want to install memory seat option- help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 05:44 PM
Tuske427
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default want to install memory seat option- help needed

Hi:

My wife just picked up an '09 IS 350 and while it's an awesome car, one option we'd like to have on it is memory seats.

I'd like add this feature to the car. However, I'm not exactly sure what all is involved. Ideally, I'm wishing it'd be little more than locating the switch itself, a door panel section (or wherever the switches are located) from someone parting out a car/ junkyard, etc. and plug them into the factory harness. I'm "hoping" the harness is already pre-wired for this (many newer cars seem to be like this).

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or a service manual? or could direct me to where I could get a service manual. I doubt the local haynes/ chiltons would have this. I'm thinking I need a factory service manual.

Since I'm new to this car, I thought I'd start here. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!
Old 07-22-12, 05:57 PM
inno
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question! I was surprised to see I had bought a 2010 IS350 with Nav and it had no seat memory.
Old 07-22-12, 07:29 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

I believe that you only get the memory seat function on the Luxury package, and certain older Sport packages.
Old 07-22-12, 07:34 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Sure would be nice if it was easy to add
Old 07-22-12, 08:41 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Anything is possible but the memory seat remembers the steering wheel position, all seat positions as well as the outside mirror settings. Adding this after the fact would not be easy, imo. And the option has the ability to store up to 3 positions for the driver and passenger seat. I don't think it is feasible.
Old 07-23-12, 10:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Memory seats came with the luxury package or the sport package.

I'd be surprised if it's not cheaper to trade your car in for one with that package that adding it later.

As noted all the package adds memory/move functions for not just the seats but the mirrors and steering wheel... and it uses a different body ECU to control all that too... so you'd need to swap quite a lot of not-cheap parts.

The body ECU alone is over $1000.

Heck each door switch for memory seats is $120.

Last edited by Kurtz; 07-23-12 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-25-12, 07:33 PM
Tuske427
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for the replies. The steering wheel on my wife's IS 350 is not a power wheel. It has a manual adjustment underneath it (only lifts/ lowers it) It came with navigation, 8" wheels and has a spoiler (also has the adjustable headlights) but I'm not sure if it's a "sport package" or not.

I was "hoping" I could plug in the switches to the wiring harness in the door. Guess I'm hoping for too much, ha ha
Old 07-26-12, 05:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuske427
Thank you everyone for the replies. The steering wheel on my wife's IS 350 is not a power wheel. It has a manual adjustment underneath it (only lifts/ lowers it) It came with navigation, 8" wheels and has a spoiler (also has the adjustable headlights) but I'm not sure if it's a "sport package" or not.

I was "hoping" I could plug in the switches to the wiring harness in the door. Guess I'm hoping for too much, ha ha
I'm pretty sure the Sports Pkg has memory seats...
Old 07-26-12, 05:37 AM
rhodesk22
Rookie

Kind off topic, but even with the manual steering wheel adjustment you can still move the wheel in and out when you open the lever on the bottom. Give it a shot.
Old 07-26-12, 07:13 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I'm just amazed that this option doesn't come standard on every trim model for all Lexus cars. I had it on my ES and my GS.
Old 07-26-12, 08:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah sport package has memory seats. Memory seats only come with sport or lux. That's part of why there's a different body ECU for such cars.

Your wifes car is a base model with the following standalone options: HIDs, navigation, 18" wheels, spoiler.

(could also have the premium package if it has woodgrain and heated/vented seats).
Old 07-30-12, 08:49 PM
Tuske427
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Yeah sport package has memory seats. Memory seats only come with sport or lux. That's part of why there's a different body ECU for such cars.

Your wifes car is a base model with the following standalone options: HIDs, navigation, 18" wheels, spoiler.

(could also have the premium package if it has woodgrain and heated/vented seats).
Yeah, it looks like this is not a "sports" packaged car, but it does have the heated/ cooled seats. The panels appear to be some dark mahogany, but not too brown. more of a grey-ish color to them.

What else comes with a premium package?
Old 07-30-12, 08:53 PM
Tuske427
Driver School Candidate

I'll admit I'm not a Lexus expert, but I'm really surprised at how adding this feature is so quickly dismissed. That, or I'm just too stubborn to take no for an answer without truly understanding why. and even then, it's only an electrical feature. I'll have to do some more research on this, and perhaps find a parts car and pirate the goods.
Old 07-30-12, 09:01 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll admit I'm not a Lexus expert, but I'm really surprised at how adding this feature is so quickly dismissed. That, or I'm just too stubborn to take no for an answer without truly understanding why. and even then, it's only an electrical feature. I'll have to do some more research on this, and perhaps find a parts car and pirate the goods.
Well, let us know how your project goes. Anything can be done, but this would not be easy or cheap, nor worth it imo.
Old 07-30-12, 09:26 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

If you found a parts car that would be the way to go.

Quickly dismissing the ability to add this feature is mostly due to the cost of the components involved in the Memory System. Even with discounted online pricing, it would be very expensive, I'll outline some of the costs below, at Lexus USA MSRP.

The steering column is different, as is the cover and switch, there is also a control ECU.

Steering column is $1795.
Column cover is $84.
Turn signal switch/memory switch is $169.
Steering tilt control ECU is $1022.

The mirrors are different and there are mirror control ECU's in each door.

Mirrors are $600 each.
Mirror ECU's are $300 each.

The seat switches are different, and the ones with memory seats have control ECU's built into them.

Seat switches are $555 each.

The door panels are different as they have a spot for the switch to fit in. They do come with the switches though.

Door panels are $1153 each.

The above listed parts come to $8286, and that is NOT an exhaustive parts list for what is different, add to that either buying the relevant interior wiring harnesses or (and it would NOT be easy, trust me) wiring it up yourself, and you can add to that list very quickly.

Jeff

Quick Reply: want to install memory seat option- help needed