IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY: 2011+ MY LED Headlight Installation ("How To")

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 09:58 PM
SpoolinTeg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeckt
Just installed the 2012MY LED Headlights Loaded from Sewell and these are my questions:

1.) DRLs -- If i get it disabled by the dealer will it cause me to lose my high beam function also?

2.) LEDs -- are they at 100% after install with no modifications? Is there a downside to this?

3.) Bubbling defect -- Can someone explain this to me? I've looked everywhere and all I know is its bad. Does it have something to do with the LED running at 100% and the Low beam on?

4.) What color temp matches best with the LED strip for Low Beam/Fog combination

Hey aspeckt, I pretty sure when you get the DRL's disabled, it ONLY disables the DRL function. It would probably be a safety hazard if it disabled both totally. If that was the case people would just pull their fuse, like I have for the mean time, since Sewell doesn't know how to disable them!

I think the loaded ones from Sewell are 100% already when installed, but I didn't get mine from Sewell, I got mine from another dealership in Grapevine Texas. The only thing people don't like when only having it at 100% the whole time is that it kind of drowns out the Low beams. There are several DIY's to follow that show you how to wire them the correct way, and it is not hard at all. 100% when lows are off and 50% when lows are on.
Old 03-28-13, 06:05 AM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SpoolinTeg
Hey aspeckt, I pretty sure when you get the DRL's disabled, it ONLY disables the DRL function. It would probably be a safety hazard if it disabled both totally. If that was the case people would just pull their fuse, like I have for the mean time, since Sewell doesn't know how to disable them!

I think the loaded ones from Sewell are 100% already when installed, but I didn't get mine from Sewell, I got mine from another dealership in Grapevine Texas. The only thing people don't like when only having it at 100% the whole time is that it kind of drowns out the Low beams. There are several DIY's to follow that show you how to wire them the correct way, and it is not hard at all. 100% when lows are off and 50% when lows are on.
thanks for the response....so theres a DRL fuse? and if i pull it, i can still use my hi beams?
Old 03-30-13, 05:41 PM
SpoolinTeg
Driver School Candidate

I went ahead and just pulled the bulbs instead of the fuse. It was a lot easier for the time being. I rarely drive at night, so the high beams aren't all that much of a factor right now. I'm still in the process of finding a dealer capable of disabling the DRL's for me.
Old 03-30-13, 05:46 PM
SpoolinTeg
Driver School Candidate

And just an FYI, because I never got a straight answer from anyone, you can buy the relays and harnesses to wire up the headlights the CORRECT way, from Oreilly's. I tried Autozone to no avail.
Old 03-31-13, 02:57 AM
koksik
Lead Lap

I just got my led headlight straight from japan. And I have small problem, I dont have puprle cable.. Any ideas how to rewire them?
Name:  005-1_zps4932e0a1.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  35.4 KB
Old 03-31-13, 05:39 AM
Stavros
Rookie

How does it compare with your previous headlight connector?
You basically want to find the sidelight cable.

Have you plugged them in to see what happens?
Old 03-31-13, 06:09 AM
koksik
Lead Lap

No i didt becouse I have to order harness and flasher relay for them
Old 03-31-13, 08:50 AM
Stavros
Rookie

What harness mate?
I bought a flasher from ebay because I'm running V-Leds Triton V3's all around, delivered in three days.
Old 04-15-13, 08:02 PM
Vibes63
Pole Position

I was wondering if anyone has a clear picture of how to move the wires? I would like to have the LEDS on 100% of the time.. Also is there any tool that you need to move the wires?
Old 05-11-13, 09:43 AM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so I did the conversion but I have a couple issues.

1. The led's, are they supposed to turn on automatically when you turn ignition on OR does it only turn on when you tune the parking lights on......I say this because I have that issue that when the car is on the LED's are not on but only when I turn the parking lights to the on position.

2. Also the DRL's if the dealership does not know how to turn them off will pulling the fuse have any affect in the future

Thanks....
Old 05-13-13, 05:45 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RobzKar
Ok so I did the conversion but I have a couple issues.

1. The led's, are they supposed to turn on automatically when you turn ignition on OR does it only turn on when you tune the parking lights on......I say this because I have that issue that when the car is on the LED's are not on but only when I turn the parking lights to the on position.

2. Also the DRL's if the dealership does not know how to turn them off will pulling the fuse have any affect in the future

Thanks....
My LEDs are only on when I turn the parking lights or low beams on.
Old 05-13-13, 07:19 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

anyone know which pins on the OEM connector are related to headlamp leveling and which pins are related to AFS?

also, how do you test that the headlamp auto leveling is still working?
Old 06-19-13, 03:34 PM
ptothedroh
Driver School Candidate

Default Success!!

Thanks to cyberscorp for a Superior DIY. Couldn't of done it without it.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: 2011+ MY LED Headlight Installation ("How To")-image.jpg  
Old 06-20-13, 05:21 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
My LEDs are only on when I turn the parking lights or low beams on.
If you tap into an ignition power source you wont have a need to have your parking lights on. I just installed a set on my sisters IS250 and I have hers working like factory.

Once Igniton is one LED's come on

Low beams ON LED's switch to 50% power.

Also her Auto Leveling work but I had to turn black out her blinking AFS light

Last edited by B16da9; 06-20-13 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-20-13, 05:34 AM
Tactical
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by B16da9
If you tap into an ignition power source you wont have a need to have your parking lights on. I just installed a set on my sisters IS250 and I have hers working like factory.

Once Igniton is one LED's come on

Low beams ON LED's switch to 50% power.

Also her Auto Leveling work but I had to turn black out her blinking AFS light
What power source did you tap into?

Quick Reply: DIY: 2011+ MY LED Headlight Installation ("How To")