Print Wikipost

IS250 Engine misfire-explained

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-14, 03:11 PM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
Its not a total solution but it helps a ton. I installed one on my sisters car after I cleaned the top of her valves myself and installed the catch can system. after that she has not experienced any issues and my dad drains the can at every oil change and it picked up a lot of oil that would otherwise be ingested back into the intake manifold.
Yea I will wait till after winter to install mine. Use it for spring till beginning of winter. I read horror stories about can and lines freezing up even when it was drained...
Old 09-05-14, 12:31 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr05
i had my piston and rings replaced last year but took a lot of work between calling corp office to only have them tell me nothing can be done but after speaking to them several times and stating im not making this up they said they were able to "take photo's and saw there was a bunch of build up" only problem i have is what do i do when this comes back and nothing is covered.......

great question as this has came back on my car
Old 09-05-14, 02:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Just an update and FYI for others: It's been 3.5 months since I had the pistons/engine done per warranty. So far I have not had one near-stalling episode while at a stop. Just a continual slight rough idle just before I come to a stop. I will accept this as..... acceptable.
Old 09-07-14, 05:13 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Did Lexus clean the heads too or just the bottom end? Carbon build-up also heavily effects the valves over time.
Old 09-07-14, 11:06 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Did Lexus clean the heads too or just the bottom end? Carbon build-up also heavily effects the valves over time.
No idea. Whatever the Lexus warranty TSB work was, that is what was approved and done. Did have my engine apart and a loaner for two weeks.
Old 09-13-14, 06:20 PM
got556
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's say I bought an '07 IS250 AWD from a non Lexus dealer. Is this still covered under that 9 year unlimited mileage deal or do you have to have a CPO or Warranty through Lexus? Car is currently at 74,3XX miles and just experienced a stumble/rough idle at a stop light tonight.
Old 09-13-14, 07:59 PM
liqB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my car used w/ 69k (have about 96k now). Never took it into lexus for anything till a yesterday for a couple recalls (no warranty). My SA said he's been getting a lot of is250's coming in with the issue and would run the diganoistic for free. They recorded some misfires while they tested for the tsib. Anyway waiting to see if Corp will approve it tomorrow.
Old 09-13-14, 08:25 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by got556
Let's say I bought an '07 IS250 AWD from a non Lexus dealer. Is this still covered under that 9 year unlimited mileage deal or do you have to have a CPO or Warranty through Lexus? Car is currently at 74,3XX miles and just experienced a stumble/rough idle at a stop light tonight.
It doesnt matter where you bought the car. It will be cover if it's diagnostic with the carbon build up.
Old 09-13-14, 08:28 PM
got556
Rookie

Thank you.
Old 01-26-16, 09:02 PM
dbutz1109
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by solotex55
Hi guys and gals, I am a Lexus Senior Certified tech at a large Lexus dealership. In reading some of the posts here, I see alot of confusion about this subject. You seem to know about carbon build-up, but not the how or why and most important...the fix or prevention.
First, how and why...the misfire is caused when carbon that has built-up on the intake valve flakes off and becomes stuck between the valve and the seat causing loss of compression. This can last from a few seconds to minutes. It does not damage the engine, but can set a Check Engine light if it lasts long enough. The carbon is caused by crankcase blow-by...oil getting in the intake system. With a Direct Injection engine there is no fuel flow over the valve to clean it. The fix is to reduce blow-by...after you clean-up the valves. Lexus has another TSIB out for this. I believe it is L-SB-0048-11. It involes replacing ALL the pistons and rings,also cleaning the valves and replacing the valve stem seals. I personally have done 4 of these. It is most common around 60k miles, but have seen it as low as 29k. It is fully covered under 6/70 powertrain warranty. Now about prevention....I don't know of any. Why do some cars do it at 30k and others have 100k w/o a problem??? Synthetic oil may help, but not enough data to be sure. Good, clean oil can't hurt. The 350 and V-8 models do not have this problem. If you have any questions I will try to answer them as best I can.
Solotex, any chance this thread could become active again? I had this issue, Lexus covered new pistons and rings, but a mere 15,000 miles later and it has occurred again. I really don't trust the car or the dealer anymore.
Old 06-25-18, 05:02 AM
noblesenga
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys and gals, I am a Lexus Senior Certified tech at a large Lexus dealership. In reading some of the posts here, I see alot of confusion about this subject. You seem to know about carbon build-up, but not the how or why and most important...the fix or prevention.
First, how and why...the misfire is caused when carbon that has built-up on the intake valve flakes off and becomes stuck between the valve and the seat causing loss of compression. This can last from a few seconds to minutes. It does not damage the engine, but can set a Check Engine light if it lasts long enough. The carbon is caused by crankcase blow-by...oil getting in the intake system. With a Direct Injection engine there is no fuel flow over the valve to clean it. The fix is to reduce blow-by...after you clean-up the valves. Lexus has another TSIB out for this. I believe it is L-SB-0048-11. It involes replacing ALL the pistons and rings,also cleaning the valves and replacing the valve stem seals. I personally have done 4 of these. It is most common around 60k miles, but have seen it as low as 29k. It is fully covered under 6/70 powertrain warranty. Now about prevention....I don't know of any. Why do some cars do it at 30k and others have 100k w/o a problem??? Synthetic oil may help, but not enough data to be sure. Good, clean oil can't hurt. The 350 and V-8 models do not have this problem. If you have any questions I will try to answer them as best I can.

hey I’ve been having some problems with my IS250. Could you please check my thread and suggest something? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10232339
Old 06-25-18, 08:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

I've had the rough idle twice now since having the recall done. It's not as harsh as before, and I don't see the tach moving down at all. It's just a rougher idle for a short period while stopped. I will bring it up to the dealer again. Doesn't bother me if it only happens once in a long while and the car does not actually stall.
Old 06-21-19, 05:18 AM
Jasmine09
Driver School Candidate

So how did this work out for you? Just wondering
Old 01-22-22, 07:00 PM
Tony64
Driver School Candidate

Default Misfire cyl 2 & 4

hello, i have a 2006 lexus is250, to make the story short, i have a cylinders 2 & 4 misfire, at 1st i replace a spark plugs and coils, same code problem not fixed, took it to lexus, they sated possible cylinder head and other guy said possible bad ECM, i eden up replacing the ecm and yes i reprogram the ecm to the engine, problem not solve, so i ended up buying an engine, did an engine swap with ecm and engine harness, still problem not solve, need help