IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tinted your front windshield? Couple questions....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 04:28 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tinted your front windshield? Couple questions....

First off, I did search and saw mention of this a few times, but didn't find my answer. I posted a few questions, but no response. If moderators see fit to move or merge this, no biggie. So.....here goes

My '06 IS350 is TP with black interior. I had it tinted last year and went with 35% (legal in NC). Since then, I have decided that I want it to look darker. If I had it to do over, I would have done the back glass and rear windows 20% but too late for that now. With that said, I am about to have the front windshield tinted, in order to reduce the amount of light coming in and thereby give the windows the appearance of a 20% tint.

What % would someone with experience in this area recommend? I have been told 50%, and told 70%. I will look at samples when I get to the tint shop (scheduled in two weeks), but want to have an idea and some knowledge of first hand experience. Here are a couple of pics of the car and you can see just how easily it is to see through the windows and see the objects on the other side of the car. Also of note, these pics were taken in the afternoon and the car is in the shade. It is worse than this when sitting in the sun.

Thanks guys!

Name:  DSC01371.jpg
Views: 9733
Size:  200.9 KB

Name:  DSC01370.jpg
Views: 10190
Size:  141.3 KB
Old 07-28-12, 06:44 PM
ohiostate
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ran into the same problem when I had my IS tinted 15% all around and they left the stock 35% on the back glass, so I had them tint the back window with limo and add a 5% eye brow. I would advice you to do the same before you tint the front windshield

I love it now.
Old 07-28-12, 11:27 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You may want to go 70% or higher. Tinting your front windshield when it's not legal would make your car high profile for the police to pull you over.

For me, I have Llumar Air Blue 80 (78%), which essentially would provide you with reducing the glare without affecting the overall light since the difference of about 20% is virtually indistinguishable to the eye without a side by side comparison. When people look at the car, they don't even know that there is even a front window tint on there.
Old 07-29-12, 05:56 AM
MJ711
Driver School Candidate

Tinting the windshield dark enough to make a difference in how the car looks from the side would make it too hard to see at night IMO. If the police in your area are really strict on this kind of thing I'd just leave it the way it is. On my last few cars I have done 2 layers on the back doors / rear window, one layer of limo and a layer of 15-20% over that, and just one layer of limo on the front doors. I usually don't get bothered, but I have a prescription for tints anyways that says I can go as dark as I want so there's no ticket involved if they do pull me over. Even with that though, I never tint the windshield.. just makes it too hard to see.
Old 07-29-12, 06:05 AM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Mine is 15% on the sides and rear and 50% on the front windshield. loved it. I have to re-tint my front windshield because I have since had 2 OEM Lexus windshield replacements.

Also never once a peep from a Florida cop, even when pulled over. Probably cause there is REAL crime here. haha

Cloudy Florida day...

Sunny day...
Old 07-29-12, 06:18 AM
MJ711
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s6 4rings
Mine is 15% on the sides and rear and 50% on the front windshield. loved it. I have to re-tint my front windshield because I have since had 2 OEM Lexus windshield replacements.

Also never once a peep from a Florida cop, even when pulled over. Probably cause there is REAL crime here. haha

Cloudy Florida day...

Sunny day...
with 15% on the sides, it doesn't make it miserable trying to see at night with 50% on the windshield too? I already can't see ANYTHING out my side windows once the sun starts going down, how the heck do you see at night lol
Old 07-29-12, 06:36 AM
ohiostate
Driver

Originally Posted by MJ711
with 15% on the sides, it doesn't make it miserable trying to see at night with 50% on the windshield too? I already can't see ANYTHING out my side windows once the sun starts going down, how the heck do you see at night lol
That's what the review camera is for..
Old 07-29-12, 06:55 AM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm.... Much darker tint is legal in Florida, but that doesn't look as dark as I would have thought, being 15% all around with 50% on the windshield. Car looks great, by the way. I may just go with the 50% too. I'm thinking this will be about right in regards to giving me the appearance of 20% all around.
Old 07-29-12, 07:02 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I know three people pulled over by cops in two different states that got tickets for this...

One cop when checking to see if the front window was tinted took a metal object and put a huge scratch in the tint right down the middle of the front glass while he was "checking" to see if it was tinted...

I'm not sure I see the need for tint that dark, but just be ready to pay the penalty if/when you get pulled over...
Old 07-29-12, 07:05 AM
linus73
Lead Lap

i will also say 50% and be carefull the front windshield is easily breakable with a heat gun.
Old 07-29-12, 07:08 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

i don't have an IS... but I do have a 70% front windshield tint in another car..

70% help a lot to cut heat/glare.. but it doesn't have the "coolness" factor of a darker window.. no one know it's tinted unless I tell them..

if you want the tint look.. i would go with 50%.. but you MIGHT get pulled over.. good luck..
Old 07-29-12, 08:02 AM
raw10one
Driver School Candidate

If you're looking for just heat reduction then

"http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Automotive/Crystalline_Automotive_Films/"

would most likely be your best solution.
Old 07-29-12, 03:13 PM
Lilblue
Driver School Candidate

I would just get clear tint on the windshield . That what I did to my Lexus.
Old 07-29-12, 06:05 PM
azndriver
Driver

I have the Llumar AIRBlue 80 ceramic window film

it is a blue tint...but really you cant see it, and pretty much invisible...only on certain angles you will see that blue tint..

otherwise its pretty much like its not there
Old 07-29-12, 07:41 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

definitely agree with 50%

Quick Reply: Tinted your front windshield? Couple questions....