IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 04:42 PM
carbonlexi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kikkomanrj
Now this just sounds shady. Customer Service responded saying they're standing by their decision to decline assistance. I have not received a written repair estimate via email from the dealer so I called them to check on the status. The SA told me he plans on getting around to it by end of the day. If the dealer hasn't produced an actual list of what needs replacing yet, how accurate is the estimate of $18k and what data did cust service/extra care base their decision on? I've brought this up to cust service and am waiting for a response as well as a written repair estimate from the dealer.
something seriously isnt right a car is suppose to turn off before any internal damages happened when it over heats. LOL it happened to me when my belt snapped off my s14 kouki. Unless you were full throttle ?
Old 07-25-12, 04:58 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

i really hope lexus hq fixes everything for you. i searched months for and bought a cpo for all the coverage that is promised. should anything happen to my car that is not my fault id be very pissed if they dont cover it
Old 07-25-12, 07:14 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Now this just sounds shady. Customer Service responded saying they're standing by their decision to decline assistance. I have not received a written repair estimate via email from the dealer so I called them to check on the status. The SA told me he plans on getting around to it by end of the day. If the dealer hasn't produced an actual list of what needs replacing yet, how accurate is the estimate of $18k and what data did cust service/extra care base their decision on? I've brought this up to cust service and am waiting for a response as well as a written repair estimate from the dealer.
Forget them offering "assistance" how bout honoring their own written warranty?

I'd be asking for a written denial of warranty coverage from them explaining why they refuse to cover explicitly warrantied parts, and if they say no I'd be asking again on the letterhead of the state attorney generals office.
Old 07-25-12, 08:45 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

It still feels like we're not getting the whole story. What broke and what caused it?

Jeff
Old 07-26-12, 07:14 AM
mixa86
Pole Position

I would call HQ, and go to the supervisor or CEO himself until you get some definite answers. Read them back what parts are covered under the CPO.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/wa...#underWarranty

Wear and Tear
"Wear and Tear" is the gradual wearing down of a part that has not yet caused an actual breakdown of your vehicle. Parts that wear out which are not covered include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums, and manual clutches.
there is no WATERPUMP under wear and tear where it is not covered.

Cooling Is listed right under warranty covered parts, correct me if im wrong WATERPUMP is part of cooling?

If they keep denying you have a great case to sue them for not honoring your warranty.

That dealership who has your car are @$$holes.... the dealership i went to here, with my 3rd party warranty the dealer was arguing with the warranty company for not covering my parts, they were standing behind me. THis dealership threw u under the bus and with a huge bill!!
Old 07-26-12, 08:56 AM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
It still feels like we're not getting the whole story. What broke and what caused it?

Jeff
All I've been told is that my water pump failed and it caused internal engine damage. The only details mentioned are the cylinders and valves.

Cust. care claims Extra Care "reviewed my concern and with their research found the cause to be wear and tear" and suggests I contact them to "discuss my concerns further". I'm going to contact Extra Care and demand they explain why it's wear and tear.
Old 07-26-12, 09:08 AM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

In case anyone is interested.

http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum..._Pre_Owned.pdf
Old 07-26-12, 10:30 AM
mixa86
Pole Position

extra care is pulling a fast one!!! but keep escalating the issue in easy care dont stop at the first no.
Old 07-26-12, 01:57 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

And it listed water pump right there clear as day as the last line item under the "Engine" category. So what's up Lexus?
Old 07-26-12, 02:13 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Forget them offering "assistance" how bout honoring their own written warranty?

I'd be asking for a written denial of warranty coverage from them explaining why they refuse to cover explicitly warrantied parts, and if they say no I'd be asking again on the letterhead of the state attorney generals office.
Yes! Get this in writing as to why EXACTLY the repairs are being rejected and then go from there. As long as the car was maintained, you should be getting this covered under the CPO warranty. Keep putting the pressure on them to fix this, i'm sure they will come around. Water pump failure is not wear and tear.
Old 07-26-12, 06:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Just pull up the maintenance schedule and ask where it says the water pump should be replaced. FWIW, it's not there. In fact, there's NO cooling system maintenance in the schedule (besides check for leaks) before 120k miles. The SLLC they put in there is scheduled to last 120k miles before the first change and 60k miles thereafter.

So they REALLY want to say the pump will fail because of wear and tear before the first coolant change? Whomever you are working with is unaware of the standard maintenance schedule. That's pretty sad.
Old 07-26-12, 08:13 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Breach of contract.... breach of contract..... breach of contract......
Old 07-26-12, 08:45 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

You still don't know what they're not covering or why. All you've said is the water pump failed, what does that mean? Did it leak all your coolant out? Did it seize up and shred your belt? What is actually wrong with the car right now? What caused it? Did the belt fail first? Which component failed, and is that component covered?

Seriously, I deal with warranty every day. There's no way both the dealer and Lexus Corporate are denying you coverage without a reason. Find out what the reason is.

The dealer has no interest in denying warranty if it's a legitimate warranty issue, they'd WANT to do the work. Their parts department will make money on every one of those parts and their service department will make hours. The only reason they wouldn't want to, is if for some reason they think they can bill you at retail rate instead of getting paid warranty rate from Lexus. Any service adviser with this repair order on their desk is going to know they're not getting $18,000 out of you to repair the car.

If a warrantable part failed, as you claim, and there is subsequent damage (to another warrantable part even -- the engine), what cause would they have to deny you warranty?

You need to find out what is happening, because from everything you've posted so far, it sounds like you don't really know what's going on with your car. I don't mean to be rude or harsh, I'm seriously trying to help, but things aren't adding up at all.

Jeff
Old 07-26-12, 08:51 PM
baputsti
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
You still don't know what they're not covering or why. All you've said is the water pump failed, what does that mean? Did it leak all your coolant out? Did it seize up and shred your belt? What is actually wrong with the car right now? What caused it? Did the belt fail first? Which component failed, and is that component covered?

Seriously, I deal with warranty every day. There's no way both the dealer and Lexus Corporate are denying you coverage without a reason. Find out what the reason is.

The dealer has no interest in denying warranty if it's a legitimate warranty issue, they'd WANT to do the work. Their parts department will make money on every one of those parts and their service department will make hours. The only reason they wouldn't want to, is if for some reason they think they can bill you at retail rate instead of getting paid warranty rate from Lexus. Any service adviser with this repair order on their desk is going to know they're not getting $18,000 out of you to repair the car.

If a warrantable part failed, as you claim, and there is subsequent damage (to another warrantable part even -- the engine), what cause would they have to deny you warranty?

You need to find out what is happening, because from everything you've posted so far, it sounds like you don't really know what's going on with your car. I don't mean to be rude or harsh, I'm seriously trying to help, but things aren't adding up at all.

Jeff
I don't want to be rude to the OP, but it seems to me that he's not telling the whole story to us.
Old 07-27-12, 02:28 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

get a lawyer involved or if its too much just total it out with your insurance and replace it and never go back to that dealership.

Quick Reply: engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover