IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is250 steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 06:07 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is250 steering rack

well i brought my car in march and within 3 months my power steering went. luckily i purchased an aftermarket warranty which wasnt too helpful. they only wanted to replace it with a used unit and only wanted to pay 800 tops for the part. i spent a month looking for a used part and couldnt find one any where, and when i did they had like 80 thousand miles and 3 month warranty on them. i didnt want to put a used unit so it could fail again, and new they wanted 2,500 bucks. well after searching and searching, i found a place that rebuilds them with new parts with a 36 month warranty for 500 bucks. i had mine installed about 2 weeks now and everything is working out good so far. at least now i dont have to worry about this problem for 3 yrs lol. well bottom line if anyone is in need of a rack its 500 bucks and 250 deposit until they recieve back the old unit. the place is located in Ca, and they charged 44 bucks to ship it to new york. let me know and i will give you his contact info if you need it.
Old 07-17-12, 08:52 AM
Silvicious
Rookie

Wow. I had the EXACT same thing happen. Bought a 2006 is250 from the dealerhsip...............71k on it and it is almost brand new, a grandma must have owned..........drive it for about a month and the steering rack starts locking up. Go to Lexus and they quote me 2,500....maybe a little over. SO..........being the ******* and persistant person i am, i tell the service manager that i am not paying for this after only having the car a month..................Boom, 2,500 steering for free. Gotta be a **** sometimes.....
Old 07-18-12, 08:57 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Originally Posted by Silvicious
Wow. I had the EXACT same thing happen. Bought a 2006 is250 from the dealerhsip...............71k on it and it is almost brand new, a grandma must have owned..........drive it for about a month and the steering rack starts locking up. Go to Lexus and they quote me 2,500....maybe a little over. SO..........being the ******* and persistant person i am, i tell the service manager that i am not paying for this after only having the car a month..................Boom, 2,500 steering for free. Gotta be a **** sometimes.....
yeh you got lucky cause you brought it from a lexus dealer, i brought mine from a used car dealer lexus wouldnt help me cause i didnt buy it from them
Old 07-18-12, 11:07 AM
Silvicious
Rookie

yeah. see thats bull****. exactly why i did that. I know dealerships are normally bad, but lexus has been great. They just dumped over 8k into my car to have the carbon build up issue fixed as well..nothing but generous to me.
Old 07-18-12, 12:26 PM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Originally Posted by silvicious
yeah. See thats bull****. Exactly why i did that. I know dealerships are normally bad, but lexus has been great. They just dumped over 8k into my car to have the carbon build up issue fixed as well..nothing but generous to me.
the first thing they asked me is where i brought the car, and that they only honor a claim if i brought the car from them, other than that they said to go thru my crappy warranty i had,lol. Its all good, i brought the car because it was awd, and didnt realize the crap that this car had wrong with it. I thought nisssan was bad with the oil burning issues on the 3.5 motor but this car takes the cake. I guess every car mfg has there own unique problems, but other than that i love the car.
Old 07-18-12, 01:27 PM
Silvicious
Rookie

Yeah. at the end of the day, they have some issues.............yes. but every car does. Lexus is Toyota, no matter how you want to spin it. They are manuf. on the same line as Toyotas and even have toyota parts, so the car is quality. There are design flaws in the is250 for sure, but Lexus has corrected those with LSB's and arranged fixes for customers who bring their car in to a dealership. The only thing i would of done if i were you, was purchase it from a used selection at a Lexus dealer. But thats about it. You stil have a great and fun car that will go well over 100k. So take car of it and enjoy it
Old 07-18-12, 01:33 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvicious
Yeah. at the end of the day, they have some issues.............yes. but every car does. Lexus is Toyota, no matter how you want to spin it. They are manuf. on the same line as Toyotas
They really aren't though... not the IS (or GS) at any rate.

They are RWD sedans. Toyota doesn't make or sell any of those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus#Production

Lexus production techniques include methods and standards of quality control that differ from Toyota models. At the Tahara plant, separate assembly lines were developed for Lexus vehicles along with new molds and specialized manufacturing equipment
(bold added)

This is why Lexus typically has significantly higher scores in reliability and long term dependability than Toyota (even in cases where they DO share a platform, such as the Camry/ES)
Old 06-14-13, 04:36 PM
Bkreutz
Driver School Candidate

Hey there i know this was last year, but my dealer is saying my power steerin rack is shot, and i have a newborn baby but im also not rich since they want over $3000 with labor to replace it, do you have the info on the company you used, and can i ship mine to them as im out of state?? Thanks i appreicate any info!

Last edited by Bkreutz; 06-14-13 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-03-14, 11:51 AM
Biggylarge
Driver School Candidate

please my steering rack just short down , please can someone help me out on what to do. you can reach me on +27788228368 or email, emmatex3000@yahoo.com
Old 03-26-15, 05:12 AM
TECHis250
Driver School Candidate

Wink Need info

Please send me the information i have a 2006 w a Steering issue that i need to resolve please send me the info to computermall2000@yahoo.com a ty one more time For the Post

Originally Posted by CANDYAPPLE
well i brought my car in march and within 3 months my power steering went. luckily i purchased an aftermarket warranty which wasnt too helpful. they only wanted to replace it with a used unit and only wanted to pay 800 tops for the part. i spent a month looking for a used part and couldnt find one any where, and when i did they had like 80 thousand miles and 3 month warranty on them. i didnt want to put a used unit so it could fail again, and new they wanted 2,500 bucks. well after searching and searching, i found a place that rebuilds them with new parts with a 36 month warranty for 500 bucks. i had mine installed about 2 weeks now and everything is working out good so far. at least now i dont have to worry about this problem for 3 yrs lol. well bottom line if anyone is in need of a rack its 500 bucks and 250 deposit until they recieve back the old unit. the place is located in Ca, and they charged 44 bucks to ship it to new york. let me know and i will give you his contact info if you need it.
Old 03-26-15, 12:44 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I wish the OP would have just put the company's info on in the thread. Would make it much easier for future users to contact them about rebuilds.
Old 03-27-15, 09:34 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

Just recently replaced my steering rack under warranty. Didn't realize this was a common problem on the AWD is. My car is a 2010 with 84k miles, I brought it in to the dealer after I noticed some weird noises when going over rough roads which got worse over time. Turns out to be the steering rack assembly and both inner/outer tie rods. My service advisor said it there was a TSB out for the steering rack and everything was covered by my extended factory warranty.