IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07 IS350 Replacement HID bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 07:07 PM
BKECMF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I don't frequently post on this site as my car is stock but I may have some insight for the HID replacement bulbs as I've recently had my fair share of experience. In July my passenger headlight went out and I feel there are better options than what the dealership has so I took it upon myself to research, find & order exact replacement bulbs for my stock HID setup on my IS250.

After careful consideration I purchased GARAX bulbs in 6000k for a slightly bluer effect (I've always admired the effectiveness of a friend's Acura headlights and wanted a similar look). I bought the headlights from iJDMtoy on Amazon for a great price, $85 for both! After calling around the DFW metroplex (north) I found it was most cost effective to have Park Place install them for me, charged $100.

Overall, I was pleased by the color and light output and actually considered having all my lights swapped out to better match. That was UNTIL this past weekend; the passenger headlight was out again! Surely this was a wiring issue/fuse issue since I know the lifespan of a Garax Bulb supplied by iJDMtoy MUST be longer than 90 days.

I took the car into Park Place Lexus of Plano to have them check it out and as it turns out, the bulb went out, no issues with the vehicle itself. Between a rock and a hard place, I just asked the dealership to install a new headlight in place of the defective one (and of course the driver's side to match) and they did it quickly and professionally as always.

Through Amazon I contacted the seller via email requesting a refund (kept the Garax bulbs to send back to the seller). Following is the response I received from Dennis:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your purchase.

We are sorry to hear that. We apologize for the inconvenience. We are unable to take the item back for a return as it has exceed the 30 day return period. However, you are still within our 90 day warranty period. If you would like then we can warranty exchange the bulbs for you. Please let us know.

For any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at anytime.

Sincerely,
Dennis

I share this story for anyone interested with no bashing whatsoever; simply a cautionary tale for anyone interested in saving a few bucks by purchasing replacement bulbs for your vehicles.

Now? I'm out 185.00 (product and install) and back to the stock 4300k HIDs...but at the very least I have peace of mind that Lexus will stand behind these bulbs and the previous supplier will not. Hopefully my story helps you in deciding on your supplier.
Old 10-24-12, 07:06 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

What type of warranty is advertised on our site? This is why I tell people that you really need to be careful with aftermarket D4S bulbs or at least where you are purchasing the product from.

Steve
Old 10-24-12, 07:16 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BKECMF
Hello, I don't frequently post on this site as my car is stock but I may have some insight for the HID replacement bulbs as I've recently had my fair share of experience. In July my passenger headlight went out and I feel there are better options than what the dealership has so I took it upon myself to research, find & order exact replacement bulbs for my stock HID setup on my IS250.

After careful consideration I purchased GARAX bulbs in 6000k for a slightly bluer effect (I've always admired the effectiveness of a friend's Acura headlights and wanted a similar look). I bought the headlights from iJDMtoy on Amazon for a great price, $85 for both! After calling around the DFW metroplex (north) I found it was most cost effective to have Park Place install them for me, charged $100.

Overall, I was pleased by the color and light output and actually considered having all my lights swapped out to better match. That was UNTIL this past weekend; the passenger headlight was out again! Surely this was a wiring issue/fuse issue since I know the lifespan of a Garax Bulb supplied by iJDMtoy MUST be longer than 90 days.

I took the car into Park Place Lexus of Plano to have them check it out and as it turns out, the bulb went out, no issues with the vehicle itself. Between a rock and a hard place, I just asked the dealership to install a new headlight in place of the defective one (and of course the driver's side to match) and they did it quickly and professionally as always.

Through Amazon I contacted the seller via email requesting a refund (kept the Garax bulbs to send back to the seller). Following is the response I received from Dennis:

Dear Customer,

We are sorry to hear that. We apologize for the inconvenience. We are unable to take the item back for a return as it has exceed the 30 day return period. However, you are still within our 90 day warranty period. If you would like then we can warranty exchange the bulbs for you. Please let us know.

Sincerely,
Dennis

I share this story for anyone interested with no bashing whatsoever; simply a cautionary tale for anyone interested in saving a few bucks by purchasing replacement bulbs for your vehicles.

Now? I'm out 185.00 (product and install) and back to the stock 4300k HIDs...but at the very least I have peace of mind that Lexus will stand behind these bulbs and the previous supplier will not. Hopefully my story helps you in deciding on your supplier.
You need to be careful when purchasing afternarket bulbs in regards to the companies warranty.

Next time you should save yourself some money and install the bulbs yourself, its very easy. $100 to install bulbs is overkill but thats what happens when you make the dealer do it
Old 10-24-12, 03:20 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BKECMF

Dear Customer,

Sincerely,
Dennis

Sorry to hear about your troubles with this particular GARAX HID Bulb you got from us. Our company only allows returns and exchanges as long as you are within 30 days of the original purchase date. We cannot and will not accept returns or exchanges for items passed this time period.

However, as Dennis stated, you are still covered under warranty and we can have both the lights replaced under warranty for you. You would just need to send them back to us, we'll have it replaced, and sent back to at our own cost.

GARAX Bulbs are made in Japan so they are not a bulb that is manufactured by us, but the reliability of these bulbs is very good. We've sold many of these bulbs to members on here and off and there are little to no problems. Unfortunately, you received a defective item which is still covered under our warranty which we can replace for you.
Old 01-27-13, 01:21 AM
koolwip350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I'm definitely interested in this. Will the 9005 bulb fit the 2007 350? Also what are you running for your fogs and what bulb? Led as well?

Originally Posted by bob4256
Interested in something like this?