IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2012 Headlamp Has Bubbling Defect Too

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 08:47 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

^^^
that sucks. I've had mine for a month now. Nothing yet thank god.
Old 08-21-12, 09:24 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
did you get a email back from lexus yet? I'm surprised there hasnt been a recall yet. Or is there ?
I posted this a while back.

I'll re-attach again, which is the TSB for it (For US cars).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0005-12.pdf (889.2 KB, 524 views)
Old 08-21-12, 09:37 AM
ChuckIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I couldnt find it either.
Old 08-21-12, 05:27 PM
BakerFX4
Rookie

I just received mine in the mail from Sewell and installed them. Dont see any bubbling but driver headlight has something wrong with it. My passenger headlight works fine. The driver side headlight will not come on. LED's do and parking light does but the headlight itself will not. We changed bulbs and both bulbs were good. Plugged up headlights on opposite side and same thing.... Waiting on return phone call in AM to get this squared away. Didnt sound like it will be a problem. More so an inconvenience.
Old 08-21-12, 06:50 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChuckIS350
Had mine 2 weeks and this is what it looks like.
Your car must have been sitting on the lot a very long time because the 2012 headlights were changed over six months ago. The newer lights have a glossy finish at the bottom of the lights. You have a matte finish, which is the older design.

That being said, the glossy finish has the bubbling issue, too.
Old 08-21-12, 06:54 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sango
I posted this a while back.

I'll re-attach again, which is the TSB for it (For US cars).
The TSB only applies to the older headlamp design with the matte finish. However, the new TSB lights (with glossy finish and eyebrows) that replace the defective lights are also defective. They have the same bubbling problem the older lights have. The TSB lights did not fix the problem.

Lexus told me about two weeks ago they know the TSB lights are defective and engineers are working on a new fix. But they have not yet come up with a new design and a second TSB. So for now, the problem still exists and there is no solution.
Old 08-21-12, 09:45 PM
Traxxer
Rookie

Does the bubbling have to do with the heat from the headlight or the heat from the sun when having the car parked outside? I also bought my headlights from sewell about 4 months ago... I'll check my lights out tomorrow morning and let you guys know the results.
Old 08-21-12, 09:51 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Traxxer
Does the bubbling have to do with the heat from the headlight or the heat from the sun when having the car parked outside? I also bought my headlights from sewell about 4 months ago... I'll check my lights out tomorrow morning and let you guys know the results.
I dont think anyone has found the answer for what causes the bubbling. From what I notice though those members that have been affected lives in states with warmer climate.
Old 08-21-12, 10:27 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

meh, I guess I won't go for the Sewell Lexus headlights until the new TSB ones come out. Hopefully they go on sale again later, otherwise I'll just stick with halogen -- less problem with it too :/
Old 08-21-12, 11:40 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
The TSB only applies to the older headlamp design with the matte finish. However, the new TSB lights (with glossy finish and eyebrows) that replace the defective lights are also defective. They have the same bubbling problem the older lights have. The TSB lights did not fix the problem.

Lexus told me about two weeks ago they know the TSB lights are defective and engineers are working on a new fix. But they have not yet come up with a new design and a second TSB. So for now, the problem still exists and there is no solution.
Yes correct. Most likely what they can only do is replace it again and hope that the replacement one again doesn't happen again for the time being.

So far, my lights does not have an issue since the original ones had bubbling issue.
Old 08-21-12, 11:59 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All this talk with the bubbling issue is making me want to inspect mine... thanks for the heads up guys!
Old 08-22-12, 06:41 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Traxxer
Does the bubbling have to do with the heat from the headlight or the heat from the sun when having the car parked outside?
My thought is that it has to do with the car being outside and the way the sun reflects off the chrome ring around the headlight bulb. I say this because nearly all the new cars in my dealer's lot have the bubbling. They clearly did not have their headlights on for any extended period of time, if at all.

Plus, it would seem Lexus thinks this, too, as the eyebrows were intended to divert the sun's rays. Of course, this obviously didn't work.

Also, this is in the Chicago area where it is not always a warm climate. The cars in the lot had the bubbling last winter, too.
Old 08-30-12, 09:36 AM
IamNate
Driver

So its official, my driver side 2012 TSB lights now have a bubble. guess its time for me to contact Lexus about this issue...
Old 08-30-12, 10:25 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Goin on month 2 and no bubbles
Old 08-30-12, 10:39 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Goin on month 2 and no bubbles
Lucky for you, if it is related to climate and being hot/sunny, you may never experience it since you dont drive often and you actually have winter up there. I havent ever checked mine, mainly because it will bug the hell out of me if i notice it haha.

Quick Reply: 2012 Headlamp Has Bubbling Defect Too