IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 06:46 AM
mixa86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine was @ 62k have dealer notes to prove it.
Old 08-09-12, 08:32 AM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

I appreciate the support but by reoccuring issue, I meant denying warranty coverage. From the FTC:

"The Federal Trade Commission, the nation's consumer protection agency, collects complaints about companies, business practices, identity theft, and episodes of violence in the media.

Why: Your complaints can help us detect patterns of wrong-doing, and lead to investigations and prosecutions. The FTC enters all complaints it receives into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database that is used by thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement authorities worldwide. The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints."

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
Old 08-10-12, 04:52 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine was replaced at around 35k
Old 08-10-12, 05:01 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kikkomanrj
I appreciate the support but by reoccuring issue, I meant denying warranty coverage. From the FTC:

"The Federal Trade Commission, the nation's consumer protection agency, collects complaints about companies, business practices, identity theft, and episodes of violence in the media.

Why: Your complaints can help us detect patterns of wrong-doing, and lead to investigations and prosecutions. The FTC enters all complaints it receives into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database that is used by thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement authorities worldwide. The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints."

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
It is time you talk to a lawyer, it may cost you a little to have them write a nice letter, but at least, Lexus will know you mean business. You are wasting time trying these avenues, while your car sits at their lot and they know the longer it stays there, the more desperate you'll be.
Old 08-11-12, 08:39 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
You should be careful about giving (bad) advice. Note, that companies do have the right to sue consumers for public slander or defamation. Google it, it's becoming more and more common.
Also bad advice- warning folks about being sued for slander without understanding what slander is.

To start with, slander is spoken, not written. Libel is written.

And even then it requires the person suing must prove that the statement was false. The OP telling people what actually happened to him wouldn't be actionable as libel as long as what he's saying is true.
Old 08-30-12, 01:09 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Kikk, how about an update. What did you decide? What are you doing to resolve this?
Old 08-30-12, 04:02 PM
Nilism
Rookie

Yes, please. What is happening here?
Old 08-30-12, 07:43 PM
Tcooper3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by my1s250
yeah werent people having there waterpump replaced when they had the carbon buildup fixed....because they found mine leaking and fixed it right away
Yes they replaced mine when they replaced the valves for carbon build up. I didn't know it was an issue until then. I have only had this car a month.
Old 09-01-12, 01:12 PM
Hipp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by adamlexus1
So a little bittersweet..but after reading this thread I decided to run out to my car at night, with a headlamp, to check the coolant reservoir. Sure enough, I noticed pink dry residue on the reservoir and below it. I immediately scheduled a service appointment and they called me a few hours after dropping it off and said there was a leak and the water pump needed to be replaced. It is all covered under my Extra Care. This thread might have saved me the same drama.

Incidentally there was also a clattering noise that I asked them to look at, turns out there was a loose pin in the intake cam that was causing a dry start, which they are also fixing.

Good luck to all of you.

2006 is250 75k
As horrible as this story is, and as bad as I feel for the op and his situation, this thread has been a lifesaver.. after reading through this and finding this guys post I also went and checked my 08 IS250 with 49k and just like him I also had a dry pink residue around the coolant reservoir cover and down around my water pump, and had low coolant.. its Saturday so I will not be driving my car till I can schedule an appointment first thing Monday morning...

To the OP I've read that you are looking into legal advice.. smart move. I look forward to hearing how this turns out.. best of luck!
Old 09-01-12, 04:42 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

good read. thanks for this thread.
Old 09-01-12, 06:48 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Always amused when a relative newcomer comes on here with some horrible problem, gets everybody frothed up (10 pages of discussion), asks for advice, and then often never gets back to us as to a conclusion. If you are going to state your problem and ask for help please make an effort to fill us in on the conclusion. just sayin'
Old 09-02-12, 04:54 PM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

I ended up paying for a used engine swap out of pocket. Cheaper than what was quoted for new but still a good chunk of change. All dialogues with lexus went nowhere. I did everything short of calling the news and getting a lawyer. If any of you know of someone in the chicagoland area who could take the case, I'm all ears.

My car has run fine for a couple of weeks now. Some controls aren't working (horn, cruise, steering wheel radio/phone, airbag light) but that's for another thread.

I'm glad my experience helped others catch the issue before it was too late. FYI, there wasnt even a error code.
Old 09-02-12, 06:23 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

which dealer refused your warranty?
Old 09-02-12, 08:48 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad you're back back on the road. Sorry things didn't work out in your favor. Now I'm curious does your CPO warranty carry over to the new engine?
Old 09-02-12, 09:12 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to see your back on the road too, it just sucks that you had to pay for this out of pocket!!!

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Glad you're back back on the road. Sorry things didn't work out in your favor. Now I'm curious does your CPO warranty carry over to the new engine?
Pretty sure any future claim having to do with the engine will be voided now that the engine had to be swapped. Sucks

Quick Reply: engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover