IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

broke something changing my spark plugs???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 06:09 PM
jbone29
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default broke something changing my spark plugs???

What is this? My VSC light is on, traction control light and check engine light.
Attached Thumbnails broke something changing my spark plugs???-plug-1.jpg   broke something changing my spark plugs???-plug-2.jpg   broke something changing my spark plugs???-plug-3.jpg  
Old 08-22-12, 05:17 AM
jbone29
Lead Lap

73 views with no reply, ok. My main question is my car safe to drive? Anyone know what this sensor is for or what it does. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Old 08-22-12, 07:18 AM
Hybryd40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be a knock sensor
Old 08-22-12, 07:22 AM
Hybryd40
Driver School Candidate

I am just taking a stab in the dark here since no one else has left a reply

What is a knock sensor?

A knock sensor is a low voltage producing device (a signal producer) that allows your vehicle to run at the very peak of advanced engine timing without allowing very damaging engine knock caused by cylinder pre-ignition. Today's motors have high output or horsepower and have very low quality gas to run them. The engine knows that the fastest way to increase performance is to automatically advance the timing. The knock sensor lets the ECU know when knocking occurs so it can retard the timing a bit and stay at the maximum RPM's possible without damaging the engine.

How does it work?

The knock sensor is located in the engine valve or cylinder at the back of the motor or it can be located in the intake manifold close to the point where it connects to the engine block. Seated in these positions next to the cylinder, the sensor can feel the vibration of engine knocking caused by costly pre-ignition. Feeling the vibration, it emits a small voltage charge that is transmitted back to the ECU. The ECU, now understanding that the engine knock is occurring, retards the timing until the sensor does not feel any further vibrations.

Is engine knock really that bad?

Engine knock is definitely bad. The knocking is created by the ignition of fuel and air inside the cylinder before the valve reaches the highest point of the rotation where combustion is supposed to occur. At the minor end of the spectrum, this causes inefficient gas use and rough idle or vibration while driving. On the more severe side, this ignition of fuel can cause very costly wear and burn damage to cylinder heads, the cylinders themselves, gaskets, and pistons. Repairs can easily get into the thousands of dollars.

Does the knock sensor do anything else?

Because of its function of only reducing the timing of the ignition at the point there is a knock, the sensor allows your ECU to push your timing to the very edge of it's performance without costly damage to your motor. This translates into more efficient fuel consumption, better horsepower, and longer engine life.

How will I know if I have a faulty knock sensor?

We're not being funny here, but you would experience engine knocking and vibration. The knocking can become increasingly loud where you can hear it over your engine noise. If that doesn't happen, you will experience rough acceleration with a jerking sensation like you are hitting a speed limiter. You may also experience misfires, backfires, or smell a strong engine exhaust or burning smell from the pre-ignition happening in the cylinders.
Old 08-22-12, 07:25 AM
Hybryd40
Driver School Candidate

I could be totally wrong here. Just trying to help you out. Someone else feel free to chime in
Old 08-22-12, 08:00 AM
jbone29
Lead Lap

i googled knock sensor for is350. Does not look like that is what it is. I emailed the pictures to my Lexus dealership. Waiting to see what they say it is.
Old 08-22-12, 08:46 AM
jbone29
Lead Lap

it is a vvt(variable valve timing solenoid. Lexus said part is $132 and i have not got the labor cost yet, probably going to a ton of money. i will update when i find out.
Old 08-22-12, 09:26 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jbone29
73 views with no reply, ok...
How many of the 73 views knew what the answer was and have the expertise to answer?

Patience is a virtue. You need to wait for the right person with the appropriate expertise to come in to be able to answer.
Old 08-22-12, 09:43 AM
Boostd
Driver

Oil Control Valve. Sewell has them for around $88.00. Easy to replace.
Old 08-22-12, 09:45 AM
Boostd
Driver

And I forgot... No I wouldn't drive the car.
Old 08-22-12, 09:50 AM
Boostd
Driver

If you changed the plugs then you can change this out. One bolt, put oil control valve in and replace bolt, connect electrical connector. Done. I wouldn't pay anybody to fix that. You did break the wiring harness itself did you?
Old 08-22-12, 03:18 PM
jbone29
Lead Lap

i actually didn't break the the vvt, i broke the plastic piece that's connected to it. i drove the car around the block after i got done with the spark plugs and it drove great. It drove better than it ever has since i bought the car earlier this year. The mechanic told me if the vvt was broke it would not have any power and it would drive like crap. he told me to unhook the negative on the battery and drive it again. i drove my wifes car today and mine is in the garage. Hopefully, nothing is broke and i can just glue the plastic piece that broke back together. Let you know what happens later....
Old 08-22-12, 03:23 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can a the new connector for cheaper at Sewell Lexus parts with CL discount (need to register)

http://is.sewellparts.com/

Probably better to replace it than to leave it the way it is.