IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

bought an 08 is250 options not as listed. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 10:49 PM
wickedsol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought an 08 is250 options not as listed. Now what?

I just bought a 2008 is250 from a dealer. The sticker on the window said it had the luxury package and illuminated door sills. Well I test drove the car and didn't noticed it was missing a bunch of the options the stick and website said it had. I missing the memory mirrors seats and steering wheel along with the power shade and illuminated door sills. I do have part of the luxury package like hid lights with auto level and air cooled seats but That's it! I paid for a used car with the luxury package and didn't get it. The car I traded in is already sold so getting that back isn't an option.

Anyone know what my options are? Isn't this false advertising or something? Yeah I know I should of check the car over better but I was looking more at paint and mechanical. Never thought I have to make sure all the options were there.
Old 08-05-12, 07:58 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think most dealers have disclaimers on the website, etc to help cover their butts on issues like this.

If you still have the sticker, etc. you could go back and ask the dealer to maybe give you some free service or something in lieu of it. But you probably also signed a small document saying that the dealer doesn't owe you any options/services.
Old 08-05-12, 08:14 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't understand...did you not look at the car before you bought it or?

.....or if you bought it online at least not look at pictures verifying features?

Last edited by bagwell; 08-05-12 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-05-12, 08:31 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

You should definitely always check to make everything listed in the AD is actually there. I know of a few dealers who use one generic AD, so it isn't always accurate.
Old 08-05-12, 09:40 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Welcome,
Go back to dealer and ask them where is other option should have on your vehicle? If their ads listed it, you should have it. Best bet is go back and talk to them. Wish you luck!
Old 08-05-12, 10:16 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like what you got was the Premium package...not the Luxury package. If the sticker on the window really said Luxury package, you can try and return the car to the dealership if you don't want to keep it. This should have been something that was known ahead of time though, its very important to check things like this before hand! Hopefully they take your car back for you, but don't be surprised if they aren't just ready to let you return the car over this.
Old 08-05-12, 11:16 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

if you already knew that some features were missing when you test drove it, you should have asked the salesperson right away and get that issue resolved
Old 08-05-12, 11:57 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I totally understand your dilemma and you get lost in the excitement of the purchase and ownership. Give the fella a break, guys. You should have checked on these options but that's all in the past now. Like someone mentioned above, it appears you have the Premium Package. Take the car back and talk to the preowned sales manager. Hopeuly you have the sticker and the advertisement. They owe you and misrepresented what they were selling. If it's a Lexus dealership, which I doubt, perhaps they can search and find one with similar stats and ship it in and do a trade. If not, negotiate some services or let them cut you a check.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-12, 12:12 PM
Genecc
Driver School Candidate

Each states laws are different. In Cali once you drive it off the lot after signing the contract you own it. There is no cooling off period.
Old 08-11-12, 04:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Genecc
Each states laws are different. In Cali once you drive it off the lot after signing the contract you own it. There is no cooling off period.
I'm pretty sure CA has laws related to fraud though, which is what the dealer did.

If you don't want it I'd return it. If they push back at all I'd get a lawyer to ask them for you.

If you do want it I'd be asking for a check for the price difference of the luxury package versus the premium package (somewhere around $2,000 I think).
Old 08-13-12, 04:38 PM
wickedsol
Driver School Candidate

Thanks

I Did check the car over but didn't really notice it was missing the memory seats and steering wheel. Really I could care less about those options. When I bought this car I was on a time limit so I had a total of 8 mind to test drive and check the car out.

So I talked to the dealer and argued with 2 managers and at fist they said it wasn't there problem, that there was a disclaimer on the bottom that said there weren't responsible for errors. So I talked to an attorney about the problem he said that they either have to give my old car back or make up the different in price between a car with those options and without. He called the dealer and explained what was going to happen . I got a call from the dealer about an hour later offering to fix the problem and write me a check for the differance. After talking to there legal department and realizing they were wrong. Exchanging the car for a different one with the options wasn't really an option.

It's all working out and for what I paid for it I can't complain. It's the principal of it all. You can't say a car has something, charge you for it and it not be there. I never should of had to jump through all these hoops in the first place. IMO this is one slimy dealership and will never go back. I wonder how many other card they do this with and how many other people they rob

Last edited by wickedsol; 08-13-12 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 04:42 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wickedsol
I Did check the car over but didn't really notice it was missing the memory seats and steering wheel. Really I could care less about those options. When I bought this car I was on a time limit so I had a total of 8 mind to test drive and check the car out.

So I talked to the dealer and argued with 2 managers and at fist they said it wasn't there problem, that there was a disclaimer on the bottom that said there weren't responsible for errors. So I talked to an attorney about the problem he said that they either have to give my old car back or make up the different in price between a car with those options and without. He called the dealer and explained what was going to happen . I got a call from the dealer about an hour later offering to fix the problem. After talking to there legal department and realizing they were wrong.

It's all working out and for what I paid for it I can't complain. It's the principal of it all. You can't say a car has something, charge you for it and it not be there. I never should of had to jump through all these hoops in the first place. IMO this is one slimy dealership and will never go back. I wonder how many other card they do this with and how many other people they rob
Congrats!!!
Old 08-13-12, 05:43 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

congrats to you!!!!
Old 08-13-12, 05:48 PM
birador
Lead Lap

you deserve this