IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nail in the tire, repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-12, 04:21 PM
Namster
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had same nail at that same location before and America's Tires won't risk patching it due to safety reason. I had to get another tire. If you're on a budget, you can shop for a used RE92 tire instead.
Old 07-26-12, 04:32 PM
Antihero
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. just go to local autoshop/gas station and get it patched. $20 bucks
Old 07-26-12, 04:33 PM
freeflight
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evogt500
Repair it yourself if the stores wont. Repair kits start as low as US$10. And they work.

On a side not, I also had RE92s and one side blew out at less them 5000 miles. It was unrepairable. Tire shop said I had to replace both sides since the thread would be uneven. Just a heads up if you plan on replacing the tire.
The patch procedure is not complicate, the problem is to take the tire off the rim and put it back on.
Old 07-26-12, 05:02 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Plug it for $8 kit from walmart. Really simple and easy to do. I had a nail on my sidewall and im running stretch for the past month hahahaha...Still held up with out a problem. But finaly my tire came in today after back order. So your spot aint nothing compare to mine.
Old 07-26-12, 05:13 PM
Duke02
Driver

The kits you get in the stores are just plug kits. You need to plug and patch to safely repair the tire and you're not supposed to do it on the shoulder.

Yes a new tire is expensive, but it is a safety issue. Life sucks but it's not worth risking for $300

Last edited by Duke02; 07-26-12 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-26-12, 05:14 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Repair it!!!!
Old 07-26-12, 05:23 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patch kits DO NOT require you to take the tire off the rim. And they are safe to use. Some shops even use the patch kit. If you follow the instructions, it will be safe. And yes, do not use on the sidewall. The image shown by the OP, is not the sidewall.
Old 07-26-12, 05:32 PM
Duke02
Driver

sorry, meant shoulder not sidewall. I revised my post
Old 07-26-12, 05:40 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I went a place that sells wheels and tires. Like 20"-26" wheels.
Old 07-26-12, 06:25 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like many have said, that's easily repairable using a $10 repair kit from your local parts store. You don't even have to take the wheel off.

If you buy a kit like this one (http://www.jpcycles.com/product/246-...QFx4AodvygAAQ#), make sure you use A LOT of rubber cement. It'll make the repair strip easier to get into the tire and prevent any leaks. Also, test the repair by putting some soapy water onto the patch. If the water starts to bubble, you need to do it over.
Old 07-26-12, 07:28 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You are foolish if you use a plug kit from Walmart, these are temporary to get you to a repair shop. They are not permanent in any sense. The only safe way to patch a hole is by dismounting it from the rim and patching it from the inside. The OPs nail puncture is too close to the shoulder for safe patching per the guidelines. It's your safety, why play with it?
Old 07-26-12, 07:39 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What difference does it make whether it's from Walmart or a tire shop? Most are manufactured in the same facility.

Tire shops often use these, same with mechanics. I've had patches on all my vehicles without any problems, even while towing heavy loads. The nail is not on the sidewall, so it should be fine. I will only agree with your statement if you're driving your car under extreme conditions, such as on a track. Otherwise, under normal driving, it is safe. If you live in a state that requires yearly safety inspections, inspectors will pass you without giving it a thought unless you have multiple plugs in a singe tire.
Old 07-26-12, 09:03 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
What difference does it make whether it's from Walmart or a tire shop? Most are manufactured in the same facility.

Tire shops often use these, same with mechanics. I've had patches on all my vehicles without any problems, even while towing heavy loads. The nail is not on the sidewall, so it should be fine. I will only agree with your statement if you're driving your car under extreme conditions, such as on a track. Otherwise, under normal driving, it is safe. If you live in a state that requires yearly safety inspections, inspectors will pass you without giving it a thought unless you have multiple plugs in a singe tire.
It's not whether it's from Walmart or from a tire shop, that is an unsafe repair for a puncture except in an emergency to get you to a proper repair shop. I would not think much of a tire shop that flogged that type of repair in that position on a tire as a good solution. It's your car, your family, your life, if you are happy with that type of temporary plug go ahead.
Old 07-26-12, 09:23 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I used walmart plug on my last set of tire before this one. Put 20k on them and guess what it never leaked once. Those tire shop that wont wanna plug your tire cause they want you to spend $200 on tires then $10. There no profit in it for them. My recent tired I went over a month no leak even with stretch tires.
Old 07-26-12, 11:43 PM
freeflight
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evogt500
Patch kits DO NOT require you to take the tire off the rim. And they are safe to use. Some shops even use the patch kit. If you follow the instructions, it will be safe. And yes, do not use on the sidewall. The image shown by the OP, is not the sidewall.
My bad. I was thinking about DIY plug and patch.

Quick Reply: Nail in the tire, repair or replace?