IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

engine needs 18k in repairs, lexus won't cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 09:40 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just dosent make sense...the only reason they caught my bad pump was because i noticed a weird noise (sounded like liqud running back to the car) other than that it got an oil change and they never said a word about it. I asked my SA and they said if it had broken while driving to he point of engine failure everything including towing would have been paid for by Lexus Corporate. Sucks to hear about the issue to me it sounds more like maybe a 3rd party warranty denying a claim.
Old 09-03-12, 02:30 AM
Adam350is
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol wow. read ENTIRE thread. This has got me a little worried as my car is bought used from a car lot and has 91k miles on it. Also i am out of town and need to drive 100 miles home to my autocare shop.

(when i bought the car it had 89k miles on it, and everything looked okay and has run great. i took my autocare shop manager with me to inspect... also its ****ing hot here, now im all ****ing paranoid! haha.)
Old 09-04-12, 09:26 AM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

Originally Posted by Phresh2010
which dealer refused your warranty?
My car was towed to Lexus of Mishawaka but the dealers don't refuse warranty coverage. Similar to an insurance claim, the dealer/shop provides and estimate and a representative from Lexus Extra Care (their warranty division) comes to approve the work.

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Pretty sure any future claim having to do with the engine will be voided now that the engine had to be swapped. Sucks
What he said.

Originally Posted by robertrios
I asked my SA and they said if it had broken while driving to he point of engine failure everything including towing would have been paid for by Lexus Corporate. Sucks to hear about the issue to me it sounds more like maybe a 3rd party warranty denying a claim.
My SA said the same thing. They assume since you're under warranty everything should be fine. Roadside assistance takes care of the tow.
Old 09-04-12, 09:50 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kikkomanrj
I ended up paying for a used engine swap out of pocket. Cheaper than what was quoted for new but still a good chunk of change. All dialogues with lexus went nowhere. I did everything short of calling the news and getting a lawyer. If any of you know of someone in the chicagoland area who could take the case, I'm all ears.

My car has run fine for a couple of weeks now. Some controls aren't working (horn, cruise, steering wheel radio/phone, airbag light) but that's for another thread.

I'm glad my experience helped others catch the issue before it was too late. FYI, there wasnt even a error code.
Take them to Small Claims Court:

What Types Of Cases Are Handled In Small Claims Court?
Small claims court may be used only for certain types of cases. For example:

•Lawsuits such as breach of contract, property damage, or personal injury.
•All evictions, regardless of the amount of rent claimed.
•Repossessions of property if the property consists of consumer goods which are leased or purchased on credit from a dealer, or if the value of the property does not exceed the amount that is determined by county where filed.
•Garnishments to enforce judgments from funds owed to debtors.
•The maximum judgment allowed in small claims court is $10,000.00 plus costs; therefore, your claim may not exceed $10,000.00.

http://www.ag.state.il.us/consumers/smlclaims.html

Denying warranty coverage without grounds is breach of contract.

No lawyers needed, bring all our documentation, receipt, pictures, etc. You can also have a lawyer assist with writting the initial claim letter to go along with the summons for a smaller fee than having them represent you. At least you can recover some of your money and then ask that they fix all remaining issues and re-instate remaining warranty on the car.
Old 09-04-12, 12:18 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

I honestly think that if you got some attention on the auto blogs, represented yourself in a calm and "just the facts" manner - you'd get some action on this.
Old 09-02-14, 11:12 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello CL members –

It is worrying me when reading water pump broke for IS350 and sounds expensive. How can I determin if my waterpump is in working condition or needs to be replaced? So this morning after driving to work (roughly 12 miles) and I noticed sligh smoke coming out of my engine. I’ve popped the hood and noticed my coolant is pretty much either low or empty – sorry I can’t tell just by looking at it. My engine oil level is good and tempt gauge show normal. I’ve not add any coolant for some time now so maybe just my coolant running low? I’ve asked my wife to check garage floor and she saw no sign of fluid / leaking sign. I will be adding coolant before I restart the car but wanted to see what might be wrong from fellow CL members…

2006 IS350 original owner, roughly 175k
Old 09-02-14, 11:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

on the front face of the engine if you see some pink crust leaking out. You may hear a whining chattery metal sound too. The coolant reservoir has MAX and MIN levels on it, fill your coolant up to MAX. It requires the pink coolant which I found at oreily as Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant, or you can find it at toyota.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-is-250-a.html
Old 09-02-14, 12:53 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
on the front face of the engine if you see some pink crust leaking out. You may hear a whining chattery metal sound too. The coolant reservoir has MAX and MIN levels on it, fill your coolant up to MAX. It requires the pink coolant which I found at oreily as Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant, or you can find it at toyota.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-is-250-a.html
Thanks for the info and link. In regards to pink crust leaking are you referring me to check the actual radiator cap and see if any pink crust around it? I believe I may have to remove the cover to see....

Since i'm at work as of now I've only looked at the clear white reservoir that holds the radiator fluid and so far no sign of pink crust you mentioned. No metal noise this morning when I drove...
Old 09-02-14, 02:56 PM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

I've been reading this whole thread with some interest.
I am the kind of guy who normally doesn't post just to add a point that someone else has already made, but in this case I'm going to make an exception due to my own personal experience.

"GET A LAWYER" - not just any lawyer, but one who specializes in Lemon Law and Auto Manufacturer Warranty issues. Believe it or not, they're actually quite easy to find. I had cause about 4 years ago to need one, and I tried (for months) to work things out in good faith on my own (with Cadillac in my case), but in the end, they really offered me nothing for my trouble. They treated me exactly as you described you're being treated. They tried to make it seem as if it was an open/shut case with no recourse.

On advice from a friend, I contacted an attorney out of Dayton, OH who specializes in these types of things. I spoke with them via phone for about 15 minutes. I then faxed them all of my documents related to the my issue (service records) and the next day he called me back. He said he would take my case on contingency and he seemed rather confident we'd prevail. I had nothing to lose, so I allowed him to represent me.

The one mistake I made was not having another car lined up to buy already. He resolved a full buy back of my Cadillac (at full purchase price plus state sales tax ~ $74,000) from the manufacturer in under 5 days even though my Escalade (Hybrid) was over 20 months old at the time. GM also paid him over $11,000 in attorney fees for his trouble. All this in under a week after offering me no more than a $500 goodwill gesture for well over 4 months of me trying in good faith.

To make this story simple, my experience taught me that car manufacturers don't really want to resolve things "fairly", they just want to screw you and they are thrilled when you don't get representation. As soon as you do, their tune changes completely. I really regret the time/effort/frustration I spent doing this on my own. I should have gotten representation immediately after the first "no".

My advice is simple. Get professional help by someone who specializes in this area. They'll make it easy and make sure you get exactly what you're entitled to receive.

Best of luck!
Keep us updated.

Michael