2008 IS 250 AFS problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 01:01 PM
WaqMan22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 IS 250 AFS problem?

Hi

I just bought a 2008 Lexus IS 250 with the sport package. I know for sure it has HID since I have to replace one of the bulbs (D4S). As far as I understood, if it has HID, it would have AFS.

When I go through the menu with the tire pressure indicator, that looks like < o >, there is no option to turn off AFS. I also don't really notice the headlights moving.

Is it possible to have HID bulbs without AFS for the 2008 model? This car has not been modified at all. This is a Canadian car if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Old 08-12-12, 01:16 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

1.Check your car at night time with low beam on and see if the low beam move down and up.
2.The AFS only move right and left above 15 MPH when turn. ( correct me if I'm wrong, maybe 10?)
3.Not sure on your <o> controller don't appear AFS turn on/off option. Check with the dealer?
Old 08-12-12, 01:37 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

If you don't afs on the menu then no factory hid. Simple way to also tell is when you turn the light on the projector automatically move to adjust. If your light don't move upon that no hid.
Old 08-12-12, 01:56 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Either you don't have AFS (which means you don't have factory HID's), or your AFS computer isn't functioning.

If you have D4S bulbs, then you do have the factory HID headlights, they may have been installed by a previous owner, or your AFS ECU is unplugged/the fuse is blown/removed.

Jeff
Old 08-12-12, 02:08 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought 250 didn't come in sport package in 08? Could it be you just got a base model and last owner put after market hid. I would pull the bulb to make sure it say d4s.
Old 08-12-12, 03:31 PM
WaqMan22
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses.

I am fairly sure I have the sport package. It came with the 18 inch split 5 spoke rims. Also has the aluminum sport pedals and features consistent with that package.

I know for sure it has the D4S as I am going to replace them. I will check tonight to see if they make any movements when I turn them on. I just found it weird that I don't have the option to turn it off, since I know that is a quick check.

Where would the ECU and fuse be located for the AFS?
Old 08-12-12, 05:40 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought 250 didn't come in sport package in 08? Could it be you just got a base model and last owner put after market hid. I would pull the bulb to make sure it say d4s.
All years had the sport package 250/350 didn't matter.

From the sounds of it, your car should have factory HID. I'd check to see why AFS is not coming up in your menu.

Jeff
Old 08-12-12, 07:51 PM
WaqMan22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
All years had the sport package 250/350 didn't matter.

From the sounds of it, your car should have factory HID. I'd check to see why AFS is not coming up in your menu.

Jeff
Yeah I am sure I have the factory HID. I can also see the leveling motors under the hood.

I reset the ECU by pulling the correct fuses, which did not seem to solve anything.

I guess I am wondering if anyone else has the factory HID but don't have the menu option. I find that odd and was hoping to solve it before I am forced to send it to the dealer.
Old 08-12-12, 09:00 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

I like to see a video of you toggling threw the menu and light turned on. Also underneath the hood at the light. By the way when you turn your light on did it self leveled?
Old 08-13-12, 08:42 AM
WaqMan22
Driver School Candidate

I like to see a video of you toggling threw the menu and light turned on. Also underneath the hood at the light. By the way when you turn your light on did it self leveled?
It did not auto level. I guess I will take a video when I get out of work today. Would resetting the ecu by unplugging the battery make a difference?
Old 08-13-12, 04:23 PM
WaqMan22
Driver School Candidate

here is a link to a quick video i took. sorry for the bad quality. as you can see, i dont even have the option in the menu. and it looks like i can see the motor for the leveling made by the company "Asmo"

Old 08-13-12, 05:26 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

I cant really tell by the bulb color from this video. But i dont think the AFS can dissapper of the menu if you truly have HID.But this could be a first. Do you hear the ballast humming when your light are on without the engine turned on? Is there a AFS that light up on the left bottom on your dash when you first start up? Cause if there no display there then you really dont have HID. It should light up then go off in a few second.Plus the fact that you said it did not auto level upon turning the light on make me think again no HID. Cause even if you turn off AFS the projector still auto level on start up.

Last edited by laobo979; 08-13-12 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 05:47 PM
Gordy35
Rookie

The lights auto level when you start the car not when you turn them on. You can see them auto level when you start the car with the headlights on or off. They do not auto level by just turning the headlights on.
Old 08-13-12, 05:58 PM
birador
Lead Lap

or might be the previous owner replace the whole headlight assembly with a HID headlight that has AFS???
Old 08-13-12, 07:05 PM
WaqMan22
Driver School Candidate

hmmm there doesn't appear to be an afs light when i first turn on the car. also there is no levelling when i first turn on the car.

i know i have the sport package, so i know it came with factory HID. it doesnt look like it was modified. unfortunately i got this car from an auction so I dont have a full history, but it was sold from toyota financial services. i am pretty sure it was an off-lease car.

the lights do make a humming noise when the car is off.

i do have one light bulb that has been fused (drivers side). could that be affecting anything? I know the ballast is still ok since i switched bulbs to make sure. I will be getting new bulbs this weekend. I guess I will install those and then see.

it almost seems like a computer problem to me, especially if i cant see the light on the display. unfortunately i am not getting any warning signs so it would be tough to diagnose the problem.

Quick Reply: 2008 IS 250 AFS problem?