IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-12, 08:16 PM
252kmiles
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

talk to them again please argue when they said that is a wear and tear. A wear ad tear part should be listed in the manual and recommended service just like the belt is. I think you have a strong case here. Tell them that you need to speak to a supervisor or manager over there.
Speak calmly and just explained that this should be covered. If he/she does not budge, tell them that you will bring this "forward". I believe you are going to win anyway. And lawyer, find one who's going to get his part if you win the case. good luck..
Old 07-27-12, 09:01 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Water pump leaked coolant.... water pump failed causing engine failure..... water pump is the culprit.... water pump and engine are covered under the warranty.....not a wear and tear failure...... you win..... make lexus point out in the contract they have with you where....based on the failure....they can deny coverage.
Old 07-28-12, 12:39 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Well I hope you get this fixed bro 16k is nothing to sneeze at. But long as that belt didn't break due to you not replacing it on time I feel they should pay. I been driving plenty of times and not even remotely looking at the temp gauge. There surely should be a warning chime once it goes up to about 3/4 of the way to the red on the temp. I personally thought warrantys were for the unknowns and what ifs that can happen. Now that **** has happened they don't want to help.
And at 16k you can get another car pretty much.

And @ rdis250awd yeah I got a gallardo posted pics up here before I don't want to get this guys thread off track.

You can go look in this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-price-4.html

Last edited by stasis3131; 07-29-12 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-28-12, 04:07 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

So there was no check engine light, no ding and nothing indicating over heat.. ?

You should bring up the fact that you know there was a high rate of water pump failures on is250's
Old 07-28-12, 01:03 PM
ALPHAF
Driver School Candidate

Many times there is no audio indicator for overheating, and only a sweeping temp gauge. Hell, even CELs are bogus at times, and can come on when it is too late. Good luck with everything, and I hope your case is handled fairly.
Old 07-28-12, 09:52 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There still seems to be more to the story than what we are getting. If the water pump fails and the engine overheats the temp gauge goes into the hot mode; that is a signal to STOP and figure out what happened. If the car was continously driven, eventually boiling the water away you will end up with a ruined engine. Just because the driver didn't monitor the temp gauge doesn't mean it is Lexus' fault. We need more info.
Old 07-30-12, 08:41 AM
mixa86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
There still seems to be more to the story than what we are getting. If the water pump fails and the engine overheats the temp gauge goes into the hot mode; that is a signal to STOP and figure out what happened. If the car was continously driven, eventually boiling the water away you will end up with a ruined engine. Just because the driver didn't monitor the temp gauge doesn't mean it is Lexus' fault. We need more info.

Lets say the OP didnt see the temp raise, the failed part which is under warranty caused the other parts to fail which they cover also under warranty.
Old 07-30-12, 01:05 PM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

Spoke to Extra Care today. Their evidence shows that my water pump was starting to go bad a couple weeks before the incident and I or a tech should've noticed coolant leaks on the engine, oil pan, and tranny. The staining there shows it's been there for some time. Extra Care also said I should've checked my coolant level regularly and smelled coolant burning when I stepped outside of the car. I also should've heard the water pump blades scrapping against the metal.

I argued that I take my car in for service as stated in the manual, did not notice any odd sounds, spills, or smells, and took action as soon as I noticed something was wrong. Regarding the coolant gauge, Extra Care said it's possible the gauge wouldn't go up if there wasn't enough coolant. Extra Care said that though they understand my position, they still can't "participate in this claim" because the car was driven extensively in an overheated state. I asked if there was anyone else to speak with in Extra Care and he said no. I'm going to take this back to Customer Service.
Old 07-30-12, 01:13 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

What is extra care?
Old 07-30-12, 01:23 PM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

Lexus's warranty division
Old 07-30-12, 01:25 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow are you serious. I've never heard of lexus treating customers like that idk that seems really strange and alsO 18k seems way too much to repair and engine and def get a lawyer involved because the stuff they are saying to smell for and listen for seems opinionated as well..
Old 07-30-12, 01:25 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Their explanation means only a "car guy" can use the Lexus Warranty - there is no way my wife would have noticed ANY of those warning signs.

Assuming a new motor is well under $10k, why would they consider fixing this one anyway?
Old 07-30-12, 01:33 PM
Lexura
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kikkomanrj

I argued that I take my car in for service as stated in the manual, did not notice any odd sounds, spills, or smells, and took action as soon as I noticed something was wrong. Regarding the coolant gauge, Extra Care said it's possible the gauge wouldn't go up if there wasn't enough coolant. Extra Care said that though they understand my position, they still can't "participate in this claim" because the car was driven extensively in an overheated state. I asked if there was anyone else to speak with in Extra Care and he said no. I'm going to take this back to Customer Service.

The fact that you "should have known" is complete and utter BS. You're a customer, they can't assume you are knowledgeable about certain warning signs about a vehicle. That's what the warning lights are for, to make sure these highly advanced machines are dummy proof. If there was no gauge or light to indicate the car was in an "overheated state" you shouldn't be at fault. What if you hadn't taken it in for service as the car didn't need it? You could have still had the failure with no warning lights and the same result would have happened. Looks like Lexus is trying to not be accountable for a legit failure of one or two systems on a vehicle they built. If there was something wrong prior, esp for something like an overheating car, the gauge cluster should tell you so!
Old 07-30-12, 01:39 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The electro lumince display could have showed something but on these cars don't, it's a waste of that feature..
It's just like the old cars where you just gotta see if the temp gauge needle is pegged or not.

You have probably lost coolant before the incident.

I just bought another vehicle and the manual shows possible warning messages for engine overheat, transmission overheat and 4WD overheat (differential). Hope I never see them but it's there, and it's a more econo brand than Lexus.

What they have said is quite unfair, most of us with a relatively new lexus is not holding a flashlight to inspect these things.
Old 07-30-12, 01:52 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

What about the fact that MANY IS250's have premature failure of the water pump..

I noticed my car leaking something in the snow winter 2010 when I first got it. There was no smell and no warning lights. Fall 2011 when it went in for warranty service they replaced the water pump because it was leaking. I had NO idea it was doing this at all. There was no smell, there was nothing in my driveway under the car.. I think it's a bunch of bs and you need to elevate it to a higher authority.

The fact that 1000's of these water pumps have been replaced under warranty should be enough for them to realize it's their mistake.

Quick Reply: engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover