IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Old 09-17-12, 08:52 PM
250Lexus57
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if they replaced my engine block and pistons should I be receiving this letter to I have a 09 is250 purchased second hand and had 40xxx miles when purchased and two weeks later had to take it in for misfiring and they told me its carbon buildup changed block and pistons so will I be getting this letter to????
By the way had it done back in may 2012 but I can feel a shake sometime at a stop light but rpm doesn't go down stays on normal rpm when stopped so I'll be monitoring this shaking feeling in the car only happens sometime but like I said rpm doesn't go down

Last edited by 250Lexus57; 09-17-12 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-18-12, 01:12 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ Yeah you should probably be getting a letter too anyway. And I have the same issue after the piston replacement, you can feel the shake at a stop often, but the RPM isn't moving always when it does happen.
Old 09-18-12, 08:52 PM
250Lexus57
Driver

^^^ thanks killais250 what you think should I take it in or should I just wait till the check engine and vsc lights come on?? Shaking only happens once in a while they already replaced block and pistons and they said that should clear the carbon problems..
Old 09-18-12, 09:28 PM
hypermyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 250Lexus57
^^^ thanks killais250 what you think should I take it in or should I just wait till the check engine and vsc lights come on?? Shaking only happens once in a while they already replaced block and pistons and they said that should clear the carbon problems..
They could have installed an older part. Have them check your car and check what part number they used to fix it.
Old 09-18-12, 10:04 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 250Lexus57
You're in the same boat as me then. Had the engine work done, but still having the shaking at idle. I just plan on working with corporate directly now to get some sort of solution out of it. I tried to take it back to the dealer after the piston replacement for the same issue, dealer was great about it but corporate said no to further repairs.
Old 09-18-12, 10:37 PM
250Lexus57
Driver

^^^ damn sucks I'll be having them check on it next week by any chance do you have a part number for the new parts let me know I can check what part number they put on mines since its on my invoice that I saved thanks killais250 really appreciate the reply back
Old 09-21-12, 01:22 PM
caoh14
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I just dropped my car off with the CSP notice, no questions asked! I love Lexus and their service--it's amazing!

They even gave me a loaner for a couple of days!
Old 09-21-12, 03:09 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by caoh14
I just dropped my car off with the CSP notice, no questions asked! I love Lexus and their service--it's amazing!

They even gave me a loaner for a couple of days!
Did you have any codes/problems when you took your car in? Or did you just take it in as a precautionary thing?
Old 09-21-12, 09:00 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

my IS 250 is about 6 years now...i do get rough idling once in a while..i actually have a video on it. goes away though, but if i get the letter, ill definitely taking the car to the dealer. so far engine is still great...my next will be a lexus again..outstanding customer service...well worth it...
Old 09-22-12, 02:04 AM
ILL250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woohoo! i got my letter. I was about to sell my car because of this problem but now it looks like im keeping it.
Old 09-22-12, 04:38 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I THINK with this new thing a lot of us will be keeping our cars until 300k miles on the clock lol..well i know I am...or until i put the 2JZ-GTE in it
Old 09-22-12, 09:17 AM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

so wait, does this mean we'd be getting additional 9 years of CSP, or additional 2 on top of the powertrain warranty?
The following users liked this post:
coleruffle (11-28-18)
Old 09-22-12, 04:23 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
so wait, does this mean we'd be getting additional 9 years of CSP, or additional 2 on top of the powertrain warranty?
Additional 3 actually... powertrain is 6 years... the bigger thing is unlimited miles (since powertrain stops at 70k otherwise)
Old 09-22-12, 04:28 PM
ghwanee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So do I need to have the problem in order to get the clean is what I'm assuming? Or did anyone try taking the vehicle in without the problem occuring to get the cleaning done? I feel like there's occational misfire so I made an appointment and am thinking of mentioning the problem.
Old 09-22-12, 05:27 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ghwanee
So do I need to have the problem in order to get the clean is what I'm assuming? Or did anyone try taking the vehicle in without the problem occuring to get the cleaning done? I feel like there's occational misfire so I made an appointment and am thinking of mentioning the problem.
First off, FYI, this is not just a cleaning. Pistons and piston rings will be replaced. Essentially, it's an engine rebuild. Every part of your engine will be removed. Pistons, rods, valves...everything. Think of it as major heart surgery. If you need it, do it. If you don't really need it, then surgery is just taking a risk for no reason.

-THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PERFORM CSP BASED ON YOUR COMPLAINT ALONE. They also can't do it based on stored misfire codes (think about it, you could simply create misfire codes if that was the case). They will have to make it misfire while recording data throughout the whole process. That recorded data will then be sent to Lexus. Truth is...if you actually have the problem....they shouldn't have too much trouble creating and recording the engine misfiring. If you don't have the problem, they probably won't be able to record it misfiring.

-You don't need the letter to have the CSP performed. If you have the misfire problem, bring it to the dealership.

-There are a lot of people that have heard about this that think they have the problem.....even though they don't
---The misfire at idle will shake the car quite badly. far far worse than any normal vibration
---The IS250 normally idles relatively low when the engine is warm. this is normal
----It is also normal for the idle to momentarily dip even lower when shifting to drive or reverse
----Sorry AWD guys, but AWD cars vibrate at least 3x as much as a RWD at idle. that's normal.

Bottom line is, if you're questioning whether your car is actually idling abnormally, it probably isn't. Trust me, when it actually misfires......you will know it. If it lasts long enough, the check engine light will start blinking.

You have 9 years from date of first use. if you have the problem....it will show up at some point. no reason to rush into the dealership unless you actually need the CSP.
The following users liked this post:
IWasHungry (10-14-17)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP