IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

/Camber Install\

Old 06-20-12, 06:17 PM
NafisC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question /Camber Install\

Alright guys, I have a few question that'd would be awesome if they were answered. At the moment, I'm installing both SPC front ball joints & Megan rear camber arms on my 350. But this is where I'm at an impass. My car has been out of comission for about two weeks now as I've been busy installing everything from a new hood, to PPE headers, to fog lights and blah blah blah in my garage. The last thing I need to take care of is installing the ball joints and camber arms.

Any idea how to install the SPC ball joints?
I've obviously taken of the wheel, and then removed the cotter key and nut, and broke the ball joint from the knuckle. But what's next? Removed the wire and the small dust boot, and partially took care of the snap ring. From there do I push the ball joint up and out? I got a ball joint press from my local Autozone but have no clue how to work it. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Megan Rear Camber Arm
Has someone done a DIY for this? Some threads have a couple pictures, but no real detail about HOW to install them, or even how to remove the stock ones. At that, how do you even adjust the Megan arms? I need more camber at the front and back for more slammage

Sorry for the novel of questions, but I'm looking forward to getting this done
Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone finds a thread with anymore info, by all means direct me to it, thanks.
Old 06-20-12, 06:22 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the rear done, pretty simple, there are 2 nuts thats pretty much it.
you going to need to go get an alignment once theyre installed.
Old 06-20-12, 06:25 PM
NafisC
Rookie

Originally Posted by MyIS350G
I got the rear done, pretty simple, there are 2 nuts thats pretty much it.
you going to need to go get an alignment once theyre installed.
Which I plan on doing, but how do I get the arms to induce more camber than what is already natural?
Old 06-20-12, 06:36 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

The alignment shop can do that for you while the car is on the rack. You can tell them how much camber you want
Old 06-20-12, 06:46 PM
NafisC
Rookie

Originally Posted by MyIS350G
The alignment shop can do that for you while the car is on the rack. You can tell them how much camber you want
Ok, that's good news. So you said there are only two nuts or bolts holding in the stock arms? Are they hard to get to at all? I haven't seen my suspension geometry in a while so I don't remember where every single arm is.
Old 06-20-12, 07:21 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Pretty easy, u'll see them once you take the wheels off
Old 06-21-12, 06:39 AM
NafisC
Rookie

Thanks MyIS350G,appreciate it. Any more info on this stuff guys? For the SPC ball joint install, do I need to take out the UCA to get the OEM ball joint out and be able to put the adjustabe ones in?
Old 06-21-12, 07:56 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NafisC
Thanks MyIS350G,appreciate it. Any more info on this stuff guys? For the SPC ball joint install, do I need to take out the UCA to get the OEM ball joint out and be able to put the adjustabe ones in?
Yes you need to take the UCA off the car. Once you do that take off the ring off the dust boot at the base and take the dust boot off. Once you do that you'll see the snap ring you need to remove to let the ball joint press out. You can then use the ball joint press tool you got or do like I did. I used a socket the kit over the ball joint shaft. Then place the UCA arm over two pieces of wood so the bottom flat part of the ball joint is in the air and then hit the socket at couple of times with a hammer and it will pop right out.

One other thing when I did mine SPC did not over an ISX50 specific part so I had to grind the lip of the UCA so the slide mechanism of the ball joint could be adjusted.
Old 06-21-12, 12:19 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

^SPC did mention in my instructions if you are going to be inducing postive camber that to be able to max it out you will need to grind a lip on the arm. I have yet to do it, but I'd assume it's not much material to remove.

And a tip...use some blue Locktite on the top threaded portion of the ball joint in order to keep that top nut locked down tight.

GL!