It's been fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 11:43 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default It's been fun

Well friends,

It's been a long time coming. My IS350 has found a new home. So I'm out of the game for a while. As I sit here and look back on my ownership of her for the past 4 years, we've had only good times (minus the uhaul incident ) but that's neither here nor there. I want to wish it's new owner as much good times as I've had (he's a HUGE lexus fan, so I know it'll be treated perfectly!)

I guess I can leave you all with a friday story, as this deal almost didnt happen. Maybe it'll help someone out in the process of selling or buying so maybe you can avoid some of the headaches, however I dont think they were avoidable

It all started when he contacted me about purchasing. I knew I was going to have a while to find the right buyer, and luckily this was him. However there was a big problem looming. He called me, and we discussed price and date and time and everything was set. So what's the problem? Distance! I live in New Hampshire for work now....he lives in Minnesota....the bank who had the title....Ohio.

You can see where this is going

He had a concern, even though I was a good guy, having someone wire to a bank, on the HOPE that you would send them not only the car but the title, is a long shot. I'm not a scammer, but I for darn sure could see his point. I was to the point where I was willing to send him pictures of the car loaded on the truck and for him to wire it. But that could've left me high and dry without payment.

We both knew we weren't going to take advantage, but due to the nonsense that people do, we had to protect ourselves. So what did we do? He sent his son with a certified check to meet me in Ohio. Which left me with a 16 hour drive back to the great state of Ohio. Which I vowed NEVER to drive again. I left at 8 pm, to arrive smelly, in and out of a dazed mindset with about 40 miles to go, I call to my bank and request to have the filed pulled and that I was going to pay off the loan with a certified bank check.........I hear a pause on the other end....and then am told....well...there's a 5 day hold on certified checks for the title...

To say I went nothing short of Ari Gold on this teller, would be a lie. I dont know what words were said in my state of pissed off confusion that we were never told of this, and that we've talked with everyone and their mom and NO ONE told it, but it better be taken care of when I got there. 15 hours driving is not what you want to find out that it all can't be taken care of. I look down at the speedo....83 mph. And like clockwork, look up ahead and see a cop in the median

(SON OF A BIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH) I knew it, I just pulled over at that point after see him pull out. He pulls behind me with a confused face of "how'd you know" Our convo was the typical why were you speeding. Unto which I tell him about driving from south canada to sell my car. I see him look into my passenger seat and it looks like I'm sponsored by redbull and 5 hour. I'm sure I smelled like hell too

which prompted him to say, I'm gonna let you go, you've had a rough trip, good luck at the bank! HEYYYYYYYYO not all coppers are bad!!!

Back on the road, I finally get to the bank, to see his son waiting with his friend for the transaction. We greet each other, and I prep him on how ****'s about to go down Once inside, I guess my reputation had preceeded me, as I walk to the loan counter to state my case. The tellers eyes gets big (I already know she believes this wont be a possibility) she directs me to a loan officer who I kindly say here's the deal, someone knows how to get this done today. I smell, I'm tired, I've had to take off work for this, anything less would be unnacceptable. She assures me she will do what she will do her best.

after 20 minutes we get a response that we are good to go, and we finalize the deal. At that point I reflected on all the good times we've had. I must say, for all you modders out there, you dont really notice how sexy of a car you have, until you see it driving off.

I now get to find me a cheap winter beater

So long until we meet again clublexus folks
Old 08-31-12, 12:52 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best lunch story ever....

I'm glad to hear it worked out.
Old 08-31-12, 01:13 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Yeah, the large check hold time is normal...unless you have an account with that bank and have in the account that much money and then some. Found this out when dealing with my insurance company and their check to cover my new roof on the house.

Sounds like you've enjoyed your stay. Come back soon!
Old 08-31-12, 01:48 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyK02
I must say, for all you modders out there, you dont really notice how sexy of a car you have, until you see it driving off.
True story.
Old 08-31-12, 02:36 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

when reading I was getting worried for you. Congrats on the sale and the smooth transaction at the bank. Thanks to the cool cop too! Take care.
Old 08-31-12, 03:27 PM
Quik208
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear everything worked out in the end.
Old 08-31-12, 03:55 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Youll be missed man!! Some of your posts had me ROFLMAO!! Take it EASY!!
Old 08-31-12, 04:25 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, thanks for sharing your story. I'm really glad it all worked out for you in the end. Kudos to the cop for understanding.

I agree with watching your modded car drive away statement. Fortunately for me, my future in-laws bought mine so I see it once in a while.
Old 08-31-12, 06:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Good luck in your future car endeavors
Old 08-31-12, 09:38 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Good luck with the new car hope to see you back I'm sure you'll still be around to contribute to the community
Old 09-01-12, 03:20 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear it all worked out! Good luck with everything, hopefully we see you back in another Lexus soon!
Old 09-01-12, 08:38 AM
es808
Pole Position

Mikey...great story and thanks for sharing. Sad to see you go but hopefully you can join us again.
Old 09-04-12, 07:04 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I one day will be back I'm sure (come onnnnnnnn ISF, keep on droppin in cost) I guess it'd only be right to wrap up this lovely deal with a picture of what has replaced the IS350. Keep in mind I do a lot of driving and live in South Canada.

So what car could possibly replace the refinements, sophistication, class and appeal of the IS350?

A subaru :facepalm:

Never in my life would I think I'd be typing out those words.

Here she is, the new DD

now so far, it's been pretty fun. It's just what I wanted, a small compact awd car, that gets some what good gas mileage. To be honest, I had to compromise. I told the wife I'd only get this car....if in the spring I can get another NSX. So time to get my hippy political bumper stickers and fit in here
Old 09-04-12, 07:28 PM
joeker
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeyK02
. At that point I reflected on all the good times we've had. I must say, for all you modders out there, you dont really notice how sexy of a car you have, until you see it driving off.
this sums it all up. to this day, i miss having my black on black
Old 09-04-12, 08:55 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol what a hellish story
congrats on the sale
i used to work at the bank, would always get a earfull when saying those CC have holds

Quick Reply: It's been fun