IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 12:16 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Take it to a different dealer and see what they say. If all else fails, contact Lexus Corporate and open a ticket. You can check to see whether the battery needs replacement yourself (google it), and the 60,000 mile service probably isn't necessary to fix the problem. Diagnostic fee should be waived/credited upon approval of the CSP.. if not, call Lexus Corp and ****** and moan until you get it.
Old 12-20-12, 12:25 PM
graphX250
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cchase231
I took my 07 250 in a couple days ago. I had the letter and have been experiencing near stalls for a couple months 1-3 times per week at warm engine temps and twice total on start up, no CEL ever thrown. They called and told me that in order to fix the problem I would need to have my throttle body cleaned at $225, battery replaced at $125, and 60,000 mile service at $700. They could not reproduce the issue and charged me a diagnostic fee of $125. I was a little disappointed because the service department is acting like the carbon build up on the valves is with out a doubt not the problem.
dang, thats messed up too.
Old 12-20-12, 06:13 PM
turboflgrl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by turboflgrl; 09-13-23 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 05:03 AM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Got "the letter" a couple of weeks ago. Took Lil Blackie in yesterday for the fuel pressure regulator check recall and told the SA we got "the letter". SA said they would checkout both. Fuel pressure was a visual and the "the letter" check required the car's computer logs to be extracted. Got a call 6 hours later saying we are done with your car "for now". We ordered parts and you will need to bring it back. My wife is picking up the car today and I'll post up info within the paperwork. No ETA on parts yet. Got a RX350 as a loaner so I was torque steering all over the place breaking the front tires loose

The IS has almost stalled when at idle at least 15 times during it's life. Never a check engine light (at least that's what my wife says). The car has also had the cold start shaking, sputtering, "cylinder out feeling" problem that was resolved each time by turning the engine off and back on. Car has 90k miles.

I know a Lexus technician and he says the problem is with the EGR sending too much oil into the intake. I agree because when I did the spark plugs I poured oil out of the plastic intake runner. Also, when I drive the car at night, I intentionally floor it with cars behind me so I can see the smoke screen 007 would be proud of.
Old 01-02-13, 09:20 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tedward88
FINALLY! That's awesome news. Thanks for the heads up. Everybody please post when they received their letters so in case any IS250 owners never received their letters, they can go ask their local Lexus service advisors.
Today after taking my vehicle to my Lexus dealer in Escondido, CA, I asked my service consultant about the recall on the IS models for engine misfire. He told me that Lexus was recalling IS models from 06-09, and he asked me was my vehicle when stopped having any rough idling. I told him yes but not every time I stopped. To be honest, I didn't even know that there was a recall for engine misfire until my co-worker who drives the same model Lexus told me that he received a letter about engine misfiring on his year's model, and that I would be receiving one as well.

Being a member of this forum, I decided to read what you all had to say. I am glad that my car is still under warranty because my service consultant told me today that he would have the mechanic test my engine for misfiring overnight. He gave me a loaner car, and before I got home, the service consultant called me to tell me that my vehicle was misfiring, and that the dealer would be taking care of that problem at no cost to me.

I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting them to correct this problem without my recall letter because I was just trying to get some information about this recall issue. Now that I am a member of this forum, I will be letting you know what happened, and what repairs were made on my vehicle. All I can say is that my dealer was willing to correct this serious problem before it gets worse on my vehicle. Talking about good customer service at Lexus of Escondido.

Last edited by Antredd; 01-03-13 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-02-13, 10:21 PM
E36Andy
Driver School Candidate

This might be a long response but I really need help with my situation...

So I knew about the carbon problem on the is250 motors but I didn't really let it bother be until 3 weeks ago my traction control light came on and I had a check engine light.

I took the car in, they cleared the code and said the car was fine and gave it back to me.

Turns it it was a misfire code when I later called back and told them they shouldn't be releasing the car to me without addressing/ fixing whatever problem I had.

I took the car back dropped it off and told them to look into it because now my car has a rough idle. They gave it back to me the next day saying " we couldn't duplicate the problem"

After calling corporate to tell them my problem the lady said "I've been keeping contact with the Service manager and he advised us to inform you to use 91 gas from Chevron"

I went back to my dealership and this time really got upset at them to at least do a top engine clean. NOW since my car doesn't have the misfire code they are trying to say they can't do anything because my car, CURRENTLY doesn't have the check engine light on.

I'm going crazy over here. Can you guys help me out? And how can I duplicate this problem to throw a misfire code on purpose. Maybe I'll go to a different dealer

Old 01-02-13, 11:47 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E36Andy

So I knew about the carbon problem on the is250 motors but I didn't really let it bother be until 3 weeks ago my traction control light came on and I had a check engine light.

I took the car in, they cleared the code and said the car was fine and gave it back to me.

Turns it it was a misfire code when I later called back and told them they shouldn't be releasing the car to me without addressing/ fixing whatever problem I had.

I took the car back dropped it off and told them to look into it because now my car has a rough idle. They gave it back to me the next day saying " we couldn't duplicate the problem"

After calling corporate to tell them my problem the lady said "I've been keeping contact with the Service manager and he advised us to inform you to use 91 gas from Chevron"

I went back to my dealership and this time really got upset at them to at least do a top engine clean. NOW since my car doesn't have the misfire code they are trying to say they can't do anything because my car, CURRENTLY doesn't have the check engine light on.

I'm going crazy over here. Can you guys help me out? And how can I duplicate this problem to throw a misfire code on purpose. Maybe I'll go to a different dealer

Don't panic. My IS250 doesn't have the carbon build up yet. I want it to happen so my car can get rid of this problem without me spending any money fixing it. my lexus SA told me that "I'm using 91 octane or higher that the chances of carbon build up or misfires are low"

Also he asked my driving style. I almost always floor it on freeways, cause I love hearing my F-sport exhaust, With the way I drive I am not letting the carbon build up with the frequency and amount of high revving driving I do.

I am not really worried cause I have an 07 IS250 72k miles and still no symptoms of carbon build up. I just hope it doesn't happen when I go on a long drive.
Old 01-03-13, 01:28 AM
E36Andy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joshohoho
Don't panic. My IS250 doesn't have the carbon build up yet. I want it to happen so my car can get rid of this problem without me spending any money fixing it. my lexus SA told me that "I'm using 91 octane or higher that the chances of carbon build up or misfires are low"

Also he asked my driving style. I almost always floor it on freeways, cause I love hearing my F-sport exhaust, With the way I drive I am not letting the carbon build up with the frequency and amount of high revving driving I do.

I am not really worried cause I have an 07 IS250 72k miles and still no symptoms of carbon build up. I just hope it doesn't happen when I go on a long drive.
what i forgot to mention was my cousin owned the car before me, and I recently found out she put in 87 gas from arco in it for the last 3 years.......

I definitely have a carbon deposit problem. At this point I'm trying to get them to work on my car since my car DID throw the misfire code.

I'm pretty sure they will eventually work on my car. It's just the fact that it's taking forever and they are playing games with me. They keep putting me off/ giving me BS excuses, "bring it next week" "we're busy this week". "were waiting for this". "were waiting for that". etc etc
Old 01-03-13, 06:51 AM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just received my car after 2 weeks.

All is well for now.

My service advisor says, "its pretty much a new engine."
Old 01-03-13, 07:18 AM
robbierace
Driver School Candidate

Taking my wife's 2006 IS250 (110k) into the dealer tomorrow for the idling issue. After reading this post, I noticed there are a lot of cars with oil consumption problems, so I plan on bringing that up too. She burns through 2 quarts of oil every 5,000 miles, which I think is pretty excessive! I've never owned a car that burns that much oil.
Old 01-03-13, 10:25 AM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E36Andy

I don't know where you are in CA; but my Lexus dealer in Escondido checked out my vehicle for me after I brought up the misfire issue. Is you vehicle still under warranty?
Old 01-03-13, 12:30 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Today, I spoke to my SA, and he let me know that my parts for the repair is on back order. It will be about two months before the parts come to my dealer. They cleaned my top end for now, and told me that my car is good to go until they replace those piston parts that's causing the misfire on my vehicle.

Last edited by Antredd; 01-03-13 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-03-13, 03:06 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Antredd
Today, I spoke to my SA, and he let me know that my parts for the repair is on back order. It will be about two months before the parts come to my dealer. They cleaned my top end for now, and told me that my car is good to go until they replace those piston parts that's causing the misfire on my vehicle.
Glad they at least offered you a temporary solution while you wait for the parts that are on back order (like many others).
Old 01-04-13, 12:19 AM
E36Andy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Antredd
I don't know where you are in CA; but my Lexus dealer in Escondido checked out my vehicle for me after I brought up the misfire issue. Is you vehicle still under warranty?
Ya its still under warranty...
Old 01-04-13, 01:23 AM
whitecel
Pole Position

Hey guys, I got my letter 2 weeks ago. Scheduled an appointment and finally took my car to Lexus Hawaii today. I thought they were gonna look at it according to the letter. I've been having this problem for years and was finally happy. But they told me today...if my car does not have the check engine light they won't even bother looking at it. So they want the car to get a cel before they'll do something? Basically they said call them when the cel happens or else they won't do anything. Wtf????

Is this true that they won't do anything unless there is a cel? Wasted my time going there...

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP