IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 10:40 AM
tokio417
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you need the letter to do this maintenance? My IS experienced this a few times but it has gone away since but would still like to have this service done. The dealership wont be able to "duplicate" the problem because it hasn't had the problem for a few months now.

I registered my 2008 IS on Lexus Drivers site and found my service history. Nothing but small maintenances like alignment, squeaking brakes, and tune ups. But when I went to check the recall all I had listed for my IS was the "wiper arm nut" and "trunk release lever". Nothing about carbon build up.
Old 02-01-14, 10:55 AM
mrjazz
Driver School Candidate

Default You don't need a letter, and.....

No, you don't need a letter. If you had misfire the codes will be stored.

I had my 2008 IS 250 in for the top end cleaning about 6 months ago. I would get the little idle
"rumble" about twice a month. I still get it even though I had the carbon cleaned.

I brought the car in for service this week and my SA called back to say that they did get the codes and they already got the okay from Lexus Corporate to replace pistons, etc. My car always ran perfectly fine except for the occasional "rumble". Hope they put it together okay and it runs as good as it used to.

I've only got 29,500 miles on it. A lot of short trips. That may have contributed to the carbon build up.
I did WOT about once a month. I guess it wasn't enough.

Cheers
mrjazz
Old 02-01-14, 12:02 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Good to hear about that.
Old 02-01-14, 02:05 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

Mr Jazz, which dealership did you take your car to, if you don't mind my asking?

Originally Posted by mrjazz
No, you don't need a letter. If you had misfire the codes will be stored.

I had my 2008 IS 250 in for the top end cleaning about 6 months ago. I would get the little idle
"rumble" about twice a month. I still get it even though I had the carbon cleaned.

I brought the car in for service this week and my SA called back to say that they did get the codes and they already got the okay from Lexus Corporate to replace pistons, etc. My car always ran perfectly fine except for the occasional "rumble". Hope they put it together okay and it runs as good as it used to.

I've only got 29,500 miles on it. A lot of short trips. That may have contributed to the carbon build up.
I did WOT about once a month. I guess it wasn't enough.

Cheers
mrjazz
Old 02-02-14, 01:14 PM
mrjazz
Driver School Candidate

Jim Falk Lexus in Beverly Hills.

I've always been happy with this dealership. They are very thorough. Plus you alway get a loaner
car. I've got a 2013 IS 250 as a loaner. It's exactly like my 2008 only no Navigation. Looks. feels. and runs exactly the same. Too bad it's red!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-14, 03:39 PM
hip2no
Driver School Candidate

I had this service done at Lexus shortly after Christmas 2013. Seemed like a good thing... but now I have this tin foil noise coming from the engine. Or course, the dealer can't replicate the noise but they conveniently told me that I need to replace the transmission at $4k which is not covered under warranty (2007 IS250 with 95k miles). I have a call with Lexus Corporate because I've never had an issue with the transmission nor had this noise until after the ZLA service campaign was done.

Beware - just get a full disclosure from your dealer if you encounter any issues.
Old 02-12-14, 04:51 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say time to get rid of it if they don't do anything to help you. The piston fix did nothing to fix the issue on my car. I'm under extended warranty, but I'm done with Lexus after the first fix needed like this. They should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to put out cars with this bad engine design and not truly fixing the ones on the road already.

Last edited by is250gurl; 02-12-14 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-17-14, 11:33 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my car to the dealer twice for the carbon buildup issue, but they couldn't replicate or get any codes so wouldn't perform the TSB. Any tips on how to get the codes to come up on my own? i'm also thinking about just having the top engine clean done, just because i know the buildup is a problem. Any idea what dealership charges for this?
Old 02-18-14, 11:07 PM
Lexusis6nw
Driver School Candidate

Had my is 250 2006 replace by lexus of Glendale about 5 month ago. So far I have no issue and it is running better then before.
I live in Westminster.
Old 02-19-14, 04:27 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

I've searched the forum for TerraClean and didn't find any results for the IS. Has anyone tried this and would it help? When should I start worrying about this? I'm at 40k.
Old 02-19-14, 04:20 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by daileycon
I've searched the forum for TerraClean and didn't find any results for the IS. Has anyone tried this and would it help? When should I start worrying about this? I'm at 40k.
Very soon I suppose. I have the 2010 Is250 , 46500miles and i experienced yesterday for the first time a drop in rpm while at stop. No lights came on. the engine wanted to shut off almost. On the next stop was ok and ever since. Is this the sign on CPU?
Old 02-25-14, 06:40 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

well i guess third time is a charm. This time dealer said they confirmed the issue and will be performing the TSB. Anyone have this done at Lexus of Bridgewater? Just hope they know what they're doing.
Old 02-27-14, 10:59 PM
vinceiscoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomiv9
well i guess third time is a charm. This time dealer said they confirmed the issue and will be performing the TSB. Anyone have this done at Lexus of Bridgewater? Just hope they know what they're doing.
How many miles do you have? When was the first time you experience the issue? When and what miles did you get your repairs?
Old 02-28-14, 06:47 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

I have 60k miles on my 09 is250 AWD. bought it with 30k, started noticing carbon around 45K. Car would run/rough almost stall when i almost came to stop. it was very intermittent, but very noticable. Just got car back today. So far so good.
Old 02-28-14, 02:27 PM
vinceiscoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomiv9
I have 60k miles on my 09 is250 AWD. bought it with 30k, started noticing carbon around 45K. Car would run/rough almost stall when i almost came to stop. it was very intermittent, but very noticable. Just got car back today. So far so good.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have 45k on my 2010 is250. Starting to get worried, but I'm glad it's on a 9 year/unlimited mile warranty. My main concern right now is the clutch and transmission. I have a six speed. Been reading about the clutch issue. I hope if it's happens, it happens soon. So I can still be in the drivetrain warranty.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP