Blue Tape???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 04:23 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by o7iS250
Clear bra=$250-$400 average, painters tape= $6 one roll....hmmmm
Painters tape looks stupid and cheap. It will stop small rocks but not anything like paint protection film will. Plus you can get a rock chip anytime you drive... not just on road trips. Paint protection film will also prevent headlight pitting (which you cant tape) and will prevent oxidation. So unless you want to tape your car all the time you might want to look into a clear bra.
Old 05-15-12, 05:10 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I drive to and from south Florida to Jacksonville about 8 times a year...I use the 3M painters tape...the clear bra is great but im gonna spend close to $700 for it to get done...(that's what our dealers charge down south) $6 a roll and spending time prepping my car for he trip is worth it....when I'm n the highway a lot of people flag me down to tell me how smart of an idea it is...so it kinda a personal preference and also some states don't have the nasty bugs that Florida have also so it might be a different case for others...
Old 05-15-12, 07:34 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
some states don't have the nasty bugs that Florida have also so it might be a different case for others...
I hear ya. I drive up and down I-95 between South FL and Orlando all the time. There is a lovebug season going on right now so your windshield gets plastered with white streaks and the acidic paint eating bodies get stuck to your bumper. I wax my car and wash it off ASAP so they don't etch the paint.

But the traffic is usually light enough that I can stay back enough from other cars and trucks to avoid rock chips.

I don't use blue tape or have a clear bra. Not that ****...
Old 05-15-12, 07:39 AM
santacruz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also plasti-dip the front end and peel it off when you are done...way easier than painters tape.
Old 05-15-12, 07:58 AM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by santacruz
You can also plasti-dip the front end and peel it off when you are done...way easier than painters tape.
lol?
Old 05-15-12, 08:26 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats actually harder than the tape....
Old 05-15-12, 01:54 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How would that be easier than painters tape? lol

Sure it might be easier to apply then tape, but trust me that stuff is coming off in pieces when you go to remove it, its not coming off as one big piece
Old 05-15-12, 02:00 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PTmobile
Painters tape looks stupid and cheap. It will stop small rocks but not anything like paint protection film will. Plus you can get a rock chip anytime you drive... not just on road trips. Paint protection film will also prevent headlight pitting (which you cant tape) and will prevent oxidation. So unless you want to tape your car all the time you might want to look into a clear bra.
It's a matter of opinion for everyone..

Anyways, taping up the car is fun
Especially if you have little kids or little nieces/nephews...they have a blast helping you out, it's like a game to them
Old 05-15-12, 03:18 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Whenever I see someone with a taped up front bumper I know they care about their car, and doesnt look cheap. Just my opinion.....
Old 05-15-12, 03:34 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

I don't like clearbras as it does in fact yellow overtime. Not to mention many clearbras distort the color of your paint kind of like some screen protectors and most importantly of all, sometimes the installers don't clean the car enough and trap dust and gunk under it. And I definitely don't like the "line" that's there where the clearbra stops.

And as bob would say, I know someone's looking out for their car when i see the tape. when I see clearbra, I usually think "dealer installed option". ;p
Old 05-15-12, 06:35 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Originally Posted by kuuqi
I don't like clearbras as it does in fact yellow overtime. Not to mention many clearbras distort the color of your paint kind of like some screen protectors and most importantly of all, sometimes the installers don't clean the car enough and trap dust and gunk under it. And I definitely don't like the "line" that's there where the clearbra stops.

And as bob would say, I know someone's looking out for their car when i see the tape. when I see clearbra, I usually think "dealer installed option". ;p
Well obviously you have not seen a good clear bra install. If you go with a good film it will not yellow. Also it does not distort the color or the reflection of the car. Its perfectly clear and smooth... and if anything looks like an extra layer of clear coat on the vehicle. A properly installed clear bra will have wrapped edges... and if you dont like the line get the full hood and full fenders done. Sure it cost more but a Lexus is not a Honda (no offense to Honda owners). Its Lexus. To go cheap and tape your car up everytime your on the highway is pretty bad plus you are just as likely to get damage from normal day to day driving. But to each his own. Enjoy taping the car everytime you road trip... and knowing tape will not stop a rock... only small particles of sand and bugs.
Old 05-15-12, 06:41 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

I think OP got his answer, no point in arguing back and forth about blue tape vs. clear bra....
Old 05-15-12, 07:09 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I love me some blue painters tape.
Old 05-15-12, 07:45 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

painters tape is a jackazz move..
Old 05-15-12, 07:51 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where can i get some of this awesome 3m painters tape? Is 3M a brand?

Quick Reply: Blue Tape???