IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 Audi S4 vs. 2IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 11:40 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but the 2008 s4 looks so nice! Audi said I can get an extended warranty for $2500 that will cover it for 7 years from manufacture date (so 7 years from 2008) or 100k which ever comes first.

I guess timing chain is consider ware and tear so not covered under warranty.
Old 04-19-12, 12:30 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

There is no question, German cars and Audis are expensive to hold onto after the warranty ends. If you are good friends with a mechanic, this might not be such a big problem.
The pluses are they are solidly built, handle well and let you feel the road, have a beautiful interior and dash, and are exclusive. I really liked my 2003 A4, which was quite reliable up to about 42k miles, when someone broadsided me. The Lexus is stylish, reliable, and luxurious, but you give up driver involvement and some fun.
Old 04-19-12, 04:07 AM
Trendzero
Driver

This. Had a B7 S4 prior and below is a known issue. Sold mine with 55k due to constant little things going wrong with large repair bills. Fun car to drive, while its running.

Originally Posted by mbeach
Timing chain self-destructs right about 9x,000 miles. Bad guides.
To replace (as a precautionary measure) requires removal of the engine, as the timing gear is on the firewall side of the motor.
Fail to replace the guides and chain = catastrophic engine failure. It's an interference engine, so if timing goes awry, you're smashing valves and pistons in no time.

I was actually told to keep money in the bank for a replacement engine.
Old 04-19-12, 07:17 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the above statements.

I was car shopping for half of a year, and most of that time was spent looking at B6 S4's. I knew about the timing chain issue from the beginning, but was trying to look past it because I've wanted the car for so long. And not to mention how that car sounds with a proper exhaust setup. :drool: I researched up 3rd party extended warranties and from what I read and heard from other people around the internet, it was a waste of money and would only result in butt rapeage. I'd be weary of even a dealership offered Audi extended warranty. An expensive part is going to fail from a cheaper part and they'll only replace the cheaper part for free, so your stuck with a huge bill. Even diagnosis on those cars is insane.

Cars like that are best to be leased unless you make 6 figures and live a relatively modest life in terms of your finances.
Old 04-19-12, 07:38 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Not sure where you're getting your specs from. Maybe 5.3s on a good day. Even Lexus.com says 5.6s. IS-F rated at 4.6s.
Like mong said above, a simple Google, YouTube, or CL search will return reputable publications as well as videos of owners that show 0-60 times of even lower than 4.9. There are multiple videos both on CL and YouTube of 4.5-4.7 runs.

As for the IS-F, a search will return results as low as 4.2. Clearly Lexus is conservative in their quoted times.

Originally Posted by neomedic
but the 2008 s4 looks so nice! Audi said I can get an extended warranty for $2500 that will cover it for 7 years from manufacture date (so 7 years from 2008) or 100k which ever comes first.

I guess timing chain is consider ware and tear so not covered under warranty.
What Audi is essentially saying is that you can buy the equivalent of a Lexus CPO warranty for $2,500, which is extremely expensive. Don't be wowed by the 7 years - that means nothing. What it actually is is a 3 year/100k mile warranty (whichever comes first), since the car's already 4 years old.

3 year/100k miles is exactly the same term as the standard Lexus CPO warranty. And this CPO warranty will add only $1000-2000 to the price of a car, possibly less in rare cases. I bought my IS350 CPO and it was about $1000 more expensive than other comparable non-CPO cars. And in fact when I asked what the price would be non-CPO, they quoted me a price $1000 less. So I was able to get my 2007 IS350 with 56k miles (very similar to the S4 you're considering in terms of year and mileage) and pay only $1000 for the same warranty Audi's quoting $2500 for.

As I stated above, Edmunds quotes the S4 as being $5,000 more on the used market than the IS350. Assume you have two cars exactly similar in every way (as close as you can get in options, at least) and one's an S4 and one's an IS350. To go with the S4, you'd be paying $5,000 more than the IS350 just to purchase it, then another $2,500 for the warranty. Now you're $7,500 over the base price of the IS350. Find an IS that's CPO (which is the exact same warranty as the Audi), which would add $1000-2000 to the price, and still the Audi's $5,500-6,500 more expensive.

And for what? A heavier, slower car that gets worse gas mileage. And keep in mind that having a warranty on the Audi only means that you won't be paying out of pocket for the repairs. You still have the non-financial headaches to worry about - car breaking down, getting car towed, repeated trips to the dealer, always driving loaners, etc.
Old 04-19-12, 08:45 AM
Solid12
Driver School Candidate

This is the same exact decision my coworker is debating. He is thinking of the Audi S4, Lexus IS350, and BMW 335i. As everyone else has stated, he hates the gas figures for the german cars. Working in the auto industry, we see how much more it is for maintenance.
Old 04-19-12, 09:57 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

Is there ever a chance of getting lucky and having a B7 S4 without major breakdowns and maintenance issues or is it every audi is like that?

But damn...love the growl of the V8!!!
Old 04-19-12, 10:12 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, can't forget to mention the oil those things go through. The allowable limit quoted by Audi is laughable.
Old 04-19-12, 10:16 AM
haido84
Driver School Candidate

upkeep for the S4 can get costly. my brother specializes in Audi at his shop and when i told him i want to get an audi he pointed me to the IS350 instead...
Old 04-19-12, 10:18 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

I have always wondered where all the oil goes? Don't current day oils have a very high boiling point, especially synthetic? How can it eat that much oil?

Last edited by neomedic; 04-19-12 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-19-12, 10:24 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there ever a chance of getting lucky and having a B7 S4 without major breakdowns and maintenance issues or is it every audi is like that?

You definitely can - I'm sure there are S4 owners who have had no problems at all with their S4s. Just like there have been IS350 owners with their cars basically fall apart. The comments above about Lexus vs Audi in terms of reliability and upkeep are all based on averages or in the general sense. In general, an IS350 will be more reliable and cost less to maintain and keep on the road than an S4. But there will be individual cases that will go the other way. It's just most advisable to think in terms of the average when buying used because you can never be sure which way it will work out for you.

I knew than Mercedes in general was more expensive and less reliable than other automakers. But I really wanted an E55, and I tried to do my best to identify one that would have the highest chance of being reliable - a one adult owner local car bought and serviced at the same dealer with low miles/year. Turns out that made no difference and the car was a POS.
Old 04-19-12, 10:35 AM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm on the same boat. German V8s sound so damn sexy. I was considering a W209 CLK55 AMG as well. But just the thought of some of the repairs/maintenance items

Just to add some color into this discussion:
Old 04-19-12, 12:42 PM
mbeach
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved my German cars for the same reasons as Fizzboy mentioned above.
Great sound, quality materials and "soul". When they're good, they're great -when they're bad, they're awful.

I almost got into a 2006 E55 (last year for that model), but was turned away at the last minute for fear of a worn supercharger.
Ditto for the Porsche 996, bad IMS/RMS seals and shafts = $15k motor replacement.

I've had a couple good BMWs (E36 M3s, E46 M3 - kinda). I've had a couple good AMGs (ML55, CLK55) again, no issues. What do these 4 cars have in common? All of them were N/A. I don't think Germans do turbos as well as they do V8s and I6s.
Old 04-19-12, 12:48 PM
gyung
Pole Position

I test drove a S5 a while - beautiful car inside and out, the sound was awesome... but it was rather boring and the IS actually felt faster too.

Yeah you can have a lot of problems with your Lexus as well, but comparatively Lexus has some of the lowest number of defects out of all the manufactures.
Old 04-19-12, 02:15 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

I thinking the B7 2008 S4 is a normally aspirated V8. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Does that make it a little better to own? No turbo charging to worry about?

Quick Reply: 2008 Audi S4 vs. 2IS 350