IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-12, 03:31 PM
ISmak4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meis250
hey there, what exactly did you get done in Canada? I did get the top engine clean under powertrain warranty but they were pretty tight lipped about the extended warranty (to 9 yrs). They might not make it official ever and only deal with it on a case by case basis in Canada...
Hey, I got the top engine clean and then it was alright for a week or two. Then the problem just came back and I called my local Lexus dealership and they told me to bring it in and they said they took apart my engine and replaced gaskets, spark plugs, pistons, and other stuff I don't even remember. They just told me if I wasn't under warranty it would have cost me a couple thousand dollars. Yeah, I might call them and ask them about the 9year warranty soon.
Old 10-29-12, 05:09 PM
sgmbab
Driver

If you take it in for them to diagnose this problem and youre out of warranty should you get charge? They charged me 115 for the diagnoses, hoping something will come up.

Last edited by sgmbab; 10-29-12 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-29-12, 07:38 PM
liquidfuel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sgmbab
If you take it in for them to diagnose this problem and youre out of warranty should you get charge? They charged me 115 for the diagnoses, hoping something will come up.
No. I took mine to Flow Lexus in Winston-Salem with 125k miles and I was not charged a penny. My service advisor showed me an invoice of what it would have cost if it was not under warranty.

$7098
Old 10-30-12, 05:43 AM
sgmbab
Driver

Originally Posted by liquidfuel
No. I took mine to Flow Lexus in Winston-Salem with 125k miles and I was not charged a penny. My service adviser showed me an invoice of what it would have cost if it was not under warranty.

$7098

What did you say or do? I went in telling them that my car has an oil consumption issues and it shook really bad (not exaggeration), but no code has shown up. Then the adviser told me it would cost me 115 for them to just look at it. Please help out, i feel really ripped off.
Old 10-30-12, 05:49 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Find a copy of the TSB (maybe you can PM KillaIS250, I think he just received his letter in the mail), bring it to your dealer, and tell them that because your car is exhibiting the symptoms of the carbon build-up TSB, all fees related to the issue should be waived, including the diagnostic fee. If anything, they should say that they will only charge you the fee if the problem is unrelated to the TSB. If you've already paid the fee, demand to be reimbursed. If that doesn't work, call Lexus HQ and speak to someone there. Apparently, a lot of people have been able to get resolution through them.
Old 10-30-12, 11:48 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should really threaten them about calling Lexus corporate about this issue and the dealership's unwillingness to help you with the issue when is a TSB out on there on the problem (not including letters being mailed to the owners).

That should loosen them up.
Old 10-30-12, 02:23 PM
meis250
Driver

Originally Posted by ISmak4
Hey, I got the top engine clean and then it was alright for a week or two. Then the problem just came back and I called my local Lexus dealership and they told me to bring it in and they said they took apart my engine and replaced gaskets, spark plugs, pistons, and other stuff I don't even remember. They just told me if I wasn't under warranty it would have cost me a couple thousand dollars. Yeah, I might call them and ask them about the 9year warranty soon.
Thanks ISmak4, good info to have. How bad were your symptoms? I had the rough idle once every 3-4 weeks, but it was very noticeable. Aside from the rough idle did you have any other symptoms?
Old 10-30-12, 04:24 PM
liquidfuel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sgmbab
What did you say or do? I went in telling them that my car has an oil consumption issues and it shook really bad (not exaggeration), but no code has shown up. Then the adviser told me it would cost me 115 for them to just look at it. Please help out, i feel really ripped off.
I told them about the letter I received and then took the car in to have it diagnosed. As soon as I dropped off my car there and showed them the letter, they put me in a loaner car and told me the diagnosis would take several hours. After about 2-3 hours, they called me and said they were able to replicate the issue and that they would call me back as soon as the repair was finished. It was finished 3 days later.
Old 10-31-12, 10:28 AM
Driver School Candidate

Along side of the coolant and engine oil being replaced, is the transmission oil being changed as well? and if i use Mobile 1 synthetic, should i worry about them puttin in the wrong oil after the fix?
Old 10-31-12, 11:52 AM
meis250
Driver

Originally Posted by 0975788
Along side of the coolant and engine oil being replaced, is the transmission oil being changed as well? and if i use Mobile 1 synthetic, should i worry about them puttin in the wrong oil after the fix?

I do not believe they touch the transmission oil at all. As for the engine oil, I am using Mobil 1 and I got the car back with regular dyno. I was told that the warranty repair does not cover any other type of oil...
Old 10-31-12, 12:17 PM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay... Well THANKS A LOT LEXUS....
I sold my Lexus IS250 AWD with Navigation regretfully as Lexus could not own up to this issue, and the local dealer had the 'sucks to be you' attitude when it came to this carbon build up issue. I wanted to get out of my vehicle as once you get the plague of 'rough idle' it never is really GONE. I didnt want to get socked with these 3k bills every time I took it in.

SOLD MY CAR July 01 2012, got into a truck that I HATED... sold it now I have an new accord. October 22 I get a letter telling me that my car is NOW being covered... A** Holes...

Toyota and Lexus has been striving to drum up business since their cars started running away while driving them, It really makes me upset that Lexus didnt own up to their crappy design sooner as I WOULD STILL HAVE MY CAR...

I hope that Lexus learned a lesson to own up to your mistakes and pay for them, as they have lost a customer for life...
My Local Honda dealership treats me like gold, if i have ANY problem they are happy to fix it on the spot, not jerk me around like Lexus of Omaha.

Loved my IS, but couldnt deal with an unfixable issue.
LEXUS LOST A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE.... Cadalliac keep a 2020 CTS-V for me, as that will be my next luxuary sports car...
Old 10-31-12, 01:52 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 0975788
Originally Posted by meis250
I do not believe they touch the transmission oil at all. As for the engine oil, I am using Mobil 1 and I got the car back with regular dyno. I was told that the warranty repair does not cover any other type of oil...
Correct, the warranty does not cover the cost of synthetic oil. However, if your dealership does carry Mobil 1 oil - tell them at the time of write up and all you have to do is pay the difference between what they get reimbursed for the oil from Lexus and the cost of the Mobil 1. Or, you can just bring your own in and ask them to use it...but then you are paying full price yourself.

I did something different - I let them run the regular oil in there, drove it 1k miles after the repair and then did an oil change with synthetic to get out any metal shavings or such that might be there from breaking in the new pistons. Just as piece of mind for me really.

Originally Posted by RAMAIR
I sold my Lexus IS250 AWD with Navigation regretfully as Lexus could not own up to this issue, and the local dealer had the 'sucks to be you' attitude when it came to this carbon build up issue. I wanted to get out of my vehicle as once you get the plague of 'rough idle' it never is really GONE. I didnt want to get socked with these 3k bills every time I took it in.

SOLD MY CAR July 01 2012, got into a truck that I HATED... sold it now I have an new accord. October 22 I get a letter telling me that my car is NOW being covered... A** Holes...

Toyota and Lexus has been striving to drum up business since their cars started running away while driving them, It really makes me upset that Lexus didnt own up to their crappy design sooner as I WOULD STILL HAVE MY CAR...

I hope that Lexus learned a lesson to own up to your mistakes and pay for them, as they have lost a customer for life...
My Local Honda dealership treats me like gold, if i have ANY problem they are happy to fix it on the spot, not jerk me around like Lexus of Omaha.

LEXUS LOST A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE.... Cadalliac keep a 2020 CTS-V for me, as that will be my next luxuary sports car...
Did you try contacting Lexus Corporate directly before you sold your car or did you just work with the dealer only? Because even towards the begging of this year I had no issues with my dealership taking care of the car for Carbon Build up issues (I did have CPO warranty still tho - not sure if you had a warranty)
Old 11-01-12, 08:15 AM
sgmbab
Driver

Thank you guys for all the inputs. I was able to get this warranty done without charge and get a new water pump for $350 after talking to my advisor.
Old 11-01-12, 10:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMAIR

If you got the same letter as I did, it didn't say your car is covered. It MAY be covered, if the car exhibits the issue--which you said the dealer denied.
Old 11-02-12, 02:03 AM
NSGxLEX
Intermediate

Brought my car in for an oil change @Longo Lexus today and showed my SA the CSP letter. My gf drives the car most of the time and was telling me about the rough idle at stops way before I received the letter. They kept the car to test and said they where sending the data to Lexus Corp and will get back @ me tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated.

Last edited by NSGxLEX; 11-02-12 at 06:52 AM.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP