IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Plastic parts melting in the sun???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 04:13 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Plastic parts melting in the sun???

I could not believe I was seeing this happen in front of my own eyes!

I was leaving work on Friday afternoon, and my car was in the parking lot since morning (i did not leave to lunch or anything). The temperature was in the low 80's....and as I opened my car door and sat in, I noticed it was hot (as hot as other hot days would've been). I went to press the start engine button, and when the engine came on, I looked to the right of the shifter, and the right-hand console garnish (the silver painted piece) was literally bubbling in front of my very own eyes! It was like the piece was in an oven or something. I have had my car in 90+ degree weather before, and this has never happened, I wonder why this time?

Have any of you experienced this? Could this be a possible recall on these pieces?

Old 05-20-12, 04:26 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

I have never seen that happen before.

Did you buy the car new or pre-owned? Just wondering if maybe it was scratched and it's been refinished.

Jeff
Old 05-20-12, 04:33 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

no, this was definitely not repainted. I compared it to the left-hand side garnish, and it looks identical. I ended up purchasing a replacement and it was identical to this piece....this is odd, and really starting to worry me.
Old 05-20-12, 04:37 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never heard of that, might just be a defective finish on that piece.

I haven't seen a TSIB to address anything like this before, and they are definitely not going to recall that piece.
Seems like an isolated issue...?
Old 05-20-12, 04:46 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Definitely something like Armor-All, etc, applied and eaten away at the coating. I live where it averages 120F in the shade in the summer, and never had any issues. FYI, parked outside, I've measured temps as high as 156F on interior parts and never experienced any issues. I only ever clean interior with damp (read water) cloth.

Last edited by TimboIS; 05-20-12 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-20-12, 05:16 PM
Ktran1039
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue. I bought the car pre-owned and it was already there, so i dont know exactly how the 'melting' originated.
I haven't seen any other complaints about it so i just thought the original owner was an idiot.
But mine looks exactly like yours. Looks odd, but i've gotten use to it.
(Driver Side)

Old 05-20-12, 05:49 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have many ISs with melted dashboards, melted plastic windshield frames and now melted garnish pieces.

What's next??
Old 05-20-12, 06:06 PM
ZeroSeVen
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's quite interesting to see this. I need to keep a close eye on my interior especially the weeklong temperatures of more than a 100 degrees in Bakersfield is just right around the corner.

I would imagine that our fellow members from TX and AZ would have noticed this first since they have warmer climates.
Old 05-20-12, 06:30 PM
MNIVET
Driver School Candidate

How do you pull this piece off the car?
Flat head screw driver and patience?
Did you break the clips while trying to remove it?\
Old 05-20-12, 06:37 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ktran1039
I have the same issue. I bought the car pre-owned and it was already there, so i dont know exactly how the 'melting' originated.
I haven't seen any other complaints about it so i just thought the original owner was an idiot.
But mine looks exactly like yours. Looks odd, but i've gotten use to it.
(Driver Side)

Wow....interesting. I think there are many more folks out there with this issue that probably have either A) got it replaced under warranty or B) ignored it. I for one cannot stand anything out of the norm in the interior of my car. This drove me nuts and pushed me to order a new piece over the weekend. I think Lexus needs to come clean on this and replace it with better quality pieces. Seeing this makes me lean more towards another luxury brand of cars as a future purchase.
Old 05-20-12, 06:40 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MNIVET
How do you pull this piece off the car?
Flat head screw driver and patience?
Did you break the clips while trying to remove it?\
It pops right out! Use your finger nails to get between the thin part closest to the armrest compartment, then firmly pull up-and-towards you. It should come right out....its on easy snap in clips. Good luck.
Old 05-20-12, 06:48 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ZeroSeVen
It's quite interesting to see this. I need to keep a close eye on my interior especially the weeklong temperatures of more than a 100 degrees in Bakersfield is just right around the corner.

I would imagine that our fellow members from TX and AZ would have noticed this first since they have warmer climates.
This isn't good... I'm repping both TX and AZ... I might be next haha...

Better order a few dozen of these parts and have them on hand with my next Sewell order...

Sorry to hear man I'm quite amazed 80 degree weather would cause those results on the plastic..
Old 05-20-12, 07:14 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

The best part about this, is when it actually is bubbling....it seriously looks like a worm is crawling underneath the paint....then when cooler air hits it, it flattens out and retracts to the shape in the pics above. Unreal...
Old 05-20-12, 07:40 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
The best part about this, is when it actually is bubbling....it seriously looks like a worm is crawling underneath the paint....then when cooler air hits it, it flattens out and retracts to the shape in the pics above. Unreal...
I can't recall where I saw it, but I seem to recall a couple of years ago someone reported a similar situation but I think it was with paint. I don't think it was on this forum.

Turned out they tracked the problem down to a mirrored house window (this happened to be in Florida) reflecting the sun onto the car when it was parked in the carport and it was intense enough to melt the paint
Old 05-20-12, 07:45 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
I can't recall where I saw it, but I seem to recall a couple of years ago someone reported a similar situation but I think it was with paint. I don't think it was on this forum.

Turned out they tracked the problem down to a mirrored house window (this happened to be in Florida) reflecting the sun onto the car when it was parked in the carport and it was intense enough to melt the paint
I just googled it, here are some links

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...-toyota-prius/

and a 2nd one:

Quick Reply: Plastic parts melting in the sun???