IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

getting my is 350 soon i hope. need opinion on new wheels..

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 12:24 AM
pogijeffre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting my is 350 soon i hope. need opinion on new wheels..

Hey guys. i pretty much have my mind set on Works-vsxx burning black. only problem is i just dont know what size to get, 19's or 20's... what would you guys prefer.? i would love to put 20's but i just dont want them to look large on the car. i would love 19's but also too, i dont want them to look small on the car. i'm also debating whether to put a body kit on. i also got my mind set on the Wald Kit. clean IMO....

my other problem is that i just dont know what off set to get. i dont want to do major fender work just to make it fit, but i do want it to look a little aggressive. just flushed with the fender at least. Any suggestions would be great. and i see alot of rim specs and i just dont understand the O-disc and R-disc terminology... anybody could elaborate on this please... thank you

Last edited by pogijeffre; 08-16-12 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-16-12, 12:29 AM
str8hust1a
Pole Position

get the car first....
Old 08-16-12, 12:39 AM
pogijeffre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by str8hust1a
get the car first....
i should this weekend... i plan to get everything right away. i just want to be prepared to order the wheels as soon as i get the car. im the type to have the car lowered w/ nice set of wheels the first month of having the car. it's ok if u dont want to help...

this is what i have now, and handing over to my brother... i used spacers, and i hated it due to the fact that it sometime vibrate. so i just wanted to know the perfect to get on the IS just so that i could avoid spacers. thats all
http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w2...reys-w203.html

Last edited by pogijeffre; 08-16-12 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-16-12, 12:40 AM
GSE21tuner
Rookie

Agreed. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Get the car first. But either wheel will work. Are you going coils, springs, or bags?
Old 08-16-12, 12:50 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Most people would probably agree that 19s are ideal for the IS350.

These are 19s and as you can see you can get a very flush, aggressive look with them -

Another example -

IDK if you think that's too small or not. IMO 19s are the perfect compromise between aesthetics and ride quality. You have to worry less about rubbing, etc.
Old 08-16-12, 12:53 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

20s can look good from far away, as seen in this picture -

but IMO they look too bulky for the car up close.
Old 08-16-12, 01:00 AM
pogijeffre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSE21tuner
Agreed. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Get the car first. But either wheel will work. Are you going coils, springs, or bags?
your right... i plan to drop with coils... im not an airbag guy... the proble i really have is knowing the right offset. i look at so many cars on this forum, and every setup has different offsets. want to flush but at the same time the wheel has to go in the fender if going over bumps or having weight on the rear without having to rub on the fender. i dont want to sacrifice haing the fender pulled to make it work
Old 08-16-12, 01:03 AM
pogijeffre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmvp29
20s can look good from far away, as seen in this picture -

but IMO they look too bulky for the car up close.
it does look a little bulky on the rear, but looks nice though from far away. its a really tough decision to make. because with 19's i just dont want the ride too low when eliminating the gap between the fender and the rim. thats the look im after.

who's car is that? i would to see more pictures if any.

Last edited by pogijeffre; 08-16-12 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-16-12, 01:27 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Your MB looks clean! W/E setup you go with I'm sure you will make it fancy. =)
Old 08-16-12, 05:22 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

20's and no kit, even lowered you'll look funny. Go 19's

And you seem to be in a rush but i hope you know Work wheels and a Wald kit will both take 8-12 weeks to get once ordered. Also, you'll have to check with Work/Distributors, but I want to say they discontinued doing burning black VS-XX could be wrong though, since its just a face finish and they still make the wheels.

As far as offsets, you want to be flush but you want to tuck...theres a fine line between being flush and tucking, and that line occurs when the wheel hits your fender. Do your homework and pick some offsets and widths. Go R-disc front and O-disc in the rears, unless youre planning on some BBK.
Old 08-16-12, 09:50 AM
pogijeffre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heyarms
20's and no kit, even lowered you'll look funny. Go 19's

And you seem to be in a rush but i hope you know Work wheels and a Wald kit will both take 8-12 weeks to get once ordered. Also, you'll have to check with Work/Distributors, but I want to say they discontinued doing burning black VS-XX could be wrong though, since its just a face finish and they still make the wheels.

As far as offsets, you want to be flush but you want to tuck...theres a fine line between being flush and tucking, and that line occurs when the wheel hits your fender. Do your homework and pick some offsets and widths. Go R-disc front and O-disc in the rears, unless youre planning on some BBK.
Thx for all the info. I hope they didn't discontinue the burning blacks. Because I love those. bTW what does the r-disc or o-disc mean anyway?
Old 08-16-12, 10:03 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

19.5's all the way around. Perfect compromise.
Old 08-16-12, 10:04 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Go with 19x9.5+35front & 19x10.5+35 rear. Most you'll need is roll the fender a little. If you dont wanna roll +40 offset .

Last edited by laobo979; 08-16-12 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-16-12, 10:22 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pogijeffre
Thx for all the info. I hope they didn't discontinue the burning blacks. Because I love those. bTW what does the r-disc or o-disc mean anyway?
1. work wheel's disk type designation is related to brake caliper clearance and lip size. because the IS350 has larger brake calipers in the front, you'll need to run R-Disk, which have the smallest lip size of the three disk types. in the rear, you can run O-Disk, which have the largest lip size but will only clear the smaller rear brake calipers.

in short:
R-Disk = BBK friendly/smallest lip size
A-Disk = standard brake caliper friendly/middle-of-the-road lip size
O-Disk = small brake caliper friendly/largest lip size

2. ... and it appears they did discontinue the burning black finish on the VS-XX's, as it's no longer listed:

VS-XX website
VS-XX spec PDF
Old 08-16-12, 11:35 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

As others have said get the car first, the following threads below will help you. 18's came with my car and I thought they were too small. 19's is my winter set up and and 20s is my summer set up. No issues with any. I don't think 20s are too big at all. Theres only a handful of us that run them on here. Most members go with 19s.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ead-index.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tart-here.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...el-thread.html

Quick Reply: getting my is 350 soon i hope. need opinion on new wheels..