IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2 week review of my 07 IS250

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 01:45 AM
La24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 week review of my 07 IS250

This is my review of my 07 IS250 for guys maybe thinking about purchasing this model. The cars I also was looking at were the TL, G35, and Civic Si. They are all nice cars but I decided to go Lexus because I just love the body style of the 2nd generation IS. Decided to go 250 instead of 350 because they only offer manual transmission in 250 models. Yes I'm crazy, I rather drive a slower car with manual than the 350 with automatic. I'm not really a racer more of a ricer, lol.

First off driving impression, car is kind of clunky and noisy in the first 2 gears. Then in 3rd gear it kind of has a whine to it, the rest of the gears are smooth and normal. Going around corners and switching lanes I felt a lot of body sway, kind of feels like driving a Caddy. Car is pretty quiet inside while driving, no rattling to report of. It brakes ok, sometimes it veers to the left a little. I have noticed a lot of brake dust on my wheels. I had a problem with TPMS light staying on, but I eventually figured it out. I was initializing for the 2nd set of tires instead of the main tires, face palm.

Interior, when I was cleaning the inside of my car I noticed the dash was all sticky with some sort of goo and long strains of hair stuck to it. I thought maybe the previous owner spilled some soda on it and never tried to clean it. I tried amour all with just a terry cloth first. The terry cloth just stuck to it and left white particles which made it worse. Then I tried some 50% alcohol to clean it up which worked much better but still felt kind of sticky. The a/c works great but has a dirty jock strap smell to it when I first turn it on for the 1st minute, after that it fades away. The rest of the interior looks great, I like how everything is set up nice and simple. I can't seem to find the change holder though, do rich people not carry change or something.

Exterior, nothing to really complain about in this department. There are some chips here and there but it is a used car. This is the reason I got this car for the looks, it is a sexy looking car. Overall I am happy with the purchase but there are some problems like the dash that I am not happy with. I thought Lexus was supposed to be high end but this crappy plastic dash is not high quality at all. This is the end of my review for guys thinking about getting this vehicle.
Old 08-09-12, 04:27 AM
donnieS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll be hard pressed to find very many cars today without plastic (or plasticy) dashboards. My suggestion for the gunk is to try a 10% Woolite, 90% water solution. It seems to strip old Armor All/whatever other crappy gunk off of these bits and open the surface up for an application of 303.

There is no change holder...use the ashtray.

Pulling to the left is a symptom of your car, specifically. If it continues or gets worse, get the brakes checked.

The smell is likely the cabin air filter. Most people probably don't change that filter often enough. Check the board here or your manual for how to change it.

The brake dust is a byproduct of the types of pads that Lexus puts on the car. Just clean your wheels.

Hope that helps,

ds
Old 08-09-12, 07:10 AM
Gr33nHrn3t
Driver

1. Stay away from armour all products when detailing the interior because it has silicone which breaks down the plastics: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...-armorall.html
2. After cleaning the interior thoroughly use 303 Aerospace Protectant. It leaves a OEM-like shine and highly regarded, especially in this acura tl forum:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-pearl-part-3/
3.Where to buy:
Amazon Amazon

4. The coin holder is an optional accessory:
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2007/2396.html

The exterior? Damn sexy alright
Old 08-09-12, 07:23 AM
nastyemu
Driver

agree with gr33nhrn3t. never use armor-all, use 303 or what i do, meguairs quik interior detailer topped with 303.

the dash piece is covered in a weird material that has been known to "melt" in warm climates. a lot of FL people have issues with it. i bet you have the same issue if your dash feels weird and has things stuck to it. i do my best not to touch the dash because the material is super easy to mark.

get the rear sway bar from sewell, you won't regret it and it'll fend off a lot of the body roll on corners.
Old 08-10-12, 06:40 AM
Gr33nHrn3t
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by nastyemu
agree with gr33nhrn3t. never use armor-all, use 303 or what i do, meguairs quik interior detailer topped with 303.

the dash piece is covered in a weird material that has been known to "melt" in warm climates. a lot of FL people have issues with it. i bet you have the same issue if your dash feels weird and has things stuck to it. i do my best not to touch the dash because the material is super easy to mark.

get the rear sway bar from sewell, you won't regret it and it'll fend off a lot of the body roll on corners.
I just bought the F-Sport rear sway bar, thanks EMU
Old 08-11-12, 04:27 AM
La24
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Thanks for the advice guy, reps for everybody. Yea, I live in Austin so the dash only gets sticky during the day time. I have some auto shade but even some of the shade stuck to the dash and now I have some silver particles stuck to the dash. But yeah I made an order for the 303 and it is on the way. I'm gonna have to wait on the sway bars, going for coilovers first and then some spartucus rims on some 15's.
Old 08-11-12, 06:56 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Any detailer will tell u armour all is garbage. Try 303 aerospace. You can find it on autogeek.net