IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 02:22 PM
will_is250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kikkomanrj
I feel the same way. The only thing I left out from the day it broke down is that my AC cut out for a bit before I started hearing the noise. What I don't get is the dealer said my water pump failed which caused internal damage to the engine and now it's wear and tear. My car is out of town with the engine disassembled. It's going to cost to get it towed to get a 2nd opinion, let alone a shop nearby. I'm gonna try one more complaint with Lexus and if they still won't cover I'll have to consider totaling it.

I don't think that insurance companies total cars over maintenance related or mechanical failure, really just for collision or "comprehensive" coverage. Otherwise all those people driving around with junkers would actually carry full coverage and be hitting up their insurance all the time...

Either way your situation sucks, it really does sound like there's more to the story though, was the car neglected? I know you mentioned you had another shop do the service over the past year, but I can't see any reason why corporate would not cover this unless there was obvious proof that the failure was due to some type of neglect.

If you can't get any further with corporate you might end up towing it back and having a used engine put in.
Old 07-24-12, 03:32 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2JZ SWAP with big turbo
Old 07-24-12, 04:30 PM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

^Hehe. I can't speak about the previous owner but since I've had it, I've followed the maintenance schedule in the manual with a dealer until about a year ago and an independent dealer/shop since then. After talking it over, if Lexus still won't cover it I'm gonna go with getting it towed here and repaired by a shop I trust. I'm gonna ask the dealer in IN to email me the quote so I can see what they're gonna replace and how many labor hours. 18k just does not sound right.
Old 07-24-12, 04:46 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kikkomanrj
^Hehe. I can't speak about the previous owner but since I've had it, I've followed the maintenance schedule in the manual with a dealer until about a year ago and an independent dealer/shop since then. After talking it over, if Lexus still won't cover it I'm gonna go with getting it towed here and repaired by a shop I trust. I'm gonna ask the dealer in IN to email me the quote so I can see what they're gonna replace and how many labor hours. 18k just does not sound right.
Can't you buy a new motor for somewhere around $7k? I see used ones on the web for $3 - 4k.
Old 07-24-12, 09:39 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

You need to speak with Lexus HQ and get them to explain to you in writing how a water pump failin gat 75k is wear and tear... Your warranty contract specifically covers water pump failure. A lawyer would eat this up. I suggest you speak to one.
Old 07-24-12, 09:40 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Also, not sure but is the water pump belt driven? If it is, then they can claim a overworn belt broke, causing the failure. If thats the case, that would explain why your a/c went out right before the failure.,... no belt.... no compressor turning.
Old 07-24-12, 10:28 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

come on mannnn why put so much money into another stock motor when you can go over 450+ HP
Old 07-24-12, 11:12 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

if you followed the maintance chart and it didn't say you have to replace the water pump then why isn't this covered? I guess you are supposed to have an x-ray eye to see the waterpump is about the fail?

Also why doesn't these cars have a warning when the coolant is above certain temperature?
I think you overheated, warped the head and engine siezed up. $18K is probably a new long block on a crate and your car is may not have $18k market value before the incident.

Again this CPO warranty is BS if they don't cover it.
Get a used engine swapped in should only be thousands..

Last edited by SC3coupe; 07-24-12 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-25-12, 05:35 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
if you followed the maintance chart and it didn't say you have to replace the water pump then why isn't this covered? I guess you are supposed to have an x-ray eye to see the waterpump is about the fail?

Also why doesn't these cars have a warning when the coolant is above certain temperature?
I think you overheated, warped the head and engine siezed up. $18K is probably a new long block on a crate and your car is may not have $18k market value before the incident.

Again this CPO warranty is BS if they don't cover it.
Get a used engine swapped in should only be thousands..
Why would you need a warning when you have a reading on your dash all the time (temp gauge). Also for those that don't know if you see your temp gauge move beyond the half way point it is a clue that something is up with the cooling system.
Old 07-25-12, 07:17 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by B16da9
Why would you need a warning when you have a reading on your dash all the time (temp gauge). Also for those that don't know if you see your temp gauge move beyond the half way point it is a clue that something is up with the cooling system.
Every other car in the world has a high temp warning of some sort.

You have to manually stop this car from beeping at you after 5 feet of no seat belt. I would totally expect a CHIME and two or three lights going off over high temps on this car.
Old 07-25-12, 09:33 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

If you were advised that the drive belt (which IS a wear and tear item) needed to be replaced, and you didn't get it replaced, and that failed, causing the water pump to not spin, and that caused overheating which damaged the engine, then no I do not expect that to be covered.

However if it were something like the water pump seized and that caused the belt to break, that I would expect to be covered.

I can't comment without more information, but I'm sure Lexus USA probably had all of the information. If they denied the claim, there was probably a reason.

Jeff
Old 07-25-12, 09:37 AM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

A follow up complaint to customer service may have gained some traction. Dealer called saying he's compiling a list of parts and figures to send to corporate/extra care. I figured this would have happened already. Told them to email me the same list.
Old 07-25-12, 10:00 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Good luck buddy. I hope it gets taken care of.
Old 07-25-12, 10:39 AM
balanced
Driver

let us know what happens. I just bought a 07 with a CPO so I'm certainly interested!
Old 07-25-12, 02:08 PM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

Now this just sounds shady. Customer Service responded saying they're standing by their decision to decline assistance. I have not received a written repair estimate via email from the dealer so I called them to check on the status. The SA told me he plans on getting around to it by end of the day. If the dealer hasn't produced an actual list of what needs replacing yet, how accurate is the estimate of $18k and what data did cust service/extra care base their decision on? I've brought this up to cust service and am waiting for a response as well as a written repair estimate from the dealer.

Quick Reply: engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover