IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

shady dealership

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 07:33 PM
Ahren111
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shady dealership

The wife & I just bought a 09 IS 250 with 39k miles at a lexus dealership. Car was in great shape only a couple of very small scratches. After test driving it we looked at the car fax & it was clean no repairs or damage. We also asked the sales lady if the car had ever been in for any warranty work or had any problems. She told us no & said anything like that had to be disclosed to us. We bought the car & after having it for a week the check engine light comes on. We take it to a different dealership, the one we bought it from was 2 hrs away. Throwing a 0430 code, they replace both sensors on bank 2 & decide it not the sensors its the cat. They replace the cat & tell us the bank 1 sensors & cat was replaced 1 week before we bought the car. So basicly the dealer we bought from lied to us about the work done. Im pretty pissed about this I would have never bought it if I would have know about them replacing a cat at 38k miles. Im starting to read about auto disclosure laws. What do you guys think, anything I can do? Worth calling a lawyer?

Last edited by Ahren111; 08-31-12 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 07:40 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone can check the lexus records with a vin # for free on lexus driver, If you look up my 2IS ive done tons of warranty stuff mostly because im **** about things and of course the recalls. As long as they are fixing things under warranty then whats the point of involving a lawyer? I dont think there is any law that says a dealer has to tell you what services or repairs have been done. In most cases they do tell you because its a plus having new parts. If you havent hit 40k yet I would contact Jerry at midwest toyota and extend your lexus warranty so that IF you have any issues they are taken care of in the future. Just to give you an example last week I extended my 08 ISF warranty to 4 more years and 75k mile for 1780. There is also a 100k option. Also if you just bought the car...you can return it, read your paper work.
Old 08-31-12, 07:48 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You could talk to the sales manager and if it doesn't work, go up from there.

See if the closets dealership you went to can print out the full vehicle's service history. This way you can back this info up when talking to the selling dealership about this.

As a precaution, you could always go to a Lexus recommended autobody shop and have them perform a free inspection to see has been through any kind of damage.
Old 08-31-12, 07:53 PM
neilr11
Driver School Candidate

I do not trust anything a dealers says.
Old 08-31-12, 08:39 PM
Ahren111
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by robertrios
anyone can check the lexus records with a vin # for free on lexus driver, If you look up my 2IS ive done tons of warranty stuff mostly because im **** about things and of course the recalls. As long as they are fixing things under warranty then whats the point of involving a lawyer? I dont think there is any law that says a dealer has to tell you what services or repairs have been done. In most cases they do tell you because its a plus having new parts. If you havent hit 40k yet I would contact Jerry at midwest toyota and extend your lexus warranty so that IF you have any issues they are taken care of in the future. Just to give you an example last week I extended my 08 ISF warranty to 4 more years and 75k mile for 1780. There is also a 100k option. Also if you just bought the car...you can return it, read your paper work.
We bought the extended warranty covered to 100k. The other dealership has been great about fixing it. I dont think thats really the point, guess Im just mad about being lied to. I thought there was a law stating they had to disclose all info if asked. I'll have to look at my paper work if I can return it if so I think I might.
Old 08-31-12, 09:05 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

I think that buyers need to do their research instead of just relying on the dealer, if you asked the sales guy or someone there unless you actually see them look it up they are probably just giving you an honest answer based on what they know. What I am saying is that maybe that person really didnt know for all you know the previous owner had warranty work done and the sales guy would have no clue about it. As I previously stated on most 2IS especially the 250 if you look at the Lexus record it looks like the car had a ton of issues with all the carbon build up, valve, pedals, and service bullitens that people do on them. Not to mention the leaking pumps, shocks, and the AUX upgrade. If they are taking care of you by fixing any new issues then I dont really see the problem its not like they are trying to get away with selling you a broken car that you are stuck paying repairs on. However I 100% agree with the fact that its your money and you are the one that needs to be happy, if they left a bad taste in your mouth screw em and return the car. You dont want to think about the "what ifs" later on down the line.
Old 08-31-12, 09:12 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I think that buyers need to do their research instead of just relying on the dealer, if you asked the sales guy or someone there unless you actually see them look it up they are probably just giving you an honest answer based on what they know. What I am saying is that maybe that person really didnt know for all you know the previous owner had warranty work done and the sales guy would have no clue about it. As I previously stated on most 2IS especially the 250 if you look at the Lexus record it looks like the car had a ton of issues with all the carbon build up, valve, pedals, and service bullitens that people do on them. Not to mention the leaking pumps, shocks, and the AUX upgrade. If they are taking care of you by fixing any new issues then I dont really see the problem its not like they are trying to get away with selling you a broken car that you are stuck paying repairs on. However I 100% agree with the fact that its your money and you are the one that needs to be happy, if they left a bad taste in your mouth screw em and return the car. You dont want to think about the "what ifs" later on down the line.
I couldn't have said it better. I've noticed a few new members lately that had some things to gripe about after their new purchase are usually the ones that buy the first car they looked at and didn't inspect it as thoroughly as they should. I would definitely bring it back to the dealer you bought it from and address the issue and go from there. Chances are they will rectify the issue before it escalates. Good luck OP
Old 08-31-12, 09:15 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahren111
We bought the extended warranty covered to 100k. The other dealership has been great about fixing it. I dont think thats really the point, guess Im just mad about being lied to. I thought there was a law stating they had to disclose all info if asked. I'll have to look at my paper work if I can return it if so I think I might.
How would the salesperson know, or specifically, want to know? I'm sure they deliberately do not want to know much of the history of a used vehicle, and "to the best of their knowledge don't know", etc, etc.

In the words of Mike Brady... "caveat emptor" (buyer beware).
Old 08-31-12, 10:01 PM
Ahren111
Driver School Candidate

The "what ifs" down the line are what scares me. I asked the dealer who fixed it for us what they thought the reason was for both cats going bad at under 40k miles. They think it was some sort of fuel contaminant of bad fuel. If that's the case my worrie is what else is it going to cause to go bad besides the cats.
Old 08-31-12, 11:10 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

^makes sense, however if thats the case then whatever is gonna go bad is gonna go soon. Did you do the valve spring recall yet? If you do, do the spark plugs at the same time even though it might not yet be due (no labor charge). Anyhow that "nice" dealer will be straight with you...best part about the warranty is that the dealers bill Lexus Corp so they will fix whatever goes bad no questions asked. I think youll be fine but there are tons of 2IS out there, go with your gut. This should be enjoyable!
Old 09-01-12, 08:09 AM
gstuiep
Driver School Candidate

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. After working in the service dept at a Toyota dealership, I can tell you, there is very little communication between the sales department and the service department. Many salesmen/women dont know anything about cars. Many couldnt even show you where the dipstick, let alone, oil filter is located.

Sounds like you have a good relationship with the dealer that is closer to you. I would ocntinue to have the vehicle serviced there.

Another thing many people don't realize about warranty, if you have a complaint under warranty, and the dealer documents it and acknowledges the issue, if they are not able to correct it and the vehicle goes out of warranty, Toyota/Lexus is still responsible for correcting the problem. Again, it must be a documented issue while the vehicle is still under warranty.
Old 09-03-12, 02:44 PM
Ahren111
Driver School Candidate

^makes sense, however if thats the case then whatever is gonna go bad is gonna go soon. Did you do the valve spring recall yet? If you do, do the spark plugs at the same time even though it might not yet be due (no labor charge). Anyhow that "nice" dealer will be straight with you...best part about the warranty is that the dealers bill Lexus Corp so they will fix whatever goes bad no questions asked. I think youll be fine but there are tons of 2IS out there, go with your gut. This should be enjoyable!
I thought the valve spring recall was only for 350s?
Old 09-03-12, 09:33 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if the dealer didn't know about the repair? Was the repair done at a Lexus dealer or private shop?
Old 09-03-12, 09:37 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ahren111
I thought the valve spring recall was only for 350s?
It was actually the carbon build up issue I got that and my water pump replaced at the same time and they replaced my spark plugs at no additional charge other than the parts so like 70-80 dollars.
Old 09-03-12, 09:39 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iRock
What if the dealer didn't know about the repair? Was the repair done at a Lexus dealer or private shop?
True if its not in the Lexus driver service history and done by a DIYer or at an independent shop there is really no way a dealer would know...

Quick Reply: shady dealership