Front passenger tire extreme wear on inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-12, 07:40 PM
dmpus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front passenger tire extreme wear on inside

Hey guys,

I have heard of the usual wear on the inside front tires due to the enhanced toe on many sport cars, however what I discovered today was kinda disturbing... Look at the picture

the car is 09 is350 stock tires, OEM sport suspension, 55k miles

Old 04-21-12, 07:45 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

alignment my friend! that or a bad tire...
Old 04-21-12, 07:50 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Your lucky to get 55k on one set. Some member replace at 25k. Have them adjust the toe.
Old 04-21-12, 07:50 PM
dmpus
Rookie

Originally Posted by MashinA

Car drives straight, by eye tires look normal camber wise.. The drivers side does not have that dramatic wear. I admit, I drive pretty aggressive, but don't think its my driving style the main reason..

I was on the market for 19" wheels, but this situation calls for immediate action.. new tires tomorrow on my stock wheels
Old 04-21-12, 07:52 PM
dmpus
Rookie

Originally Posted by laobo979
Your lucky to get 55k on one set. Some member replace at 25k. Have them adjust the toe.
I recently bought the car at 48k miles.. I doubt next set of tires will last that long lol ...
Old 04-21-12, 08:01 PM
Quik208
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alignment is what you need!
Old 04-21-12, 09:34 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely get your alignment done. Simply can't tell by eye what's going unless it's on the rack.

One thing I can already tell you is that your geometry is off which needs to be corrected as part of the alignment. Need to find an alignment shop which is experienced in this.
Old 04-21-12, 09:49 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats funny about these cars is that i got 19k out of my rear tires and need to be replaced cause of inside wear but my fronts look like they have another 10-15k to go and im not hard on my 250 at all
Old 04-21-12, 10:16 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
It's a geometry thing there too because it should not be like that.
Old 04-22-12, 02:26 AM
dmpus
Rookie

Originally Posted by MashinA
Mashina, where are you originally from?
Old 04-22-12, 05:12 AM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the alignment checked for camber, but that really looks more like the tire is rubbing something. I've seen lots of camber wear and there is usually more wear within a three inch range of the metal wires. From the pic, that looks more like a groove than a worn area......
Old 04-22-12, 06:26 AM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are those the original tires? If so congrats.

Camber or toe is off, simple answer get an alignment when you get the new tires but get that new tire(s) asap.
Old 04-22-12, 07:52 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

There is a big IS-F thread on this because the same thing happens on their cars. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...alignment.html

Be careful when reading it because there is some confusion over whether negative or positive is toe out or toe in.

But I can give you the Cliffs notes right now that they've tried toe out, zero toe and toe in and you still get inside edge wear.

My belief is the same as this post:
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes, but toe is the most critical for uneven tire wear. At this point, I'm pretty certain the problem is the bushings are too soft and under braking the front toes out more than anyone expects causing the inside edge wear to be far more than anyone familiar with alignment would believe.
So if you do a lot of braking (city driving or track) it is inevitable that you will get inside edge wear no matter what your toe is, so you have to keep an eye on it because the insides are hard to see.

If you do mostly highway driving with little braking, like me, then you should set your toe to spec--slight toe in or zero toe. You probably won't get any inside edge wear until much later in the tires' life, but you still have to brake some time so it will eventually show up. If you set too much toe in, the outside edges will wear, which happened to me.
Old 04-22-12, 09:12 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny to see this post now, just dealt with this last week.

I have a 2007 IS350 with 70k miles on it, bought it used with 56k miles. Not sure how long the tires had been on before I bought it. When I painted my calipers 6 months ago I noticed the exact same thing you're talking about - excessive wear only on the inner edge of the front tires. Last weekend I came home from a weekend trip to find my front left tire flat. I filled it up and it held air for a day before leaking out again. I took it to a shop across the street expecting them to tell me I had a nail or something. Instead, they told me that the inner edges of both my front tires were so worn down that they were splitting apart and leaking air - he was surprised they hadn't blown yet.

I got two new front tires and then took my car to the nearest Lexus dealer for an alignment. They said they definitely noticed the toe was off but not terribly. I told him that it appeared the 2IS had this problem with the toe even at the stock specs and he said they can only re-align to stock specs.

I definitely won't be pleased if after this alignment the problem continues happening, but from everything I'm reading on CL and lobuxracer's post above it seems like it will. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it entirely? Was it just a stock-spec alignment that fixed it or did you have to do something else?
Old 04-22-12, 09:28 AM
swirvin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah it looks like a camber problem. Look at this website for some good information about different types of tire wear & causes.

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

Quick Reply: Front passenger tire extreme wear on inside