IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 deal-breakers...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 07:55 PM
BrooklynNY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 deal-breakers...?

My price range for an IS350 is a little under $23,000 and I see I can get a car ranging from 2006-2008 with reasonable miles on it. Hopefully I will have this car before September.

Now my question is... I recently have been spending a little more time on this forum reading deep and must get out of my head the 2IS's are bulletproof. On BMW forums sites, the problems users have seem to jump out at you but on here i feel like you have to sort of dig a little deeper.

Anwyay: two main concerns I have include the Navigation and the Rattles. As for Navigation.. is it really that outdated and slow? I really don't mind the setup and appearance but is it correct for some people to call it "ancient". I can deal with an older setup but if it was slow, unresponsive, freezing, that would drive me mad.

As for the Rattles? are their really that many of them that pop up? Are they fixable? I plan to keep this car until 2016 and that would drive me mad.
Old 04-22-12, 08:05 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't call my '09 NAV slow/ancient. Out dated, possibly, but only because Houston constantly changes and I have never updated the NAV (it's about $170 I think). Rattles... I have a 250, all the same in the "rattles" category as far as I know, but I have never experienced any or riden in one with this issue. To be honest. Ive always felt like people are too picky about the rattles or don't drive with a radio on, I just don't see the rattles being SO loud it would make me get it fixed... But that's just my opinion!
Old 04-22-12, 08:05 PM
slownlow07
Driver

IMO, I have an 07 is350. Just got it a month ago with 79k miles on it. Currently has 85k miles. So far some rattles I've notice are the driver seat. When you sit down on it, it squeaks. The other thing I've notice is the dash board having a crack noise every now and again which I have yet to find out what it is. These two overall are my main "rattles" but do not bother me much.
Old 04-22-12, 08:23 PM
blajoieSG
Driver School Candidate

I agree with the previous poster, sometimes the divers seat will squeak when you initially get into the car. Not many excessive rattles otherwise. I think people are being far too sensitive, no car will be 100% without the occasional squeak/rattle.

And I have never had any issues with the nav (at least in the north east). Certainly not slow and never hangs up/freezes. I love the large screen and find the interface very easy to use and quite intuitive.

Also just a shameless/convenient plug here =)
My 07 IS350 is for sale (66K miles)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...s-1-owner.html
Old 04-22-12, 08:26 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

My '06 IS350 just rolled over 30k this weekend. Had it since new, and have zero rattles. As for the nav, it's WAY better than most and pretty fast at re-routing. IMO the '06-'07 Nav UI look is nicer looking than the newer Lexus units (dark buttons). I haven't upgraded my map disc yet for fear it will update to the newer fugly look.
Old 04-22-12, 08:59 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First off, I wouldn't say you have to "dig deeper" to find out about the issues with the 2IS. I wrote a Buyer's Guide that's one of the first links in the 2IS FAQ Sticky at the top of the forum, and it has a whole section called "Common Issues to Watch Out for on the 2IS". Can't get much more straightforward than that: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

That list about sums up the problems and issues that I'd call common on the car. Other people on CL have of course had other issues, but those are the only ones I've found to have a pattern of occurrence on large numbers of 2IS.

I was in about the same position as you when I bought mine. I wanted a 2006-2008 IS350 for around $24k. I ended up getting a 2007 IS350 CPO with lux package, nav, GFX, and F-Sport exhaust with 56k miles on it for $24.5k. I've absolutely loved the car.

As far as your main two concerns: luckily for me, the dash was rattling like crazy when I took it for a test drive, and I told the salesman they'd have to agree to fix it if I bought the car (which they did). It unfortunately took 5 separate trips to the dealer to get it sorted, but none of it was out of pocket for me and it's now 100% silent. When the dash was rattling though, it was horrendously annoying. If I were you I would highly recommend you check the dealer service history to ensure that the issue's been addressed in the past. I'd also test drive it extensively over many different road conditions. What I've found is that the rattle seems to appear around the 40-60k mark. If it hasn't presented by then, in many cases it won't present at all. Just be aware that no extended warranties cover this rattle.

Other than the dash rattle I really have had no other rattles to speak of. The car's extremely quiet.

On the nav - I never use it for actual navigation because I have an iPhone, which will always be infinitely better than a car's stock nav system as it's quicker and always up to date. My personal opinion is that while the Lexus nav may seem a little outdated, next to an iPhone pretty much any OEM nav does as well. I've never met a stock nav system I loved. As has been said many times on here, a $150 Garmin will perform better than pretty much any stock nav system.

My advice would be not to focus on the nav in this decision, because at your $23k price point, you'll likely only be looking at cars in the 2006-2008 range (be it Lexus, BMW, etc), and they'll all be of a similar level of modernity and sophistication. I personally like the Lexus nav much better than its competitors.
Old 04-22-12, 09:36 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
On the nav - I never use it for actual navigation because I have an iPhone, which will always be infinitely better than a car's stock nav system as it's quicker and always up to date. My personal opinion is that while the Lexus nav may seem a little outdated, next to an iPhone pretty much any OEM nav does as well. I've never met a stock nav system I loved. As has been said many times on here, a $150 Garmin will perform better than pretty much any stock nav system.
I hate it when people (like this) get hung up on the stock nav, saying it's slow, out of date, and inappropriately compare it a $150 Garmin or a phone. They don't seem to realize you're getting more that just the nav with the option (backup camera, BT, voice command, etc). (1) a phone nav isn't going to do you any good when you've got no signal, and/or (2) have to pay extra for a decent turn-by-turn app, (3) sure the phone may have some newer map data, but who doesn't prefer a 7" screen over a small phone or garmin block stuck to their dash or windshield. I guess people with no aesthetic and/or cheap prefer external navs.
Old 04-22-12, 09:47 PM
aix37
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I hate it when people (like this) get hung up on the stock nav, saying it's slow, out of date, and inappropriately compare it a $150 Garmin or a phone. They don't seem to realize you're getting more that just the nav with the option (backup camera, BT, voice command, etc). (1) a phone nav isn't going to do you any good when you've got no signal, and/or (2) have to pay extra for a decent turn-by-turn app, (3) sure the phone may have some newer map data, but who doesn't prefer a 7" screen over a small phone or garmin block stuck to their dash or windshield. I guess people with no aesthetic and/or cheap prefer external navs.
My post does not add anything substantial..but AMEN to above
Old 04-22-12, 09:51 PM
BrooklynNY
Rookie

Originally Posted by calvin2376
First off, I wouldn't say you have to "dig deeper" to find out about the issues with the 2IS. I wrote a Buyer's Guide that's one of the first links in the 2IS FAQ Sticky at the top of the forum, and it has a whole section called "Common Issues to Watch Out for on the 2IS". Can't get much more straightforward than that: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

That list about sums up the problems and issues that I'd call common on the car. Other people on CL have of course had other issues, but those are the only ones I've found to have a pattern of occurrence on large numbers of 2IS.

I was in about the same position as you when I bought mine. I wanted a 2006-2008 IS350 for around $24k. I ended up getting a 2007 IS350 CPO with lux package, nav, GFX, and F-Sport exhaust with 56k miles on it for $24.5k. I've absolutely loved the car.

As far as your main two concerns: luckily for me, the dash was rattling like crazy when I took it for a test drive, and I told the salesman they'd have to agree to fix it if I bought the car (which they did). It unfortunately took 5 separate trips to the dealer to get it sorted, but none of it was out of pocket for me and it's now 100% silent. When the dash was rattling though, it was horrendously annoying. If I were you I would highly recommend you check the dealer service history to ensure that the issue's been addressed in the past. I'd also test drive it extensively over many different road conditions. What I've found is that the rattle seems to appear around the 40-60k mark. If it hasn't presented by then, in many cases it won't present at all. Just be aware that no extended warranties cover this rattle.

Other than the dash rattle I really have had no other rattles to speak of. The car's extremely quiet.

My advice would be not to focus on the nav in this decision, because at your $23k price point, you'll likely only be looking at cars in the 2006-2008 range (be it Lexus, BMW, etc), and they'll all be of a similar level of modernity and sophistication. I personally like the Lexus nav much better than its competitors.
thank you for all the replies. I guess I would be able to get a few rattles fixed if they did become a problem after a while but I would definitely do an extensive test drive. Hopefully I can end up in a situation as you did and get as great of a deal as you did.

No I am sorry I really did not explain enough. I love the Nav set up and really don't think it will be a problem, its just reviews I have read and posts here that turned me off a bit. I also really do not plan on using the Nav itself too much but I will use it, I can also as stated use my iPhone but I will 100% use and appreciate it for the backup camera, voice command etc. and obviously the radio which is connected to it. This is what I was wondering if it became slow on a 6 year car but from what you guys have said that is not the case.
Old 04-23-12, 05:05 AM
speedstar
Pole Position

I have an '06 IS350 and have no rattles what so ever.

As for the NAV, I've used it a few times already and no issues or complaints with it.
Old 04-23-12, 07:30 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I notice the seat rattle, but that's just getting in the car, no rattles anywhere else, and I have 103K on my lovely
Old 04-23-12, 07:32 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

To be fair, you can get BT and voice command on the Garmin too...and the entire unit, which you can take on trips to use in rental cars as well, and comes with free lifetime maps and free traffic (which the 06-09 Lexus unit doesn't do at all) costs less than one map update from Lexus.

(You can even do an aftermarket nav with a backup camera, but you might have to go a little more than 150 there)

Anyway, how crappy the actual OEM nav system is aside, the bigger issue as the OP states is that while folks don't even use it for nav much, it kinda sucks when the screen goes out and the dealer wants $2500 for your radio/AC controls to work properly again...

A problem easily avoided by just getting a car without the nav option, and using the better-featured Garmin for the few times you actually need nav and your phone isn't sufficient.
Old 04-23-12, 07:46 AM
ydnandy
Pole Position

I have an 08 350 (49k miles) with nav and i love it. My only complaint about it was the outdated maps when I purchased it. That was easily fixed with updated map software (PM me if you want more info). I have done the phone as a gps device for a few years and prefer the lexus navigation now. The large screen and loud commands are great. Not relying on a cell signal and a phone charger is also nice... its much easier to glance at that large screen than worry about mounting phone on the windshield or holding it. Also, everyone that gets in my car loves the backup camera when it comes on.

I guess one complaint that I do have about the navigation is that you must be stopped to enter a destination. Kinda annoying if you are in a hurry to get moving... There are hacks for this, i just haven't taken the plunge yet.

I just recently started to notice one rattle that seems to come from my roof right behind the sunroof... I only hear it when I have my sub cranked up, so I blame the sub for that.
Old 04-23-12, 07:54 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My '07 just hit 60K this weekend. There are a couple of rattles but they only come up maybe 20% of the time I'm in my car so it's not a dealbreaker. The navigation has never been updated on mine and I have yet to have problems other than it using a longer route than needed since a new road was built.
Old 04-23-12, 08:05 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Had 2 IS 350's nothing ever wrong with either one, no Rattles on the one I still have and no Nav issues. Its not blinding fast mind you, but it works juts fine. NOTE***** The only thing I dont like it when driving it locks you out of the Directions function. When im driving and my girl says she wants to go get a smoothie she may attempt to look for smoothies on the NAV but I have to stop the car or go 3mph or less to allow it to let you in and find something. My Tom Tom doesnt have that feature lol

Quick Reply: IS350 deal-breakers...?