IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC - Gas Cap and Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 10:06 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check VSC - Gas Cap and Battery Question

I took my car, '08 IS 350, into the dealership last week for an oil change (getting gouged so I can have it on my service history record when I sell it), and after I got my car back, they told me my battery failed their testing and that I should consider getting a new one. Yesterday, I was low on gas so I bought gas. Maybe an hour ago, the dashboard display showed "Check VSC," a red traingle, the left side CEL (check engine light), and right side traction control/VSC light. I used the search function on this forum, and it looks like this may be due to my gas cap so I retighted it and made sure there was a click. I also called the dealership and they are saying they can look at it, but it'll take at least 3 hours which I just can't do with a 10 month old I need to drive around and her carseat. My question is:
- If it is the gas cap, how long does it take for the VSC light to go away? The dealership service department said up to a week. I've also read that I could reset this by disconnecting my battery (negative terminal with 10mm wrench) for 10 minutes, but I'd prefer it go away by itself if possible, if it will go away by itself.
- Can someone reccomend me a battery for an elecitrically stock car (e.g., no amps, no ML stereo, no projectors, I do have the navigation though) ? The search function seems to show Optima Red/Yellow tops, Duralast Gold, or the OEM which is from Interstate. I honestly don't know much about batteries but is the Optima over the top for normal Southern California weather and normal use, especially at $200 for a battery and my usage? The dealer wants a bit over $200 installed for the Interstate (that says Lexus), comes with an 84 month warranty but is only 100% good for the first 2 years (prorated after that). Does anyone think it's worth it since most batteries last 5ish years?
Old 05-25-12, 12:05 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I would think that a few minutes after tightening the gas cap the car would realize it and the CEL / VSC lights would go away. But I have yet to experience this myself. If that doesn't help, try disconnecting the negative cable from the battery for 10 minutes to see if that resets it. Keep in mind that after disconnecting the battery you will lose some personal setting and the express window function. If the dealership suggested a new battery, it doesn't necessarily mean your battery is "bad". I would first check the electrolight levels in the various "cells" of the battery. Top of with distrilled water to the point where the plasitc portion of the battery starts. Try a second opinion on the battery too. But I would suggest the Toyota OE-equilvalent replacement battery. I believe it saves you $50 or so.
Old 05-25-12, 02:39 PM
Reyes1
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue the other Day after fueling up ('07 IS350), on my way to Work. Left the gas station and 2-3 Miles down the Road the "Check VSC," Ted Traingle, and CEL lit up. I pulled over, took the cap off, retightened it and got back on the road. It was still on when I got to work, I left later that afternoon and 2-3 Miles after leaving work, the Lights all went away. Try reseating and tightening the cap, hope that resolves your issue.
Old 05-25-12, 08:42 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I would think that a few minutes after tightening the gas cap the car would realize it and the CEL / VSC lights would go away.
No, the car will only realize that the cap is tight the next time it runs the evaporative emissions diagnostic test. (which is one of the federally mandated OBD2 tests) This probably won't happen until the next drive cycle.
Old 05-28-12, 05:56 AM
Figurs
Driver School Candidate

My guess is it need to be plugged in to their computer...does VSC not stand for Vehicle Stability Control...i might be totally wrong but my friends mom had that light on her highlander ...a cel light for a gas cap would turn itself off and the code would read " evap emmisions sensor"
Old 05-28-12, 06:16 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

From what you have described the CEL can be caused by a myriad of things. Your car needs to be plugged into an OBD scanner tool. Doesn't sound like you have one, but some auto stores do. Once that's done, you can read the code, and diagnose the problem and go from there.

Lou
Old 05-28-12, 08:26 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I had exact problem, took to the dealer and they replaced

the gas cap under warranty and the problem was solved. Dude, I would recommend Walmart batteries with no problem. I used them in my 300zx and Camry w/o problems.