IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Luxury vs IS350 Sport.. NOT Packages.. Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-12, 07:24 PM
BrooklynNY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Luxury vs IS350 Sport.. NOT Packages.. Drive

I try to keep my thread count low as this forum has lots of great information..

this summer, I'll be looking to buy an IS350.. I really would like a white 2006-2008 IS350 Sport.. low miles.. for around ~$25k

now with all those preferences, it seems I would have to travel to the ends of the earth to find it...

I was thinking I guess I could always do a trim wrap/swap because i honestly think the redish wood trim is gross... i fully understand the features of the packages differences... BUT how different is the drive between the IS350 Sport and the IS350 with the luxury package. If it really is great, I will buckle down and search EVERYWHERE for the car I want...

I really want the Lexus because of the reliability, style, and how many options come on the car with a simple package opposed to BMW .. but a 335i might be in my future if I cannot find what I like..

Last edited by BrooklynNY; 06-03-12 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-03-12, 07:42 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The Sport Package and Lux package are identical but for:

Lux has woodgrain, illuminated scuff plates, and rear sunshade that sport package doesn't.

Sport has aluminum trim, aluminum scuff plates, and the sport pedals and sport suspension.

The trim can be swapped either way (though it's not especially cheap unless you find an owner of the opposite package willing to do it)

The pedals can be swapped moderately easily as well.

The sport suspension lowers the car 0.4 inches in the front, and is firmer all around- it's also linear (better IMHO) unlike the F-sport aftermarket parts

If you want to go with a Lux package car and swap trim you could also swap the shocks and springs to those from the Sport package- or you could go with coilovers where you can customize the height and spring rates to exactly what you want.

Personally I like the factory sport suspension quite a bit and, with addition of F-sport sway bars and good tires, have found no need to improve handling further since I don't track the car.
Old 06-04-12, 12:43 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option. Since you wait till this late, why don't you wait a little longer and save some more for the upcoming 3rd gen IS? Should be more exiting of a car that 2IS. 2IS looks and design is getting old already. But this is just my humble opinion.
Old 06-04-12, 12:57 AM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just posted about a 2008 Lux with all of the F-Sport goodies. I mean ALL. Car had 59k miles on it and is located in North Carolia. Search eBay for "f-sport is"
Old 06-04-12, 12:59 AM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a mobile link: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=44509826208

Here is the real link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...ht_4658wt_1167

Last edited by mjh09e; 06-04-12 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-04-12, 06:24 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Incredibly misleading ad.

There's no such thing as an "F-sport package" on a 2008 for one.

For another the parts it DOES claim to have (the F-sport aftermarket ones) aren't at all the same as what comes in the F-sport "package" that does exist on 2011+ models.

And for a third he makes the common mistake of claiming it's "loaded" while missing quite a few obvious options (ML and PCS for example).

Oh, and lastly- it's not a Luxury package car at all. No memory seats, no rear sunshade.

That's a pretty low-optioned car actually (just premium and nav) that had a bunch of F-sport aftermarket parts added is all it is.
Old 06-04-12, 07:53 AM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Do you really need anything other than premium and nav? The 2011 "F-Sport" model that I have only comes with Premium and nav. I may have been wrong about the Lux part (thought it was because it has the wood trim), but still a nice ride with all the real credentials to be called a sport package since it does have all the dealer installed F-Sport parts.
Old 06-04-12, 08:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjh09e
Do you really need anything other than premium and nav? The 2011 "F-Sport" model that I have only comes with Premium and nav. I may have been wrong about the Lux part (thought it was because it has the wood trim), but still a nice ride with all the real credentials to be called a sport package since it does have all the dealer installed F-Sport parts.
That's... pretty much all completely wrong.

If your 2011 has the F-sport package it has quite a number of items that go beyond premium and nav (none of which are on the car in that ad by the way).- the sport (NOT F-sport) suspension for example, or the seats (which on your car aren't ventilated, but are on a prem. package car)

There's also half a dozen excellent features the 'real' 06-10 sport package as well as the 06-12 luxury package include that the "Fsport" package does not (memory seats, auto dim/tilt side mirrors, rain sensing wipers, power tilt/tele wheel, etc)

Further, nothing in the F-sport factory package is on the car in that ad... the factory F-sport package does not contain any F-sport accesories and the suspension is completely different... .and HIDs would have come in a real sport package 2008 car as standard, but aren't part of the nav or premium packages.

So to sum up- the car in that ad is not even vaguely the same as a "real" 2011+ F-sport car, and even less like a "real" sport package or Lux package car.

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-04-12 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-04-12, 09:04 AM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

I believe you misunderstood what I was saying. Obviously you are extremely knowledgeable on the subject and know what you are talking about, but I said that my car ONLY has nav and is perfectly fine. All the other options are nice, but completely unnecessary IMO. Having said that, the base car in the eBay ad does in fact have all the f-sport parts that most of us add to our cars. Furthermore, the car is the ad is more of an F-Sport than my car BECAUSE it has all of the F-Sport parts on it, unlike my 2011 F-Sport that only comes with a fender badge, grey wheels, F style grille, rear spoiler, and bucket seats. Performance wise, the 2008 BASE model with all the parts is better. That is all I was trying to say.
Old 06-04-12, 09:13 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjh09e
I believe you misunderstood what I was saying. Obviously you are extremely knowledgeable on the subject and know what you are talking about, but I said that my car ONLY has nav and is perfectly fine. All the other options are nice, but completely unnecessary IMO. Having said that, the base car in the eBay ad does in fact have all the f-sport parts that most of us add to our cars. Furthermore, the car is the ad is more of an F-Sport than my car BECAUSE it has all of the F-Sport parts on it, unlike my 2011 F-Sport that only comes with a fender badge, grey wheels, F style grille, rear spoiler, and bucket seats. Performance wise, the 2008 BASE model with all the parts is better. That is all I was trying to say.

But the OP obviously wants all those extra features you are fine without... that's why he's looking for a sport or lux car to begin with. Hence the car in the ad would be terrible for his needs.

Further, again, your 2011 F-sport car comes with the factory sport suspension... this is not the same as the F-sport aftermarket suspension which is on the car in the ad. The one on your car is better (shocks and springs anyway).

In my opinion the brakes on your car are better too since they don't have holes drilled in the rotors, which reduce service life and don't stop the car any shorter.

F-sport accessories != Factory F-sport package != Factory Sport Package

they're 3 different things having almost no shared package parts between them (other than the shocks and springs between the second two only)

The car in the ad only has the first one, which is the worst of the 3 in in opinion, and lacks quite a lot of the features the OP seems to be looking for if he's considering sport and lux models.
Old 06-04-12, 03:45 PM
BrooklynNY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
But the OP obviously wants all those extra features you are fine without... that's why he's looking for a sport or lux car to begin with. Hence the car in the ad would be terrible for his needs.
thank you. As you originally posted, you do appreciate the overall firmness of the car with he sports package and the stock sport suspension which is what I really would like.. So i guess I will have to stick it out and continue my search come July...

v v v v let this one go this winter, unfortunately was not able to get it at that time... literally EXACTLY what i wanted down to a t.. low mileage, low price, clean carfax.. white sport

Last edited by BrooklynNY; 06-04-12 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 05:16 PM
01ES300NYC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck brooklyn... wait till u find the one u want....
stay away from the beemer too