IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

30 y/o guy would rather have an ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 09:23 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 30 y/o guy would rather have an ES 350

I'm a 30 y/o guy and I have a 2009 IS 250, which I bought brand new. The past three years of ownership have been okay.

Things I like:
- Smooth and quiet V6 with pretty good fuel economy
- Seating position, RWD weight balance, and small overall car size makes it feel very nimble

Things I don't like:
- Recently changed front tires to Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT, which have really stiff sidewalls so the ride is now too rough. Had to drop the pressures to 30psi to make it bearable. Unfortunately there isn't much choice for a 225/40R18 grand touring type of tire that is soft and quiet.
- The front suspension setup chews front tires and tramlines like crazy.
- Small back seat and doesn't fold so no utility.

I took my car in today to get the aux input whine and some rattles fixed, and they gave me a 2012 ES 350 loaner, which I actually think more suits my relaxed driving style. It's very soft and quiet. I don't like the design of the interior, but I think the next gen 2013s look great.

But the big obstacle is, the ES has a reputation as being an old man's car! Am I too young to be looking at an ES? What do you guys think??

I also took the loaner to the Audi dealership (lol!) to test drive the A6 2.0T FWD CVT. I actually don't mind the FWD and liked the CVT because it was very smooth, but I don't like how 4 cylinder engines have a very gruff sound at low rpm. So I would greatly prefer V6s but the A6 3.0T is much more expensive, and no longer has the fuel economy advantage.
Old 08-21-12, 09:45 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for GS, sporty yet big and comfortable and mature......ES is basically a Camry in different jacket. How the ES is made is by taking best 2 of every 100 Camry Engines/Chassis and using that for ES (or rumours has it at least)
Old 08-21-12, 09:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had ES loaners...It's nice enough on the highway in straight lines, and the back seat is larger, but taking even a single turn at anything over 5 mph is enough to insure I've no interest in one vs. an IS, it handles like a huge heavy boat in comparison.
Old 08-21-12, 09:57 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I am done with my 2011 IS350 I will move to a larger model. You cannot put adults in the back seat comfortably.
Old 08-21-12, 09:58 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The ES is lexus best selling sedan and last time I sat in one, the luxuary material inside it was pretty top notch. If the driving style suits you, I see no reason not to trade in your car. The new ES is suppose to be a little sportier than the last gen so I think it will match perfectly with you.

In addition, this is probably when you'll get the most money for your current IS because lexus just announced the IS will take an additional year before its refresh. The longer you wait, the more your car's value will drop. With the ES just being release, you can enjoy having a new car for at least another 6 years

And lastly, why do you care about the image of your car...do you buy things to please other people? What are you, in high school? Your 30, a full grown adult, buy things that work for you, not other people. I think its fine for you to be driving an ES at 30, that's usually the age people start to have kids and need to have a bigger backseat.
Old 08-21-12, 10:12 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if you want sporty, IS/GS

if you want comfy: ES/LS
Old 08-21-12, 10:42 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go for the GS or 5 series BMW
Old 08-21-12, 10:43 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Go for GS, sporty yet big and comfortable and mature......ES is basically a Camry in different jacket. How the ES is made is by taking best 2 of every 100 Camry Engines/Chassis and using that for ES (or rumours has it at least)
The ES chassis is not related to the Camry, this is one of those urban legends that refuse to go away.

@Toymota: The new ES looks sporty enough with the spindle gril. Beside, why do you care what others think of the car? What's important is how you like it and feel when driving it.
Old 08-21-12, 10:50 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

I don't think there's anything wrong with you getting an ES350 if you like it. Just so happens that you prefer that at this point in time. When I had one as a loaner years ago, I thought it felt nice, plush, and adequate in straight speed, but it didn't feel agile or engaging enough.
Old 08-21-12, 10:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
The ES chassis is not related to the Camry, this is one of those urban legends that refuse to go away.
Probably because it's true for most of the existence of the ES-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_ES

The first five generations of the ES were built on the Toyota Camry platform.

The new 6th gen, JUST introduced, is the first that isn't based on the Camry platform.

it's based on the Toyota Avalon platform instead.
Old 08-21-12, 11:24 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by My0gr81

@Toymota: The new ES looks sporty enough with the spindle gril. Beside, why do you care what others think of the car? What's important is how you like it and feel when driving it.
The older ES is based off Camry, the new 2013 models have switched over to be based off of Avalon

Last edited by reyoasian; 08-21-12 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-21-12, 11:25 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz

The new 6th gen, JUST introduced, is the first that isn't based on the Camry platform.

Yep

Just saw your post after lol.
Old 08-21-12, 11:37 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your tire issues are just a matter of finding the right tire. My Continentals (MUCH quieter than stock) are quiet enough for me and have a 50K mile warranty. The Dunlops you mention are max performance summer tires, they're going to be loud and have crap treadlife. How long do you expect the tires to last?

As far as the small/nonfolding back seat goes, you knew that coming in so there's nothing that can be done.

Honestly, just get an RX or a CT if you're going to buy a new car.
Old 08-21-12, 11:43 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man the new es is very nice. If you are okay with how it handles.... get one
Old 08-21-12, 11:43 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz

That same link also goes into details:

first gen: The ES 250 was based on the Toyota Camry Prominent/Vista (V20),[7] Japan-market sedans which were never sold in the United States.

second gen: The Windom itself shared elements with the latest generation of the Japan-market Toyota Camry Prominent (V30)

thrid gen: Not specific, but refers to an evolution to the Windom

fourth gen: More references to the Windom

Overall, while the ES is related to the JDM model Camry/Windom platforms, that model/platform is not the same as the USDM Camry and was never offered here as a Toyota branded product.

Correction: The 5th gen ES (2006-9) is based on the USDM Camry, my bad. The 6th gen is not, nor did the first 4 gen either.

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-21-12 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: 30 y/o guy would rather have an ES 350