IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover

Old 07-27-12, 04:26 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I never buy cpo.... I am with usaa and I just buy mechanical break down insurance on all my cars. It covers the cars motor and transmission and electronics totally. Only thing it doesn't cover is stuff like brake pads. And fault doesn't matter with the insurance company it gets fixed regardless. And it's 10x cheaper then most cpo, I pay 12.50 every 6 months on the isx50 and 37.20 every 6 months on a gallardo. Best money you can spend. I had to use the coverage once on another vehicle I owned... Got all my repairs done and all I had to pay was 100 buck deductible. I hope you get some justice with your situation bro. I would get a lawyer if it was me . Warranties should be honored especially at the cost you have to pay for them.
Old 07-27-12, 05:16 AM
mike171333
Rookie

Default all of with CPO are watching this closely...

This clearly does not sound right. Why have CPO coverage? Most of us bought for peace of mind. Lexus [and other manufacturer's] do this to maintain a healthy secondary market on these expensive cars. Keeps the price up, creates a market, and makes 2nd owners interested. If the warranty is no good they destroy this sales channel.....we don't trade in or buy used from the dealer...we'd buy from owners and find other coverage.
...and a high percentage of us bought a Lexus because of its reliability and quality image. I had 5 audis in a row, loved em, and had no problems....but because I live rural I thought I'd 'protect' myself a bit more and go for a reputation of even more reliability with Lexus

This one sounds so obvious [based on the facts we are being told] that it should clearly be covered.
If continually denied, I try the state AG.

[p.s.. any engine mods on this car?]

Good luck ...and we will all be following this thread...
Old 07-27-12, 07:26 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stasis3131
This is why I never buy cpo.... I am with usaa and I just buy mechanical break down insurance on all my cars. It covers the cars motor and transmission and electronics totally. Only thing it doesn't cover is stuff like brake pads. And fault doesn't matter with the insurance company it gets fixed regardless. And it's 10x cheaper then most cpo, I pay 12.50 every 6 months on the isx50 and 37.20 every 6 months on a gallardo. Best money you can spend. I had to use the coverage once on another vehicle I owned... Got all my repairs done and all I had to pay was 100 buck deductible. I hope you get some justice with your situation bro. I would get a lawyer if it was me . Warranties should be honored especially at the cost you have to pay for them.
wow u got a gallardo?! Post some pics.

OP how's the situation going? I'm really interested in seeing how this is gonna play out. Hopefully Lexus comes through for you
Old 07-27-12, 10:28 AM
will_is250
Driver School Candidate

Seriously what is with everyone here? You can NOT total a car on insurance just because of maintenance or mechanical failure, what are you smoking where you think that's even a remote possibility. Why should an insurance have to pay to replace a car that was not properly maintained, insurance companies provide coverage for collision and comprehensive coverage ONLY. It blows my mind that more than one person thinks this is possible, and I'm not referring to mechanical breakdown coverage(which is actually valuable) but the other posters who say "just total the car out".

Anyway, I agree with Jeff, we definitely are not getting the whole story. The dealership wants your business, they get paid either way whether it's from you or Lexus. There is not reason for them to turn down a warranty coverage. Either the OP is withholding some additional info for the sake of getting everyone on their side, or they really have no idea what is going on with their car.

Last edited by will_is250; 07-27-12 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-27-12, 10:41 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by will_is250
Seriously what is with everyone here? You can NOT total a car on insurance just because of maintenance or mechanical failure, what are you smoking where you think that's even a remote possibility. Why should an insurance have to pay to replace a car that was not properly maintained, insurance companies provide coverage for collision and comprehensive coverage ONLY. It blows my mind that more than one person thinks this is possible, and I'm not referring to mechanical breakdown coverage(which is actually valuable) but the other posters who say "just total the car out".

Anyway, I agree with Jeff, we definitely are not getting the whole story. The dealership wants your business, they get paid either way whether it's from you or Lexus. There is not reason for them to turn down a warranty coverage. Either the OP is withholding some additional info for the sake of getting everyone on their side, or they really have no idea what is going on with their car.
You are right, try to call and make a claim and have a laugh.
But I don't know, it's hard to know some kind of common knowledge until you need to right? It's not taught in school. I had a car buyer call me and ask me how does a car loan work, and what kind of interest rate does he qualify for.
Old 07-27-12, 11:38 AM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

To the "we're not getting the whole story" crowd. No offense taken. I created this post to get feedback and ideas and if anything you've helped with finding out what questions I should be asking. Aside from changing filters and plugs, I have not touched my engine. I'm not hiding anything, I'm just as lost if not more than you are with this whole situation.

I haven't contacted Extra Care yet to see what their rationale is for not covering. I want to hear from the dealer what the exact breakdown was and how it resulted in the additional damage. The dealer is 130 miles away (car broke down on the way back from a road trip) and since yesterday afternoon I've left 3 messages with the SA.

I appreciate all the feedback.
Old 07-27-12, 12:08 PM
Lexura
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the dealer hasn't told you how the failure occurred, just what part failed. Not sure why some of you are getting on him about "The OP is not telling us the whole story." He doesn't have the whole story yet himself. Lexus HQ is probably denying because they don't have the whole story from the dealer. Not sure why the dealer is slacking if they are get $$$$ in warranty work. Hope you get some more traction on this.
Old 07-27-12, 12:11 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

I can't believe lexus is blowing you off, the car is under warrenty soon what the hell is wrong with them. There are loosing there great rep. With stupid ***** like this. Well good luck.
Old 07-27-12, 12:51 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kikkomanrj
To the "we're not getting the whole story" crowd. No offense taken. I created this post to get feedback and ideas and if anything you've helped with finding out what questions I should be asking. Aside from changing filters and plugs, I have not touched my engine. I'm not hiding anything, I'm just as lost if not more than you are with this whole situation.

I haven't contacted Extra Care yet to see what their rationale is for not covering. I want to hear from the dealer what the exact breakdown was and how it resulted in the additional damage. The dealer is 130 miles away (car broke down on the way back from a road trip) and since yesterday afternoon I've left 3 messages with the SA.

I appreciate all the feedback.
There is distinct possibility that the failure was actually the accessory belt, that in turn caused the car to overheat to the point of engine damage. If that is the case, then, obviously, Lexus won't cover. Belt is wear and tear, and the owner/driver should have paid attention to the overheating on the highway, and even the CEL light that came on the dash as the temperature got hotter.
Old 07-27-12, 12:58 PM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

I can't say whether the temp gauge went up or not but there wasn't a a CEL. Aside from the AC going out then coming back on after I shut it off and back on, the only thing I noticed was the rattle noise and then I pulled over.
Old 07-27-12, 12:58 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

I would call your insurance agent & ask his opinion as to how to proceed. Ask him if he can recommend an attorney that has dealt with this type of issue in the past.
Old 07-27-12, 03:03 PM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

Not necessarily progress but I've got an update. Spoke to the SA and asked for a break down of the issue. He said my water pump leaked and the coolant clotted. I asked if it was strictly a leak and nothing with the belt and he said it was the leak. This caused my engine to overheat, the block and heads are warped, and the pistons are scorned. He also mentioned that I basically need a short block with all the components and it comes to roughly 16k with labor. I had him fax over the repair estimate but unfortunately our fax at work is jacked and it's illegible. I had him fax it to my house but I won't be able to look at it until later tonight.

As for my warranty he claimed he sympathized with my situation. Lexus corp as well as the regional manager are aware since they've contacted him. He said we're at a standstill until extra care changes their mind and to just keep making noise.
Old 07-27-12, 03:13 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is terrible. Hope your extended warranty pick up the tab.

Was your thermo stat shooting up before the stop?
Old 07-27-12, 03:25 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Seriously, 16K for a short block??

What the hell is he on? I need some of that lol
Old 07-27-12, 03:45 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would assume your temp gauge was showing the car overheating, could it be that you just didn't notice it and kept driving until it was too late?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover