IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Did I get scammed by the dealer ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 07:32 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...sorry guys I checked the part number where is says "08889-80609 Disc Brake Caliper G". It's Disk Caliper GREASE -_-. Guess it was just Brake Pads and Rotors. I was thinking that I guess $50 isn't too bad for a caliper but I don't get why they would change it. Makes everything seem a bit more reasonable I guess.

Jeff, the things listed

97650 CP $200
1 04007-35153 Pad Kit, FR DISC BRA $226.18
1 04945-53050 SHIM KIT, ANTI SQUEA $65.52
2 43512-30310 DISC, FR $143.87
1 08887-80608 DISC BRAKE CALIPER G $50.08

Shop Charges $20

Labor Cost was $200. Doesn't actually show how many hours.

See everything is cut off LOL. Along with the service manager saying one caliper was getting replaced... sorry for my confusion. The service manager really said one of the front calipers was getting replaced... Sorry guys I feel stupid. Honest mistake.

Last edited by Snyperifle; 08-14-12 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 07:40 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So $900 to replace pads and front rotors?

My friend nothings changed, you still got scammed

All kidding aside I'd be interested to know what the actual charges for labor and each part were.
Old 08-14-12, 07:55 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
So $900 to replace pads and front rotors?

My friend nothings changed, you still got scammed

All kidding aside I'd be interested to know what the actual charges for labor and each part were.
Added.

I guess everything has been cleared up, from the rotors and calipers being replaced (Or not I guess) and with the service manager being adamant that there is no low-dust brakes (perhaps negligence).
Old 08-14-12, 09:21 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

I'd be interested to know why they used 04007-35153 and not 04465-xxxxx, it's significantly more expensive. I mean I know that's what the TSIB for the brake squeal calls for, but still. The grease is also a part of the TSIB.

While it was expensive and you could have probably gotten the parts cheaper online (and maybe the rotors didn't need to be replaced -- without measurements we don't know that), I don't think you were scammed.

Interesting to see the TSIB parts were more expensive. It definitely would have been cheaper to go with the low-dust pads, they are not a special service kit-type part.

Jeff
Old 08-14-12, 10:27 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I'd be interested to know why they used 04007-35153 and not 04465-xxxxx, it's significantly more expensive. I mean I know that's what the TSIB for the brake squeal calls for, but still. The grease is also a part of the TSIB.

While it was expensive and you could have probably gotten the parts cheaper online (and maybe the rotors didn't need to be replaced -- without measurements we don't know that), I don't think you were scammed.

Interesting to see the TSIB parts were more expensive. It definitely would have been cheaper to go with the low-dust pads, they are not a special service kit-type part.

Jeff
So not scammed, just overcharged ?

Perhaps the service manager pretended not to know about low-dust brake pads so he could charge for this particular kit!

Haha but that's reaching

Last edited by Snyperifle; 08-14-12 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 04:48 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

I had this same squeaky issue and I had them rebuild the brake calipers, replace the wheelbearings and some other random stuff all covered under my CPO/Extended warranty. The only thing out of pocket was the low dust brake pads and the dealer matched Sewell's price. I'd go back to them if I were you.
Old 08-15-12, 05:37 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is your dad adopting?
Old 08-15-12, 02:33 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by meangene
I had this same squeaky issue and I had them rebuild the brake calipers, replace the wheelbearings and some other random stuff all covered under my CPO/Extended warranty. The only thing out of pocket was the low dust brake pads and the dealer matched Sewell's price. I'd go back to them if I were you.
Nicee but my car is no longer any warranty (besides the powertrain one I think)
Old 08-15-12, 02:46 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i dont see a problem here... you complained about the noise so your dad took it in and had work done to the car..

your dad just fell for the whole "oh you need this this and that" so its your fathers fault. If you dont like the price man up and work on the car yourself. Saves you $ if you dont mind.
Old 08-15-12, 02:55 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vwynn
i dont see a problem here... you complained about the noise so your dad took it in and had work done to the car..

your dad just fell for the whole "oh you need this this and that" so its your fathers fault. If you dont like the price man up and work on the car yourself. Saves you $ if you dont mind.
Yea I mentioned the noise not because it was annoying but because i thought it was time for new pads. Really didn't expect the bill to come out where it was
Old 08-15-12, 04:08 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to hear that...I would go back to the dealer and ask for a refund of the unnecessary service done to your car......

Last edited by kickin8; 08-15-12 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 05:08 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

OP sent his car to the dealer with his agent (daddy-o) and had the problem fixed. We don't know if the rotors needed replacing or not so that is pure speculation. Were the parts and labor high by local standards, I don't know. His dad could have asked what the total cost was going to be beforehand, but he didn't. It is unrealistic to now go back to the dealer and complain you want money taken off of the repair cost because you felt the cost was too high. His dad agreed to have the problem fixed and therefore accepts the dealers cost structure. Time to close the case and move on, but next time the OP should deal with the problem himself and ask the relevant questions.
Old 08-15-12, 05:53 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
OP sent his car to the dealer with his agent (daddy-o) and had the problem fixed. We don't know if the rotors needed replacing or not so that is pure speculation. Were the parts and labor high by local standards, I don't know. His dad could have asked what the total cost was going to be beforehand, but he didn't. It is unrealistic to now go back to the dealer and complain you want money taken off of the repair cost because you felt the cost was too high. His dad agreed to have the problem fixed and therefore accepts the dealers cost structure. Time to close the case and move on, but next time the OP should deal with the problem himself and ask the relevant questions.
I agree that I should have been at the dealership at the time to talk to the service manager but I had prior engagements . I was only bothered by the amount of work done, in which of course I thought there may have been extra work done for the extra $$$. I know this is just speculation, which is why I came to the forum for some better insight. But overall I feel that no matter what, it's hard to get things your way with a dealership

Just things put together (the shock of the invoice as well as the service manager not knowing about the low-dust brakes) kinda led me to believe that the service manager was just putting parts on my car when he may not even know what he's talking about. But everything's been talked about here !