IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 & GS300 piston replacement warranty policy rumor

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 08:45 AM
RandomTech
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS250 & GS300 piston replacement warranty policy rumor

From the Lexus HQ grapevine, to help resolve misfire issues many D4 direct injection cars have, Lexus is finalizing a special campaign that will cover piston replacement for 9 years/unlimited miles. Grapevine also predicts half of all D4 cars will require the updated pistons, with 5-10% of those needing new blocks. Criteria for this repair are very strict and will require HQ approval on a per-case basis, ie. don't be an idiot and start demanding a new engine.

This is not a recall, still unconfirmed, and the timeframe Lexus will go live with this is unknown. All of the above is subject to change.

TL; DR - Lexus continues to take care of its guests when it shouldn't by giving away free bottom end rebuilds, proving why they consistently rank highest in dealer-service satisfaction and highest initial quality surveys.
Old 08-20-12, 09:33 AM
teefar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, I hope this is true. Sounds plausible...
Old 08-20-12, 10:36 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

Yes I got some piston slapping from start up and I purchased it with 76,000. I need it taken care of.
Old 08-20-12, 10:46 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If this becomes a reality I for one will give it to Toyota/Lexus for taking care of their clients.
Old 08-20-12, 11:03 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If this does prove to be true, I hope this isn't just the same pistons that are being replaced under the current TSIB. I've already had those put in and still have the carbon build up issue. My SA did tell me he believes corporate is up to something bigger than the current TSIB tho, so i hope this is it....
Old 08-20-12, 11:49 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
If this does prove to be true, I hope this isn't just the same pistons that are being replaced under the current TSIB. I've already had those put in and still have the carbon build up issue. My SA did tell me he believes corporate is up to something bigger than the current TSIB tho, so i hope this is it....
In your specific case, I still think you should contact Lexus directly and ask what is up and why they declined further work. If 5-10% of cars require a short block and your dealer didn't diagnose that, I can see Lexus wanting the dealer to eat some of the labor on the re-work, hence your dealer's reluctance to re-do the work.

PS: I am assuming you just had the pistons done, not the short block.
Old 08-20-12, 04:25 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Short blocks are extremely rare. Most cylinder wall look new upon inspection, even with a dead horrible misfire. The piston jobs I've done at high or low miles all looked awesome, the bores measuring 1/10000th withing spec.

In response to piston slap: every IS250 does it, bar none, and it is normal. If it is only on cold start and goes away in 1-3 seconds, its likely cam gears that are bleeding oil pressure. This is a nuisance issue only. See your dealer and they can diagnose it.
Old 08-20-12, 05:00 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

This would be great if they actually do it.
Old 08-20-12, 05:13 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

That's great news!
Old 08-21-12, 08:03 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTech
Short blocks are extremely rare. Most cylinder wall look new upon inspection, even with a dead horrible misfire. The piston jobs I've done at high or low miles all looked awesome, the bores measuring 1/10000th withing spec.

In response to piston slap: every IS250 does it, bar none, and it is normal. If it is only on cold start and goes away in 1-3 seconds, its likely cam gears that are bleeding oil pressure. This is a nuisance issue only. See your dealer and they can diagnose it.
There are some IS350s out there that also have piston slap when it gets cold up here,...
Old 08-22-12, 08:25 AM
S2KIS250
Driver School Candidate

posted this in the carbon build up thread...lexus wants to know about these issues directly! i kind got the feeling from the call that this may happen!

my fiance called the dealership back and spoke with the service manager about our issues. she explained the symptoms, that we had 2 CEL/CHECK VSC appearances in 2 days, and that it went away after re-starting, and nothing was showing up on our scanner. He said that of course they could have a look at it for the diagnostic fee (if nothing showed up) or we could keep trying to get it to misfire again on our own and then pull the code right away and bring it to them.

the SM then further went on to tell us that "we should feel good/lucky that the CEL has gone away on it's own, as its probably nothing serious, and that the sensors are very sensitive which could be the cause"

seriously? i don't know about you guys but if my car is throwing warning lights at me, even if they're gone for now, something WAS/IS wrong in there, you can't just write that off the board.

We called lexus of canada and spoke with them for about 30min. we told them the situation with both the car and the dealership, and they were definitely alot more helpful. They opened up a formal case for us, and they actually wanted me to post here that Lexus wants more people to call in and open cases/complain about the carbon build up issues and not just go to the dealership. They want people to do so, so that they can look into it further and maybe end up issuing a recall or something rather, but need more reports of it first hand.

they did tell us that of course we will need to throw a CEL code for any work to be done now, but they told us that if we can't get a replicated code by the time our powertrain warranty runs out (next july i think) that we have an open case with them, had the issue before IN warranty, and would work it out with management to get everything right.

So as for now, we're going to keep the scanner in the car, and i'm sure the car will throw the code again and we'll get it fixed that way. but it would definitely be a good idea for everyone to start writing/calling in and describing their issues with the 250 Carbon build up, and make lexus take note and give us extended warranties/recalls for this issue that they definitely know about!
Old 08-22-12, 05:09 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

They already replaced my pistions haven't heard it since and hope it doesn't come back.
Old 08-22-12, 06:33 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Good. I was going to dump the car next year at the end of the powertrain warranty, but at least now I can wait a bit longer for better product on the market.
Old 08-22-12, 07:53 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a misfire every now and then. On average it's like twice every month. Took my car in right before the warranty expired, specifically pointing out the carbon build up. I also told the service representative that the car stalled in the middle of an intersection twice in the past. They did all their check ups and found nothing. I'm out of warranty now, and i have a feeling that the issue may get worst. So in conclusion: i'm getting rid of this piece of crap next year. 'Only' 70K on the odo and the car has already such issues. My 96 altima that had 256K run like a champ compared to Lexus.
Old 08-23-12, 11:20 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
I have a misfire every now and then. On average it's like twice every month. Took my car in right before the warranty expired, specifically pointing out the carbon build up. I also told the service representative that the car stalled in the middle of an intersection twice in the past. They did all their check ups and found nothing. I'm out of warranty now, and i have a feeling that the issue may get worst. So in conclusion: i'm getting rid of this piece of crap next year. 'Only' 70K on the odo and the car has already such issues. My 96 altima that had 256K run like a champ compared to Lexus.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you as far as getting rid of the car goes. I've had the top engine clean and the replacement pistons done and still have the carbon build up issue. I still get the shaking every now and then.....very upsetting to have all these issues before the car hit even 75k. If there's not a good enough fix for this by the time my CPO warranty expires next year, I'm just going to sell the car.

If you do have the issue outside of warranty though, try and contact corporate. Since you've taken it in for the issue before they might be willing to help you out. Still from what iv'e experienced, its a temporary fix at best.

Quick Reply: IS250 & GS300 piston replacement warranty policy rumor