IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 02:07 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxman
Rumors and hearsay of warranty extensions, engine & piston rebuilds, and letters from Lexus. 70,000 miles upped to 150,000 miles, 9 years, etc. etc. I was told by Lexus that NO letters went out as part of any Lexus IS250 repair initiative. Although there's talk circulating out in the service bays and service tech lunchrooms if you listen hard enough. This whole thing seems like a giant coverup of a bad promise made when there were only a half-dozen reports in the country about the carbon build-up symptoms. By the look of this forum, it seems like just about every IS250 owner with a laptop has a similar complaint, and everyone's been handed a different story. For me, going directly to the top got me absolutely nowhere at all. And no dealer in the world –*no matter what your relationship with them –*is going to suck up a $4,000 engine rebuild without reimbursement from the manufacturer. And Lexus corporate told me directly –*twice –*that there was nothing they could do. Continued good luck to those given a glimmer of hope, but I'll just idly roughly at the traffic light watching my declining gas mileage and trade-in value...
You are one of maybe 3 people on the forums to receive this kind of treatment. I wonder why they would flat out deny a TSB.. did you ask about a "recall" or a "CSP"? I know it states on the service bulletin that Lexus is not issuing a recall, they are instead providing a solution for those who exhibit symptoms of the problem. So I guess they may be getting technical in that technically, there are no recalls/active repairs? It's a long shot, but I'm not sure why they would deny the TSB when thousands of people received letters in the mail.
Old 12-23-13, 12:17 PM
Dennis777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply to LUXMAN

@Luxman, Corporate lexus will say that simply because they will try to avoid the hassle, or the person you are talking to is simply undereducated in what they do and what has been issued.

I did my homework and took my car to a dealership and presented all the facts, they did all the test and I waited in their office for a day and a half, till they had it done and sent to lexus, within 2 hours lexus replied and gave the go ahead to do the engine rebuild, and said they would pay for everything.

It is warrantied for 9 years and unlimited miles granted it throws a P-code and gives the proper symptoms throughout multiples testes required of the dealership.

Good luck guys, but don't just listen to Corporate, you have to tell them what needs to happen and remind them of their own extended warranty they DID ISSUE.
Old 12-23-13, 01:40 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Its not going to fix the problem mine has been repaired since summer time and I recently notices it again.I will be taking back to Lexus during its next oil change which its going to be pretty soon. I'm going to personally look into getting out of this IS and getting into something else.
Old 12-30-13, 06:34 AM
Luxman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Alright, I am now mildly encouraged. I'm going to go back to the dealership just once more to see if they'll back me up. It's now very obvious that some dealers are in league with Lexus corporate in denying evidence of recalls, extended warranties, TSBs, and CSPs. I'll share my experience with the Club Lexus forum via a few hard copies of conversations and see how they react. Coincidentally, I added oil yesterday after 3,000 miles: 2 quarts. Hit passing gear over 35 mph and I get a smoke screen James Bond would be envious of. This is crazy – oil, mpg, idle – I started having this problem more than 12,000 miles ago...
Old 12-30-13, 08:19 AM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The noise has also returned to my car after the teardown and repair, TSB, recall or whatever the F you want to call it. It took about 11 months and 19k miles or so to come back. I don't know if I should waste my time with going through this again or if the dealer will even consider fing with it for free. It's a poor design.
Old 12-30-13, 09:57 AM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ChickenIS
The noise has also returned to my car after the teardown and repair, TSB, recall or whatever the F you want to call it. It took about 11 months and 19k miles or so to come back. I don't know if I should waste my time with going through this again or if the dealer will even consider fing with it for free. It's a poor design.
I feel the same way, love my car but this is really a F design. I'm going to be taking my car back to dealership that preformed the repair. Mine only lasted 4 months didn't last long.
Old 01-03-14, 06:46 PM
tofupunx
Driver School Candidate

Default Does the carbon build up problem affect fuel consumption?

Does this issue also contribute to poor fuel economy? Mostly I do highway driving and I'm getting consistantly about 9.4-9.6L/100kms!! I had disconnected the battery and for a short time it improved, but soon returned to where it had been. My 2.8L BMW 328i was attaining consistently 8.7L/100kms with 240,000kms on it and more power albeit about 150lbs lighter.
Old 01-07-14, 12:41 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

My dealer told me that if I have symptoms that I need to pay for a spark plug change (under 60K miles) before they will do the rebuild to see if that resolves the issue. Is that true or are they trying to make some extra $$ off of me?
Old 01-08-14, 04:25 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ajfinoak
My dealer told me that if I have symptoms that I need to pay for a spark plug change (under 60K miles) before they will do the rebuild to see if that resolves the issue. Is that true or are they trying to make some extra $$ off of me?
Yes they are trying to make money because my dealership, Lexus of Escondido, didn't charge me for the test to see if the codes for the rough idling would come up. Since my extended warranty is still in effect, they replaced my water pump too.
Old 01-09-14, 05:41 AM
iLLY
Driver School Candidate

I have an is350, im beginning to notice really rough idle when im in park. i have a video of it jumping up to almost 1.5k rpm. i wonder if its the cost of the carbon build up and would it cover the cost even if its a is350. Car has about 110k miles so im out of warranty
Old 01-09-14, 06:49 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iLLY
I have an is350, im beginning to notice really rough idle when im in park. i have a video of it jumping up to almost 1.5k rpm. i wonder if its the cost of the carbon build up and would it cover the cost even if its a is350. Car has about 110k miles so im out of warranty
Carbon build up is covered on both IS250 and IS350. Also you are not out of warranty. the warranty for this work is 9 years and unlimited miles. Go to the dealer.
Old 01-09-14, 07:04 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Carbon build up is not an issue on the IS350, hence it is not covered. Only the IS250 and GS300 have carbon build up issues and only they have the TSB's / extended warranty coverage.

I would get your IS350 checked out, something else is probably wrong with it.

Jeff
Old 01-15-14, 12:15 PM
pdpdavid
Driver School Candidate

Just putting in my experience/$.02 with Longo Lexus in El Monte:

Took my car in early in the morning. They ran the tests and submitted them for approval. Got the call back in the afternoon for approval. My MY '08 is approaching 100K miles. They took care of the wiper nut and interior trunk handle TSIB. I also had them change out the serpentine belt, spark plugs and water pump. During the take down they called back and said that there were scuffs on the rod bearings and also the slight CAM gear noise/grind during start-up. Since the rod bearings were out, they only charged for parts (if I wanted to change them), but the CAMs they wanted $600 for parts + $135 for labor. I had them submit/talk to corporate about the CAMs siting the recalls on the MY06-07 and some on the 08. They came back and told me they would make a goodwill gesture and pay for the parts if I pay the labor.

So all in all, everything for a little bit over $760. Total time my car was at the dealer was 6 days, as my SA mentioned there was one other person ahead of me. I've driven the car a couple hundred miles since, and can say it is definitely smoother...at least for now.
Old 01-15-14, 04:44 PM
dmk720
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pdpdavid

Took my car in early in the morning. They ran the tests and submitted them for approval. Got the call back in the afternoon for approval. My MY '08 is approaching 100K miles. They took care of the wiper nut and interior trunk handle TSIB. I also had them change out the serpentine belt, spark plugs and water pump. During the take down they called back and said that there were scuffs on the rod bearings and also the slight CAM gear noise/grind during start-up. Since the rod bearings were out, they only charged for parts (if I wanted to change them), but the CAMs they wanted $600 for parts + $135 for labor. I had them submit/talk to corporate about the CAMs siting the recalls on the MY06-07 and some on the 08. They came back and told me they would make a goodwill gesture and pay for the parts if I pay the labor.

So all in all, everything for a little bit over $760. Total time my car was at the dealer was 6 days, as my SA mentioned there was one other person ahead of me. I've driven the car a couple hundred miles since, and can say it is definitely smoother...at least for now.
I did mostly the same .But why?Why did I pay 35000 for a car that needs ALL these parts and repairs?My first brand new Lexus and pay for things that should never fail.Now,watch this.Catalic converters are next to fail due to misfires.
Old 01-15-14, 09:28 PM
mickificki
Driver School Candidate

good for you in getting all that done.

I went to longo in el monte after my car shook like crazy and threw a check engine light (I have a 2009 is250 with about 50k miles)...

and the check engine light was still on after i brought it in.

i received a call from the SA a few days later saying that we had several misfires and they see it in the computer, but they weren't enough to justify doing the repairs!

they said they need to see hundreds of misfires. i thought that odd since the issue is still ongoing and they've already done the top engine cleaning on the car.

almost seems like they're adjusting their policy on doing the piston upgrades...

whatever the case, it's looking less and less likely my next car will be a lexus...the thought of having to worry about the car when I drive it and ESPECIALLY when my wife drives it is stressful.

Originally Posted by pdpdavid

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP