IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Doesn't look as bad as I thought.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 01:16 PM
diablo1714
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess you have to bring enough tape with you for the trip back ? !!
Unless you leave it on for the whole week..
Old 08-03-12, 01:17 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1714
I guess you have to bring enough tape with you for the trip back ? !!
Unless you leave it on for the whole week..
Car will be parked, so i guess i will see how it holds up. I will bring extra tape with me just in case though.
Old 08-03-12, 02:56 PM
o7iS250
Pole Position

awesome taping job, definitely worth it.. just a pita when it comes time to take it all off!
Old 08-03-12, 03:53 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Looks good! Man, you did a professional job on that! Are you going to finish up the front lip? If you don't, it's going to take a beating.
Old 08-06-12, 07:12 AM
Seagull

FAIL, If you have to cover your car in tape in order to go drive it, you're failing and should be driving something else other than a LEXUS. Sheesh...
Old 08-06-12, 09:27 AM
1herm4
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Just rent a car for the trip! Sorry i dont get it. Wasted time and money. Trust me, if a piece of tire from a truck comes flying off, blue tape is not going to help you. Just made a trip to Las Vegas and rented a car for the weekend, $130 not even worth the trouble of taping.
Old 08-06-12, 09:32 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good. I wonder if the way you did it with vertical lines is better than the horizontal lines.
What does taping have anything to do with owning a Lexus? Of course a tire will mess up ANY car. This is to protect from bugs and rock chips. People talk so much crap. Maybe you want to drive your own car and Not rent one. $130 is pretty cheap though. But you're going for a week and don't know how many miles you're traveling. You do what you want to do! It's your car!
Old 08-06-12, 09:48 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Looks good. I wonder if the way you did it with vertical lines is better than the horizontal lines.
What does taping have anything to do with owning a Lexus? Of course a tire will mess up ANY car. This is to protect from bugs and rock chips. People talk so much crap. Maybe you want to drive your own car and Not rent one. $130 is pretty cheap though. But you're going for a week and don't know how many miles you're traveling. You do what you want to do! It's your car!

haha amazing how this thread ended up with trash talking from NOOBS Mariano. Notice the only ones that have taped up their cars and think this is a good idea is members that have been on this forum for a while and has more than 6-102 posts. Stop being negative and contribute to the threads fellas. SMH... Spending less than $15 on tape sounds alot better than spending $130+ on a rental. Not everyone has cash to throw around or maybe some ppl want to take their cars on road trips. Car enthusiasts have been blue taping their cars for years now, whether its for a road trip, or at the track. I've blue taped on all of my cars plenty of times for different occasions and it saved me from bugs and rock chips so I dont see whats so fail about it. And of course it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that blue tape isn't gonna save your car from a tire falling off a truck Driving safe and keeping your distance will.

OP thats some serious taping skills there bro. My job wasnt so clean but I was also in a hurry. Good stuff it should hold up pretty well and save your front end for sure. Have a safe trip

Last edited by RDIS250AWD; 08-06-12 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-06-12, 09:53 AM
1herm4
Intermediate

My post was not been to bash or trash, just my opinion. Sorry if i offened anyone. Besides, what does "noob" have anything to do with my opinion?
Old 08-06-12, 10:21 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
haha amazing how this thread ended up with trash talking from NOOBS Mariano. Notice the only ones that have taped up their cars and think this is a good idea is members that have been on this forum for a while and has more than 6-102 posts. Stop being negative and contribute to the threads fellas. SMH... Spending less than $15 on tape sounds alot better than spending $130+ on a rental. Not everyone has cash to throw around or maybe some ppl want to take their cars on road trips. Car enthusiasts have been blue taping their cars for years now, whether its for a road trip, or at the track. I've blue taped on all of my cars plenty of times for different occasions and it saved me from bugs and rock chips so I dont see whats so fail about it. And of course it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that blue tape isn't gonna save your car from a tire falling off a truck Driving safe and keeping your distance will.

OP thats some serious taping skills there bro. My job wasnt so clean but I was also in a hurry. Good stuff it should hold up pretty well and save your front end for sure. Have a safe trip
This^^ The same guy was talking crap to me. I think hes just a hater
Old 08-06-12, 10:42 AM
1herm4
Intermediate

Rdis considers himself a club lexus OG, he joined sep. 2011 sorry i dont have as many post as you do. I do spend some time here but its not the only thing in life I enjoy!

To the OP, sorry if my post came out like a diss. I just completed a 1200 mile trip to South Tahoe and Mammoth from southern cali myself and renting was not an option for that trip since i was towing a 5th wheel. The blue tape thing has been out since the Honda/toyota days, common when driving between car shows on the weekends. But when i plan a trip, i consider wear and tear too. My car is not slammed but it is lowered. Packing luggage and two people in the back would make for a ****ty drive and the cost of replacing rear tires (due to negative camber) and taking a chance on the road with a blow out is nit worth it to me. Lots of nice cars on this forum slammed with mass negative camber, love the look but i just cant see making a 1200 mile road trip. I cant tell if your car is slammed so your ride might not be bad. Im sure you will put more than 1200 freeway miles on your car during ownership, will you leave the blue tape on for those other miles.....
Old 08-06-12, 11:02 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1herm4
Rdis considers himself a club lexus OG, he joined sep. 2011 sorry i dont have as many post as you do. I do spend some time here but its not the only thing in life I enjoy!

To the OP, sorry if my post came out like a diss. I just completed a 1200 mile trip to South Tahoe and Mammoth from southern cali myself and renting was not an option for that trip since i was towing a 5th wheel. The blue tape thing has been out since the Honda/toyota days, common when driving between car shows on the weekends. But when i plan a trip, i consider wear and tear too. My car is not slammed but it is lowered. Packing luggage and two people in the back would make for a ****ty drive and the cost of replacing rear tires (due to negative camber) and taking a chance on the road with a blow out is nit worth it to me. Lots of nice cars on this forum slammed with mass negative camber, love the look but i just cant see making a 1200 mile road trip. I cant tell if your car is slammed so your ride might not be bad. Im sure you will put more than 1200 freeway miles on your car during ownership, will you leave the blue tape on for those other miles.....

sorry to burst ur bubble but I don't consider myself an og I consider myself someone who's contributed to this forum by creating informative threads and leaving positive posts helping others. Called you guys out on being noobs obviously bc you didnt know the benefits of blue painters tape and that its been used for the purpose of protecting ones car from rock chips and other minor hazards of the roads that could cause some serious eye sores. You might have mommy or daddy paying for your rental if you don't wanna take your IS on the road somewhere but some of us actually work hard for our cars and work even harder to keep it in prestine condition so no need to hate on methods that can save us on unnecessary expenses and no need to act all b*tt hurt just bc i brought up the fact that you're fairly new to this forum and you're leaving negative posts. Btw slammed or not going on long road trips your front end is gonna be eating some bugs and rocks.
Old 08-06-12, 11:10 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bob4256
This^^ The same guy was talking crap to me. I think hes just a hater
Old 08-06-12, 11:43 AM
1herm4
Intermediate

WOW...with 2,300 do you even have time to work? I pay for my own stuff, i wish mom or or dad would pay for my toys. Let me get back to work, i only have 105 post! Thanks for informing me/us on what blue tape is used for here. I though it was just for painting

just close this uselesss thread.....
Old 08-06-12, 11:44 AM
diablo1714
Driver

Maybe he's under 25 and can't even get a rental ?

Quick Reply: Doesn't look as bad as I thought.