IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 03:30 PM
amerquresh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Burning oil

When I went in for my last oil change a few months ago the mechanic told me there was almost no oil registering on the dip stick.

The yesterday while driving on the highway the 'low oil' indicator came on for a few seconds then went off. I pulled over and checked the oil, again there was barely any oil registering on the dip stick. I am not even due for my next oil change for another 1000km. I always get my oil changes done on time.

*My mechanic seems to think I may have a seized piston in the engine causing my car to burn more oil and suggested I go in for oil changes sooner. Any other ideas on what might be causing this?
Old 05-07-12, 04:03 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

go to another mechanic if he thinks you have a "seized piston". Do you have oil on the driveway under the car? if so, how much after how much time? Does the car smoke?(white smoke) when you accelerate?
Old 05-07-12, 05:48 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like it might be a pretty big problem. You definitely should not be burning off that much oil at all and more frequent oil changes shouldn't be the fix. Like lil4cyl said, are you noticing any leaks or possible smoke from the exhaust? And make sure you're not driving the car with no oil registering on the dipstick....you can cause some serious engine damage with low oil levels.
Old 05-07-12, 08:47 PM
e46
Rookie

This is a crazy, I was going to do a search because just tonight my low oil light came on and I was kind of shocked. Checked it out and hardly had any oil on the dipstick. Granted I'm due for an oil change, but there is no reason to be that low on oil. I've noticed no oil leaking so it must be burning.

Anyone have any experience with this? My car is an '06, 80,000 mlle, CPO and it has a great service record. At least I've got the warranty if it turns into a costly repair.
Old 05-07-12, 09:28 PM
amerquresh
Driver School Candidate

I've also got an '06 w/138,000km - not sure what that translates to in miles. Sounds like we're in the same boat.

No, I have never found any oil on the floor of my garage so the engine must be burning too much. Anyone w/ideas on what the problem could be? I always do my oil changes on time, every 8000km, I can't believe my engine could already be breaking down on me
Old 05-07-12, 09:44 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by amerquresh
I've also got an '06 w/138,000km - not sure what that translates to in miles. Sounds like we're in the same boat.

No, I have never found any oil on the floor of my garage so the engine must be burning too much. Anyone w/ideas on what the problem could be? I always do my oil changes on time, every 8000km, I can't believe my engine could already be breaking down on me
That's about 86,000 miles

You'll have to take it to a mechanic to find out the issue, it might be something simple, or it might be a problem with the piston rings...
Old 05-09-12, 06:09 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Since you have a 250 model, I'd say its the typical piston and piston ring failure. Check with your local Lexus dealer to get it fixed. GL!
Old 05-10-12, 04:22 PM
amerquresh
Driver School Candidate

Is this a widely known problem with the '06 IS250?

Is it costly to repair the piston & ring?
Old 05-10-12, 04:49 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

does it smoke when you start it? if so most likely its valve guides. if no smoke at start up and you still burn oil then piston rings would be the problem if you ask me. either way engine needs to be taken apart.
Old 05-11-12, 12:28 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gville350
Since you have a 250 model, I'd say its the typical piston and piston ring failure. Check with your local Lexus dealer to get it fixed. GL!
There is NOT a piston ring failure issue with the IS250.

It's a carbon build up issue that the design of the pistons allows for.
The new piston rings just slow the build up of carbon.
Old 05-11-12, 07:59 AM
DrO's LeX
Driver School Candidate

can we get a solid answer please, im worried as hell!! had the same warning a few weeks ago and ignored it because it went away, but got it again a few days back. When i went to check i was missing a QT of oil.
Old 05-11-12, 11:14 AM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

Like I stated before, if the car is not leaking oil then its burning it, either thru the valve guides or piston rings. Only 2 places oil can get thru to combustion chamber. Another thing you can check is a bad pcv valve, pull the intake tube and see if there is oil in the throttle body or intake manifold, if so it could be that you have a pcv valve stuck open. Good luck
Old 05-11-12, 11:26 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Miles........

06 IS350 122k miles no oil burning on mine.

You may have worn rings, pistons or bad valve seals etc...express your concerns to Lexus dealer, if CPO you are in luck they should cover whatever it is.
Old 05-11-12, 11:58 AM
MNIVET
Driver School Candidate

You guys are failing to mention that maybe the last person that changed his Oil didn't add the correct amount in!

Fill your engine oil to the proper fill level. Mark it either by taking a picture or something of the fill level.

Reset your odometer.. drive it 200 miles, check the oil level again and go from there.
Dont jump to conclusions so fast.
Old 05-11-12, 04:00 PM
amerquresh
Driver School Candidate

My engine has been a little louder than usual over the past few months - sounds like an older car. Really notice it in 1st gear.

The 'Check VSC' light also came on 2 weeks back, stayed on for 3 days then went off on its own.

Sounds like i'll never figure out what it is until the engine is taken part - COSTLY...
I think i'll just keep topping up the oil

Quick Reply: Burning oil