IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Moving from NY to FL

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-12, 07:18 PM
swlabr82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from NY to FL

I am currently planning on moving in a month from New York to Florida (total just shy 1300 miles). I have an 07' IS 250 AWD which has about 63K miles on it. At around 22K miles, I put on a Fujita short ram intake, the F-Sport exhaust system and F-Sport sway bars.
That being said, I have been advised of many things for this road trip from taping up the front to avoid bug damage to putting in fuel additives. The car runs like the first day I got it and I have been on enough road trips where I haven't had much problems (just not any this long). I also get it serviced every 5K miles since I got the car. Only things I ever had to replace were brakes and tires (and two rims due to nasty pot holes).
I figured I would go to the source and ask fellow IS owners your opinion on what, if anything, should I do to prepare my car for this trip? I love my car and want to make sure it has no problems along the way or even after the trip. Thank you all in advance.
Old 07-26-12, 08:15 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I can say 63k did you get the spark plug done? It recommended at 60k service. Other than that you should be good to go.
Old 07-26-12, 08:25 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Sell it. You don't need an AWD car in FL. Besides, you could probably get more money for it in NY and turn around and buy a 350 in FL for the same price.

Otherwise, just check to make sure all your fluids are topped off and you have good tread left on your tires.
Old 07-26-12, 08:33 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Sell it. You don't need an AWD car in FL. Besides, you could probably get more money for it in NY and turn around and buy a 350 in FL for the same price.

Otherwise, just check to make sure all your fluids are topped off and you have good tread left on your tires.
yep you don't need awd in FL sell it for a is f
Old 07-26-12, 08:43 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Where in Fl you coming too. Safe trod btw.
Old 07-27-12, 12:01 AM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, I'll be in moving from Texas to Miami in a month.
Old 07-27-12, 12:09 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Considering I have driven 1200 miles from Texas to SoCal, I'll give you some advice.

Make sure all your fluids are good. Tires are filled up. Everything is mechanically in working order. AAA is pretty great too for just on case.

Your car will get 400 miles per gas tank or more. Depends on how fast your going. That was my is350s avg going 80mph. My boyfriend's IS250 got more like 450 on the drive there.

Don't do this trip in all one go if you can. Goodness it's a long drive and it's exhausting. Works I suppose if you have people in the car with you though.

Tape up the entire front end. You'll thank yourself later when you see how nasty the tape will be.

Also, don't worry. My car had 80k+ miles on it when I drove to California and it handled like a champ!

If you're modded, get used to cops probably eyeing you (especially with the blue tape).

Good luck on your trip. Map out a city every 300-350 miles to fill up!
Old 07-27-12, 04:22 AM
2jzism
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude if you can stay in NY, don't come down here to live! All my friends, family, and wife who are originally from the Tri State area hate it here in SFL. They always say that SFL can't compare, honestly I wouldn't know I was born and raised here in Miami.

I'm sure that you'll like it here especially for the roads how nice and paved compared to the NE.
Old 07-27-12, 05:00 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I would do the usual, check all the fluids, do the 60k service items if you haven't already, check tire condition + pressure of the tires, other than that get some good music on the Ipod and enjoy the trip. I"m assuming you will do I95 most of the way? Make sure you map out a fill station every 350 or so miles to stop for fuel just to be safe. There are some stretches where its kind of desolate.
Old 07-27-12, 05:45 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Rain-X your windshield and get fresh wiper inserts.
Old 07-27-12, 07:20 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As 2 previous members say u dont need an AWD in FL.....
Old 07-27-12, 07:24 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe invest in a radar detector. Drive safe.
Old 07-27-12, 07:45 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

1st: What part of Florida are you moving to, there are many of us fellow Floridians on CL who will give you a warm welcome to the south.
2nd: Surely Tape up, Not too many people in the US know what we know about the LOVE BUGS you will hit this summer and let me tell you -You will absolutely HATE your self if you run into them and your not taped up.
3rd: Obviously plan on where to stop for Gas, easy and smart choice to make the trip smoother.
4th Last: Wouldnt be a bad idea to take it the mechanic for a road check up 1 week before then the night before and enjoy the GunShineState! I mean SunShineState. lol Safe travels!
Old 07-27-12, 01:28 PM
swlabr82
Driver School Candidate

First off, thank you all so far for the replies.
I know I don't need the AWD down south but A) It got fully paid off just last year and B) I'm not going to be able to afford to trade it in or sell it and get another IS without having more monthly payments (I now have a note to pay on a motorcycle I got last year).

As for the car being up to date on its maintenance, I treat her like gold and make sure most things recommended by the service techs have been done. I checked over the 60K service paperwork and the spark plugs were not cleaned or changed. I haven't noticed anything like a drop in fuel consumption or anything so I am hoping I'm good in that respect. I was thinking on taking it in before I leave anyway just for them to double check everything anyway.

I am planning on relocating to Fort Myers in FL on the west coast. It's about a two hour drive south of Tampa. My parents moved to Sanibel Island a couple of years ago and each time I visit them, I fall in love with the area. I've been living in Queens the past 8 years and honestly, other than the pizza and bagels, I don't think I will be missing much compared to FL. I've been through 4 tires and 3 rims due to pot holes alone and don't get me started on traffic. I guess it's the concept of the grass always being greener elsewhere.

I am planning on taking I-95 just about all the way down. Since I'm unfortunately going it alone, I plan on taking two to three days to get there. I have planned out gas stops and hotels along the way with backup and contingency plans just in case. Google Earth and the internet make this aspect of moving soo easy.
I'm still not sure with the painters tape on the front of the car. The 300 mile road trips I've been on had accumulated a crap load of bugs, but all were cleaned off with one trip to a car wash. Is it really worth all that work and trouble? I know the love bugs supposedly eat at the paint but as long as I get the car washed when I get down there, I should be ok?
Old 07-27-12, 02:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Nothing special, just check all fluids. Check the air pressure in the spare tire.

I wouldn't worry about it, 60k miles is nothing for a Lexus! I take 2000 mile road trips in my RX every month, and it has 185k miles on it, and I have absolutely no issues. I've driven my RX cross country twice as well, absolutely no issues.

I suggest using the painters tape, trust me it's worth it. I wish I would have done it, the bugs are a pain. But, so are rocks.

Quick Reply: Moving from NY to FL