IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got 2 tickets for my tints :[

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 07:10 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Got 2 tickets for my tints :[

So I got pulled over about a month and a half ago for my window tints. I have 5% all around and nothing on the windshield. I had them for about 5 months and have never been bothered other than this one time Ive driven next to cops and troopers many times and have never had a problem. Once I even drove next to a trooper on the highway for a good 15 minutes and he didnt do anything.

So I was driving home from school and I get pulled over by a state trooper. I end up getting a non moving violation for my tints. I get mad but realize I willingly put 5% tints on so I mail the check. Yesterday I get a letter in the mail saying that my license will be suspended if I dont pay the ticket. I was confused so I called and found out that the cop gave me 2 DIFFERENT TICKETS . One for my back window and another for my side winows. My buddy got pulled over as well for his 8% tints and only got one ticket. So Im debating whether or not to keep my 5% or get different tints.

Just as a reference, in FL the legal limit is 28% in the front and 18% in the back but you can get away with 15% or 18% all around no problem. What do you guys suggest that I do? I appreciate any feedback
Old 06-07-12, 07:42 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I suggest you pay your valid fine and replace your tint with the legal variety.

Not sure what else you'd expect someone to suggest other than fleeing the state.
Old 06-07-12, 07:43 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd keep the tint.
Old 06-07-12, 07:45 AM
kingz415
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there anyway you can fight it off? or just pay for a fix it ticket? how much is the fine anyway over there
Old 06-07-12, 07:52 AM
prtrip4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had 5% on my other IS with no problems, i did get stopped once but no ticket. I had my dr give me a prescription for dark tint and a fat eye brow. no seriously so now i can get the car inspected with no problems
Old 06-07-12, 07:53 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My advise, stay just blow the rulling.if you can get away with 15 all around, i recommend it. Thats better than CA - no driver / passenger tinting.

I used to have 5% all the way around. Then I got a ticket and did 25% up front. I had that for years and one day a cop pulls me over for supposedly cutting him off, I told him he wasn't where he said he was and that I was very aware of his location. He said "you must not have seen me with all this illegal tint" and wrote me up. Since then, I've hated the lightness of my tint but I can tell you one thing, I NEVER worry about cops now.
Old 06-07-12, 08:11 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

they have the no tint up here in NH. But I still have it, and run no front plate

I still have mine, but I still have my ohio license

havent been pulled over
Old 06-07-12, 08:17 AM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the darkest legal tint myself. 28% in the front and 15% in the back. IMO, 15% is plenty dark, so I would suggest getting 15% all around (high quality carbon tint).

Were you driving when this happened? I wonder if this happened when you installed your Invidia midpipe with the f-sport exhaust. I wonder how much unwanted attention you will get now since you have one of the loudest combos.
Old 06-07-12, 08:19 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I suggest you pay your valid fine and replace your tint with the legal variety.

Not sure what else you'd expect someone to suggest other than fleeing the state.
I already paid it but was wanted to see if it was worth the risk of keeping the tints or getting them done lighter. Still debating

Originally Posted by kingz415
is there anyway you can fight it off? or just pay for a fix it ticket? how much is the fine anyway over there
Nope, it was a non moving violation so I cant do anything as far as I know. Well I got a $115 ticket for my back AND side windows. so $230 in total. My friend only got 1 ticket so I know this trooper was an a-hole

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
My advise, stay just blow the rulling.if you can get away with 15 all around, i recommend it. Thats better than CA - no driver / passenger tinting.

I used to have 5% all the way around. Then I got a ticket and did 25% up front. I had that for years and one day a cop pulls me over for supposedly cutting him off, I told him he wasn't where he said he was and that I was very aware of his location. He said "you must not have seen me with all this illegal tint" and wrote me up. Since then, I've hated the lightness of my tint but I can tell you one thing, I NEVER worry about cops now.
Yeah Im either going to keep my 5% or do 15% all around. I love my current tints, but I dont want to pay at least another $100 if I get stopped for them again, and also pay to re tint them afterwards. I might just retint it now to avoid future "violations". Still not sure....
Old 06-07-12, 08:23 AM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

I have a great guy named Ivan Soto that has a Mercedes van that will come right to your house and tint your car. He did my sisters and did a beautiful job. If you would like his number hit me up.
Old 06-07-12, 08:30 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mjh09e
I have the darkest legal tint myself. 28% in the front and 15% in the back. IMO, 15% is plenty dark, so I would suggest getting 15% all around (high quality carbon tint).

Were you driving when this happened? I wonder if this happened when you installed your Invidia midpipe with the f-sport exhaust. I wonder how much unwanted attention you will get now since you have one of the loudest combos.
I originally had 28% in the front and 18% in the back (The trooper told me that was the legal limit) but didnt like the transition from lighter to darker. I like it to be the same all around so I got 5% for looks and privacy.

I was on 75 going North almost at the Grfffin Rd exit (was about to get off the highway ). I was going 60 in the slow lane so I wasnt making noise lol. im guessing the trooper had more time to look at my tints since I was going slower than other cars
Old 06-07-12, 08:32 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mjh09e
I have a great guy named Ivan Soto that has a Mercedes van that will come right to your house and tint your car. He did my sisters and did a beautiful job. If you would like his number hit me up.
Can you PM me his info? Does he offer a lifetime warranty? Im going to call a few places and see what they are charging for 15% tint.
Old 06-07-12, 08:44 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

its tint, not tints....

just an annoyance....
Old 06-07-12, 08:51 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
its tint, not tints....

just an annoyance....
Oh I didnt even notice lol. Can you please correct the title of the thread?
Old 06-07-12, 08:54 AM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

^^So change the title lol.

Quick Reply: Got 2 tickets for my tints :[