IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A "knocking noise"or clunkish noise in front suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-12, 05:30 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts
Default A "knocking noise"or clunkish noise in front suspension?

Here is a story of how this all began. During the first month or so during this year, I had swapped out my Megan EZ coils back to stock. The stock suspension at which time was not assembled and I had to compress and put it all back together. After the reinstall of the stock suspension everything was fine as if the car was back to stock form.

Then about 3 weeks it I started getting this "knocking" or clunking noise coming from the front suspension of the passenger side. At first the noise only occurred when I left my alley way and garage as the road is pretty uneven so I didn't think too much of it. Then the noise gradually increased over the course of the week, it doesn't all the time but during down hill acceleration sometimes from 0 or certain corners at low speeds the noise would occur. My friend took a look at it and noticed the front right spring was not in its correct setting and the noise could have possibly came from a "shifting spring". So he helped take it apart and corrected it, Noise got better just a little bit but still occurs.

After about 2 1/2 weeks of this nonsense I was driving my sister to work one morning and hit a pothole on my passenger side front and immediately noticed a even worse noise (louder knocking) on flat surface roads and regular driving. I brought it to the dealership the same morning and the reported the top mount and shock assembly needed replaced. It was all replaced and I had the car back within 2 days. When I got the car back I didn't notice any more noise on the way home until certain streets. The noise sounds as if it were the same noise before I hit the pothole. The continuous noise from hitting the pothole has been corrected, now it just sounds like it did before the whole "pothole" incident.

At this point I have no idea what is going on, all my bushings and bolts appears to be tight, I also plan on getting coils again soon and if changing the whole suspension out would correct this I wont worry too much about it. but until then does anyone know what is wrong?

SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY, JUST DIDN'T WANT TO MISS ANY CRUCIAL POINTS. ALL RESPONSES AND SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED.
Old 07-07-12, 08:44 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Any input?
Old 07-07-12, 08:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

As strange as it sounds I once had a clunking noise which I thought was coming from the front but it was actually the F-Sport rear sway bar come loose. Needed to be tightened. Stranger things have happened.
Old 07-07-12, 08:56 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

all suspension components on my car right now are stock, I would have thought since the car was at the dealership for 2 days they would have checked if any bolts were loose...guess I'll check it myself tomorrow