So for you...what's next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 08:33 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So for you...what's next?

Bonjour mon ami's,

I went to Lexus of Orlando yesterday after 2 brutal long days car shopping with my GF at other car dealerships , to upgrade to the ISF from the IS350. Long story short, no ISF's because the dealer says they get them in and they just sit there for months because no one wants to pay the 65k for a new ISF. Then he try's to convince me to consider the 2012 GS-F sport w/ ML and ect. Test drove and the luxury was at high standard. !!!Only problem was it felt a bit...slow! Body weight Don't get me wrong it was sweet, but at this point in my life it's not what I want. So I find my self thinking whats the next car my fellow ISx50 owners have their eyes on
And im also thinking I should just wait to see what the next Gen IS lineup will look like and the big boy ISF! Before I decide to get something soon.
Old 06-25-12, 08:45 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm trying to bring my car back to stock currently, as I'm ready for another car. I think if the 3rd Gen IS were already out, I'd get that. By a couple of months or hopefully sooner, it's going to be a CT200h (logically), or FR-S (emotionally), and my emotional side is edging out.
Old 06-25-12, 08:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly I expect to not like the 3IS.... I've disliked most of the cosmetic changes Lexus made on the IS from 2009 onward, and I really dislike the next-gen GS didn't improve the powertrain significantly.

So unless Lexus surprises me a lot with the 3IS I'm probably not going to be getting one.

Cars currently potential considerations (keep in mind I'm not planning to actually replace my IS until sometime in the summer/fall of 2014) are:

Caddy ATS

Next gen Infiniti G

Next gen IS (if they surprise me)

Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Caddy CTS-V Wagon (this is the unlikely dark horse, and only if I can get a 1-2 year old one at a decent price, they're insane new)

Less likely but will probably look at em:
Chevy SS (if they can manage to offer LS3 type performance and decent handling with an actual nice interior, not super likely)

Mustang GT (>400 hp for that price is at least worth looking at)

It's a depressingly short list honestly... I'm not willing to consider anything german both for reliability reasons and the fact I find their cars uber overpriced for what you get (a similarly equipped 328i costs more than an IS350- that's f'ing nuts- and audi's no better... and porsches priced higher than either).... I'm not willing to consider an Acura or Honda because they drive the wrong pair of wheels, as do all toyota car offerings but the underpowered FR-S and all Mazdas but the girly Miata... Chrysler makes crap, Ford has the wrong-wheels problem apart from the mustang... GM does too except for the camaro which is inferior to the mustang, the corvette which besides impractical still has an interior that doesn't live up to its powertrain and is fairly pricey, and the couple models from them already on my list)... Subaru is driving too many wheels for the power level and the interiors aren't terrific (except the underpowered BRZ), The Evo's even worse than Subaru in those regards...

I give not much a crap about mileage really, though higher is better of course but want the following:

Highly reliable (otherwise I wouldn't be buying a newer car, I'd just slap a 2JZ-GTE in an older GS or SC)

0-60 in 5 or less- quicker than the 2IS would be nice but slower is right out

Good handling/RWD

Good luxury interior

Either an excellent factory premium sound offering OR the ability to EASILY replace the factory system

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-25-12 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-25-12, 09:09 AM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

I think I may get an Evolution X or STI... My new job will require me to drive over the mountain pass here in Oregon and my RWD IS just wont cut it. Plus I refuse to raise it since it looks so good dropped
Old 06-25-12, 09:38 AM
dci4life
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jzsicklexi
I think I may get an Evolution X or STI... My new job will require me to drive over the mountain pass here in Oregon and my RWD IS just wont cut it. Plus I refuse to raise it since it looks so good dropped
I agree with this. If I didn't have my IS250 AWD. I would be looking at a Evo x or 08+ STI hatch back style. Still a huge fan of subies. Missing my 05 STI. But love my IS and it's luxury features. Just a little sluggish compared to STI.
Old 06-25-12, 10:27 AM
mixa86
Pole Position

For me its going back to a BMW. I love my IS350 on how it looks and drives, but in the end a bmw is built better for the driver (no plastic rattle, no engine noise, no road noise, responsive steering) but lexus is deff cheaper to fix
Old 06-25-12, 10:38 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

I am also looking to get an ISF for my next car. If things don't work out I'll prob get an Infiniti G coupe
Old 06-25-12, 10:45 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

To Kurtz: I have a few friends down here in Orlando who got the 2012 Mustang 5.0's standard package stripped down and just aftermarket long tubes and headers running 0-60 4.5secs. Crazy!!!

wow, so everyone who posted so far is probably not staying with Lexus...Interesting find.
Currently, for me it's.

Wait to see if I like the new IS 350
Get a used ISF
Wait for a new 4 door M3 again
or try to get a great price on a CTS-V.

To Jzsicklexi and dci4life I had the EVO 4 years ago and loved it, loved the all wheel drive and ease of mods. Turbo sound was nice, kinda miss that car a bit.
Old 06-25-12, 10:48 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

i've toyed over a lot of different rides over the last year or so in no particular order

Audi S4/S5
3 gen IS-F depending on what it looks/preforms like
2 gen if above is not to my liking
M3 but reliability is a concern
Some type of SUV
Old 06-25-12, 11:06 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Very timely thread for me as I plan to return my car to stock over the coming months in anticipation of a trade-in. I have just started considering what my next car will be, but on my working list is:
  1. Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG Coupe
  2. BMW M3 Coupe
  3. Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
  4. Lexus IS-F
  5. Lexus 4GS F-Sport
  6. Nissan GT-R

I test drove the 4GS a couple of times again this weekend. I LOVE the way it handles and the technology inside (especially that 800+ watt Mark Levinson sound system, OMG), but I still think it's too "old" of a car for me. I think if Lexus made a GS-F Coupe that would be my ideal car as I would like to stay in the Lexus family.
Old 06-25-12, 11:17 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brociouz
Very timely thread for me as I plan to return my car to stock over the coming months in anticipation of a trade-in. I have just started considering what my next car will be, but on my working list is:
  1. Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG Coupe
  2. BMW M3 Coupe
  3. Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
  4. Lexus IS-F
  5. Lexus 4GS F-Sport
  6. Nissan GT-R

I test drove the 4GS a couple of times again this weekend. I LOVE the way it handles and the technology inside (especially that 800+ watt Mark Levinson sound system, OMG), but I still think it's too "old" of a car for me. I think if Lexus made a GS-F Coupe that would be my ideal car as I would like to stay in the Lexus family.
I want to stick with my initial thoughts when I read your post...
WHAT the *. E63 AMG Coupe is nasty sick, excellent choice. One of the guys I use to play with overseas just got one and he told me he ran it in 4.1 secs last week. Shoot, I believe it could likely do faster. Honestly your list is an Ideal list and you capture the best cars for the 90K-60K range, in my personal opinion.
Edit:
Minus the GT-R being at the bottom. One of my all-time favorite cars, think its one of the best cars made in history.
Old 06-25-12, 11:19 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Im going to keep my 250 until it dies or gets too expensive to fix (which I dont anticipate happening for at least another 6+ years). Idealy I would like to get a GT-R or an ISF
Old 06-25-12, 11:20 AM
Evaunit1
Driver School Candidate

I think if I ever parted with the IS, it would be for an STi. When going for a new car the choice was either the STi or the IS250. I'm happy with my choice of course but theres always that side of me that comes out when I see a White STi pull up next to me or drive me.
Old 06-25-12, 11:21 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mixa86
For me its going back to a BMW. I love my IS350 on how it looks and drives, but in the end a bmw is built better for the driver (no plastic rattle, no engine noise, no road noise, responsive steering) but lexus is deff cheaper to fix
I'm with you lol I miss my M3 feel. 5yrs I owned it only went to the dealer for oil changes. I'm thinking 335is my next ride.
Old 06-25-12, 11:27 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evaunit1
I think if I ever parted with the IS, it would be for an STi. When going for a new car the choice was either the STi or the IS250. I'm happy with my choice of course but theres always that side of me that comes out when I see a White STi pull up next to me or drive me.
Speaking of STI, leaving Tampa last month driving back to Orlando from a graduation a blue STi with Titan Motorsports on the back window flew past me must have been doing 120 easy. Hit the breaks for me to get beside him, and all I though was...I think I can take him in the low gears but once that turbo kicks on it's over...Then I flipped something that said ARM and let's just say I smiled..

Quick Reply: So for you...what's next?