IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealership loaners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-12, 09:01 AM
andcas7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dealership loaners?

I should introduce myself as I just purchased a new IS250 with the F-Sport package 2 Fridays ago, I was actually into buying the upcoming scion fr-s but with the lack of features the car brought I ended up with the IS250.

I have to say I was delighted with the sales (I know, it should be expected if they want my money), but I can't say the same of the service department.

I decided to do the tints on the car, and so last Friday I had them done, and as expected, there were some bubbles, which have all gone away but one huge bubble in the rear window's corner, it is not going away because it has not shrunk in size since the day it was done.

The day I had the tints done I had no issue getting a loaner for the service, but when I called to make an appointment to get the tint fixed I was told by both the receptionist and the service adviser, that because it is only one window I would not be given a loaner, and also the loaners are not provided for services under 1 hour.

This would be no big deal if they could start the fix at 7:30 and get me out by 8:30 (at which time I'm already late for work), or if they could do tints on Saturday, which they don't.

I had to e-mail the dealer, get a call from one of their managers, have him assure me it will not be an issue when I bring the car in on Monday for a loaner, to feel like the service was worth the price and the price of the car itself.

My question is, since most of you here are not new to servicing with your dealers, is this the norm from your dealers? Do they absolutely refuse a loaner if they believe they can do it within one hour? Would you trust the dealer's work if they re-do an entire window within one hour (this would require the tint to be removed and replaced) and do a good job?

Do you feel like the amount of money you pay for these cars is not enough for them to cover a few miles on their loaner cars? Because I made sure I returned the last loaner with the gas I was given the car with.

Reason I am asking is, if things don't go well when I come back to the dealer I may just return the vehicle. But I want your opinions first, as I do like the car but was expecting easier and friendlier service from them, I don't plan on asking for a loaner on every service trip, only if it has to be done during the week, oil changes I don't mind doing on Saturdays, I'm used to that.

I will try to wash the car this weekend and get pictures of the defect in the tint work so you can see.
Old 04-27-12, 10:01 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Any pics of the car?

I would way normally, they will proide loaner vehicles regardless of time from my experience if they have a loaner availalbe.

If it's something simple, the they can probably fix the tint without replacing it. Also I believe their their actually not done by the dealer, it's done in at the dealership by a third party company which resides inside there.

The dealership always say you pay the gas that you used, but they never did for me.
Old 04-27-12, 10:07 AM
andcas7
Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
Welcome to CL.

Any pics of the car?

I would way normally, they will proide loaner vehicles regardless of time from my experience if they have a loaner availalbe.

If it's something simple, the they can probably fix the tint without replacing it. Also I believe their their actually not done by the dealer, it's done in at the dealership by a third party company which resides inside there.

The dealership always say you pay the gas that you used, but they never did for me.
Thanks, according to the dealer's site, they have over 120 loaners, so they never give me such excuse as "we don't have any available". But they make it hard for you to get one, I understand, I mean I don't think they want to loan a car to every single person, but after you complain about it you shouldn't have to get management involved for that...

I will take pics as soon as I get the car washed, and the day is good, Miami weather starts deteriorating just about this time of the year I got it in ultrasonic blue mica. I love the wheels on the car, the rear tires are huge...
Old 04-27-12, 10:27 AM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lexus service department near my location has a 2 hour minimum rule for one to recieve a loaner.
I did not know lexus provides tint services though.
Old 04-27-12, 10:27 AM
Sango
Pole Position

^
Probably rarely they deny loaners but most I hhave not heard, unless other members around have heard they deny laoners.

Yeh, same car car that I have but mine being 2011.

Yeah the rear tires do look a bit huge but it is probably due to the fact the rear is a 8.5" wide in comparision to a 9.0" wide. Gives an odd preception if you compare front and rear because the front tire bead looks more open in comparion to the rear.

If you get a aftermarket wheel or 19" wheel it can probably fix that. I'm going to get Lexus 19" wheels which should address this as the front is 8.0" wide and rear is 9.0" wide.
-------------------
Originally Posted by evogt500
The lexus service department near my location has a 2 hour minimum rule for one to recieve a loaner.
I did not know lexus provides tint services though.
Most likely 3rd party which works in the Lexus dealership, therefore it's not actually the dealer that does it. The local dealership me, also has an in house 3rd party company in the dealership which does tints and film protections.
Old 04-27-12, 10:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Official lexus policy on loaners is you only get one if the service is overnight.

Most dealers are better than that (mine officially says any service over 2 hours for example) but "loaner if car is in overnight" is what you're officially getting from Lexus as a company.

On the bright side, my dealer has never expected me to return a loaner with any gas in it, but again that's a dealer by dealer thing.
Old 04-27-12, 10:37 AM
andcas7
Driver

I am pretty sure it is a 3rd party, but at $190 for a tint, you would think they would take their time in doing it right...

I actually don't mind the look of the wheels at all. I don't think there is anything I would change on this car having the F-sport package, aside from performance mods. Oh, wait, the sunglass compartment is ridiculously small, as it is for all toyota cars I've encountered so far, that is probably my biggest complain.

By Monday I should know if I'm keeping the car I was trying not to complain about the whole loaner thing, but I hate being late to work...
Old 04-27-12, 11:14 AM
Sango
Pole Position

$190 for all around?

That depends if they are a good shop and the film used. I paid about $700-800 for mine but it's for F1 Pinnacle all around and front windhsheild Llumar Air Blue which was done at an actual tint shop.
Old 04-27-12, 11:17 AM
ZeroSeVen
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loaners whether it's Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc will very from dealer to dealer. From my experience if the car will be held for more than a couple of hours they usually provide at least a shuttle service if there are no loaners available. Anything longer than a full day's work they usually get one of their own cars or have a rental from a third company available for you. This is also varies by geographical location.

As far as your tint job. You will have at least several years of warranty if not limited lifetime warranty on your tints. So just keep bringing it back if your not satisfied with the results. Small bubbles the size of a pencil eraser should disappear in a week or even quicker if exposed to direct sunlight and heat.

Good luck

Last edited by ZeroSeVen; 04-27-12 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-27-12, 11:31 AM
andcas7
Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
$190 for all around?

That depends if they are a good shop and the film used. I paid about $700-800 for mine but it's for F1 Pinnacle all around and front windhsheild Llumar Air Blue which was done at an actual tint shop.
190 was their "at cost" price, they normally charge somewhere around $260 for tints, not sure what kind but I'm sure it's not that F1 you mention.

$190 is higher than the average price here in Miami, there are tons of tint shops, which drives the price down, but I expect these to be better than average quality.

Code:
As far as your tint job. You will have at least several years of warranty if not limited lifetime warranty on your tints. So just keep bringing it back if your not satisfied with the results. Small bubbles the size of a pencil eraser should disappear in a week or even quicker if exposed to direct sunlight and heat.

Good luck
Yea, there were plenty of smaller bubbles that I knew would go away and they did, this one is an exception. T

I did also notice the cut on the tail lamp (not sure the name for this one) was done, in what looks like a 3rd grader cut it. Which is why I'll most likely ask them to re-do the whole window.
Old 04-27-12, 12:41 PM
Sango
Pole Position

^
Yeah, not sure. Mine is a ceramic based tint, but you pay for it since it also has heat rejection properties being ceramic. Does not interfere with GPS or electronics compared to non-ceramic which maybe suspectable since it has metallic properties.

http://www.formulaone.com/en/pinnacle.aspx
Old 04-27-12, 01:03 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

My dealership always ask me do i want the loaner, no matter what i am getting done.
Old 04-27-12, 01:12 PM
andcas7
Driver

Originally Posted by p0lo8
My dealership always ask me do i want the loaner, no matter what i am getting done.
Even the first time I went in they "assumed" I was going to wait, so I had to ask for it, which is kind of what got me started with them.
Old 04-29-12, 05:23 PM
stef_khan
Driver School Candidate

I always go to JM Lexus in Margate and have never had an issue with getting a loaner, if I needed one. If it's just an oil change I normally wait, and the wait is never longer than an hour. Anything beyond an oil change I always get a loaner. The reason why they may not want to give you a loaner is due to lack of availability of cars. JM has a large quantity and very accommodating to their customers, you may want to consider switching dealers.
Old 04-29-12, 05:55 PM
RBnSD
Rookie

See if you can get a reference from somebody on CL for a good service-manager. You're free to look at other dealers too. I use a different dealer for service because they offer such great customer-care.

Last edited by RBnSD; 04-30-12 at 05:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealership loaners?