IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 09:55 AM
Tedstah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight issues

What's up everyone! Got a 07 is350. Just started having headlight issues. My passenger headlight would randomly shut off while driving. Had to switch it off and on to get it back on. But, now it would just be off.

First, I thought my stock ballast went out. But I switch the driverside bulb to the passengerside and the light would stay on. So I know its not the ballast for sure.
Secondly, I got new bulbs (D4S) from dude from craigslist. I thought it would fix the problem but same thing it would turn on for a couple of seconds and shut off. I even switched out the both bulbs and both bulbs would shut off. Now I'm thinking this dude gave me some bad bulbs!! Should I get an OEM Bulb from the dealership?
Lastly, some of my co workers said that it might be my headlight relay? Is there a way to test that? I look at the fuse and everything seems to be fine.

I completely don't know what it could be? I need some advice asap? Should I get the OEM bulb or go straight aftermarket hids? Don't want to get a fix ticket! Gotten away a couple times already!! Lol!!

~Tedstah
07 lexus is350
Old 03-15-12, 12:18 PM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tedstah
What's up everyone! Got a 07 is350. Just started having headlight issues. My passenger headlight would randomly shut off while driving. Had to switch it off and on to get it back on. But, now it would just be off.

First, I thought my stock ballast went out. But I switch the driverside bulb to the passengerside and the light would stay on. So I know its not the ballast for sure.
Secondly, I got new bulbs (D4S) from dude from craigslist. I thought it would fix the problem but same thing it would turn on for a couple of seconds and shut off. I even switched out the both bulbs and both bulbs would shut off. Now I'm thinking this dude gave me some bad bulbs!! Should I get an OEM Bulb from the dealership?
Lastly, some of my co workers said that it might be my headlight relay? Is there a way to test that? I look at the fuse and everything seems to be fine.

I completely don't know what it could be? I need some advice asap? Should I get the OEM bulb or go straight aftermarket hids? Don't want to get a fix ticket! Gotten away a couple times already!! Lol!!

~Tedstah
07 lexus is350
I have the same problem, going to try and change the bulb this week. I noticed that when my passenger light goes out, I can get it to come back on by quickly turing the headlights off and back on again. This makes me think its the bulb. I also notice my drivers headlight is much brighter than the pass, is this common on the IS line?
Old 03-15-12, 02:16 PM
Tedstah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpmMorrow
I have the same problem, going to try and change the bulb this week. I noticed that when my passenger light goes out, I can get it to come back on by quickly turing the headlights off and back on again. This makes me think its the bulb. I also notice my drivers headlight is much brighter than the pass, is
this common on the IS line?
I really don't know but I read on other forums with the same problem. Let me know of replacing the bulb work out for you I'll problem need to get the OEM bulbs. Cause aftermath isn't working for me.
Old 03-16-12, 01:09 PM
martyb511
Driver School Candidate

I also had this issue and took it to the dealership. They thought it was the bulbs and they replaced it twice only to determine that the whole headlight unit needed to be replaced. What I noticed in my case was this started happening when my lights stopped showing signs of being adaptive headlights.
Old 03-16-12, 02:13 PM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem on my 07 350. I bought new bulbs from DDM and that fixed the issue.
Old 08-19-12, 08:34 PM
jlee403
Driver

having the same problem with my drivers side headlight. drivers side is much dimmer than my pass side, which is making me think its the bulb, but i JUST replaced the bulb about 2 weeks ago. the light stays off mostly, but sometimes it flickers back on after i switch the lights on and off.