IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS turns on with out a flat or loss of air

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 05:58 AM
halfnyce07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS turns on with out a flat or loss of air

This is probably in another thread somewhere, but I got aftermarket TPMS sensors on my aftermarket wheels. Yesterday my TPMS sensor went off, so I checked all four tires for any nails or screws (I have a history of having my parking spot booby trapped) and I didn't find any. So as soon as I pull out of my driveway it went back to normal, like nothing happened. So I went to work and checked my car a couple of times and the TPMS stayed off. So this morning I drove home no issues and as soon as I pulled in my driveway, the TPMS again started reading "low tire". So I pulled out of my driveway and it turned off again. I went around the block and as soon as I pulled into my driveway it read "low tire" again. It's reproducible. My question is what could be causing this, and if there is any "outside electrical interference" that could cause it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 07-12-12, 07:13 AM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have much experience with TPMS's but do you have your stock wheels in your garage somewhere? Maybe they lost some tire pressure and they're still programmed to your car?
Or does the aftermarket TPMS override this? Not sure o_o just a guess
Old 07-12-12, 08:23 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

If they were still programmed to the stock wheels at his residence, wouldn't a 'check system' flash on the dash once the connection was lost? Or can you have more than 2 sensors programmed per front and rear 'zone'?
Old 07-12-12, 05:30 PM
halfnyce07
Driver

Originally Posted by xldTylx
I don't have much experience with TPMS's but do you have your stock wheels in your garage somewhere? Maybe they lost some tire pressure and they're still programmed to your car?
Or does the aftermarket TPMS override this? Not sure o_o just a guess
I have two sets of sensors, the OEM ones on my OEM wheels and the Aftermarket ones on my aftermarket wheels. The thing is it was fine for the first week I had the rims and this started up yesterday. Also I live in an apartment building and my OEM wheels are in my apartment (on the third floor) so I don't know how it's able to still sense the old sensors. And also you can program two sets of sensors to your car I read that on here
Old 07-12-12, 05:52 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it cant sense it that far away. This is a very strange problem
Old 07-12-12, 09:10 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Im on the 3rd floor of my apartment and i park close to the side wall. My car will read my sensor that close enough. Looks like to me you didnt program your second set tpms to your car? If you did do that then make sure your not on your main sensor on your diplay.
Old 07-12-12, 09:19 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

are your aftermarket TPMS sensors the same brand and model as the oem TPMS sensors?
Old 07-13-12, 01:02 AM
halfnyce07
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
are your aftermarket TPMS sensors the same brand and model as the oem TPMS sensors?
No they are not the same brand. The guy at the tire shop told me that they were able to "clone" the sensors. And like I said the first week I had them there wasn't any issues.
Laobo979: I can see where that makes sense because I'm on the 3rd floor and my side wall points towards the parking lot where I park.
Old 07-13-12, 08:40 AM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember that you have a sensor in your spare.
Old 07-13-12, 08:11 PM
sonnyboi
Driver School Candidate

When you program pressure sensors, your vehicle is only looking for that serial code. It would not pick up any other frequencies. There is not a sensor in your spare on the is model. Is the tpms on Main or 2nd switch?
Old 07-15-12, 08:56 AM
halfnyce07
Driver

Originally Posted by sonnyboi
When you program pressure sensors, your vehicle is only looking for that serial code. It would not pick up any other frequencies. There is not a sensor in your spare on the is model. Is the tpms on Main or 2nd switch?
Im not too sure, I have to check I was playing around with that switch the other day to see if it did anything. Whats the difference between the two and which one do you suggest I have it on?
Old 07-15-12, 08:35 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by halfnyce07
Im not too sure, I have to check I was playing around with that switch the other day to see if it did anything. Whats the difference between the two and which one do you suggest I have it on?
The switch allows you to toggle between two sets of sensors (summer tires and winter tires, for example), it has to be set to the serial numbers that have been programmed into the system by the Tech when they replaced the sensors. If they are the original ones that came with the car it should be set to the main switch.
Old 07-16-12, 03:53 AM
halfnyce07
Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
The switch allows you to toggle between two sets of sensors (summer tires and winter tires, for example), it has to be set to the serial numbers that have been programmed into the system by the Tech when they replaced the sensors. If they are the original ones that came with the car it should be set to the main switch.
I played with that switch today. When I turned the car on it was on "Main" I switched it to "2nd" and drove for about 150 yards until the "Check System" light came on, I switched it back to "main" and everything went back to normal. I think that the tech (if this is possible) set my summer tires as "Main" and as well as my winter tires. Is there anyway hat I can set them myself?
Old 07-28-12, 03:28 PM
halfnyce07
Driver

Well problem solved guys, I took the OEM wheels out of my apartment and stored them at my girlfriend's dad's house and the TPMS light doesn't turn on. I guess the sensor was reading my OEM tires from downstairs.