IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Viper or LoJack

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 06:54 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Viper or LoJack

What should I get? I live in San Diego/National City. My friend's car was stolen and a few other ones had the radios stolen all in one night. Oh and btw, this was on the Naval base.

My pros and cons-

Viper: Basic car alarm system, a bit cheaper and could possibly deter car thieves but can't recover my car if stolen.

LoJack- Can possibly recover my car if stolen but chances are, my car would be in Mexico chopped up or stashed right away since I'm pretty close to the border but that's not always the case.

What are your guys opinions/suggestions?
Old 04-16-12, 07:39 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well the good thing is that the ISx50 isn't really a "hot item" for car thieves. The smart key makes the car harder to steal already, but nothing is impossible with the right stuff and a flat bed tow truck.

If you go the alarm route, get a good alarm (installed professionally - i.e. NOT Best Buy) Have the "brain" and the wires hidden, not just hanging under the steering wheel like places such as Best Buy will do. If you want some extra defense, get mini sirens on the interior and make sure the actual siren has a backup battery so it keeps going even if wires are cut. Tilt sensors can be installed to set off the siren if the car is lifted up at all off the ground.

As far as LoJack goes, it's really up to how you feel about it. It would be a great thing to have if your car gets stolen and can be located using the unit, but it doesn't do anything for preventing theft in the first place. But like you said, being in National City, there's a good chance your car is going to Mexico if its stolen around that area. Also with Lojack, there's an inspection recommended every 2 years ($80 i believe) and you will get a discount on your car insurance. Some people don't bother with LoJack because for $500 (or so) you can just pay your insurance deductible and get a replacement car if yours isn't recovered.

For the record, I haven't heard of anyone having their 2IS stolen yet, fortunately

Last edited by KillaIS250; 04-16-12 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 07:40 PM
twenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a CompuStar and add in the Droid module.

http://www.***********.com/features/
Old 11-21-12, 08:45 AM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillaIS250

As far as LoJack goes, it's really up to how you feel about it. It would be a great thing to have if your car gets stolen and can be located using the unit, but it doesn't do anything for preventing theft in the first place. But like you said, being in National City, there's a good chance your car is going to Mexico if its stolen around that area. Also with Lojack, there's an inspection recommended every 2 years ($80 i believe) and you will get a discount on your car insurance. Some people don't bother with LoJack because for $500 (or so) you can just pay your insurance deductible and get a replacement car if yours isn't recovered.

For the record, I haven't heard of anyone having their 2IS stolen yet, fortunately
I have LoJack installed on my other vehicle and didn't do the recommended inspection on the second year and guess what, it went wacko!
Old 11-21-12, 09:38 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I researched (googled) a lot about this after my Civic was stolen last year as I was buying this car. Like the others have said, the IS is not that easy to steal, like the older Civic. My Civic was stolen without any damage to the locks or key ignition -- in fact the thief put a new CD player in the car for me because mine was broken I guess cruising with just the radio is not their style :/

If you decided to go with either an alarm or LoJack, my general feeling is that LoJack is not worth it. Get an alarm with 2-way communication (i.e. it notifies your alarm remote when something happens; Viper 5902 or something similar). Also, get the cellular modules that works with the alarm that integrates into an app on your phone if you want to know where the car is even if it's out of alarm range (SmartStart for Viper and Drone for CompuStar brand I think -- google these).

If you want it "professionally" installed, the professionals would say it's a Lexus so it's very complicated and charge $1,600 for the alarm and install, and if you want the cellular module it would be another $500. Call around and see if you can get a better price.

After I called around, I decided to do it myself. The parts cost me about $400 total with everything (sensors, backup battery, etc, not the GPS module though). It took me a while to have it installed, but in the process I learned a lot about cars; before this I couldn't even swap out my stereo on my Civic. It turns out Lexus is not any more complicated than any other car, maybe more computers, but for an alarm installation it's the same on any car. Check out the remote start thread on this forum.