IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer put all fluids to Max line...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 10:39 AM
mgsvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer put all fluids to Max line...

I got my car to the dealer only for the first 5K and 10K complimentary services. Today I was checking my 19k car before ordering brake and coolant fluid as well as oil change parts for a DIY next week. To my surprise, the brake and coolant fluid are all level to Max line. As for the engine oil it's way OVERFILLED over the Max line. I think the dealer do a full 7 qt instead of the manual's recommended 6.7 qt.

Guys, if my engine oil is overfilled, isn't that bad for the engine? Also, the brake and coolant fluid should be set between the Min and Max line, right? I don't know if set to Max will do any harm.

Thank you.
Old 08-09-12, 05:34 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mgsvr
I got my car to the dealer only for the first 5K and 10K complimentary services. Today I was checking my 19k car before ordering brake and coolant fluid as well as oil change parts for a DIY next week. To my surprise, the brake and coolant fluid are all level to Max line. As for the engine oil it's way OVERFILLED over the Max line. I think the dealer do a full 7 qt instead of the manual's recommended 6.7 qt.

Guys, if my engine oil is overfilled, isn't that bad for the engine? Also, the brake and coolant fluid should be set between the Min and Max line, right? I don't know if set to Max will do any harm.

Thank you.
First, you don't need brake or coolant fluid replaced any time soon. Brakes fluid at 30k miles and coolant at 100k. It's also highly unlikely that if you've gone 9k miles since your last oil change that your oil is "way OVERFILLED" at this point. I'd carefully try checking it again but yes, you can potentially damage the engine, or at least cause more wear, from excess oil. .3 qts isn't going to do much but 2 or 3 quarts would.

No harm from being at "max" levels on any of the fluids though, that's why there's a range. Your brake fluid level will actually go down as your pads wear because more fluid will be in the lines as the pads get shorter.
Old 08-09-12, 05:43 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrax144
First, you don't need brake or coolant fluid replaced any time soon. Brakes fluid at 30k miles and coolant at 100k. It's also highly unlikely that if you've gone 9k miles since your last oil change that your oil is "way OVERFILLED" at this point. I'd carefully try checking it again but yes, you can potentially damage the engine, or at least cause more wear, from excess oil. .3 qts isn't going to do much but 2 or 3 quarts would.

No harm from being at "max" levels on any of the fluids though, that's why there's a range. Your brake fluid level will actually go down as your pads wear because more fluid will be in the lines as the pads get shorter.
x2
Fluids in these cars are in a sealed system. The only reason any fluid level would drop would be because of a leak (which you clearly shouldn't have at this point). Other than the brake fluid level dropping with pad wear, most fluid levels do not drop. As for the oil level, why Lexus decided to use a capacity of 6.6 quarts is beyond me! Oil changes are easy, but making sure you put the .6 in after the six quarts is the most aggravating part for me. I have several "partial" bottles of oil floating around because of this. Uggh....
Old 08-13-12, 08:49 AM
mgsvr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys!

I have another question. I bought my car for almost a year and it's 20k already. Do I need to have a brake fluid flush at the dealer when it's 30k? I expect to get to 30k within the next 2-3 months. The manual and people here at the forum say 2 years or 30k.
Old 08-13-12, 10:02 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mgsvr
Thanks guys!

I have another question. I bought my car for almost a year and it's 20k already. Do I need to have a brake fluid flush at the dealer when it's 30k? I expect to get to 30k within the next 2-3 months. The manual and people here at the forum say 2 years or 30k.
Yes, you should. The 2yr/30k recommendation just means whichever comes first. In the case of brake fluid, its important it is changed when recommended. Moisture builds up inside brake fluid over time and effects brake fluid performance/life. So if you are going to hit 30k soon, get the brake fluid taken care of