IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS x50's VS x50 F-Sports?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 04:34 PM
yoegster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
You're referring about the F-Sport accessory wheel, yes they are forged which is different.

I am referring to the wheels which come stock with the F-Sport package, it is premium alloy - if they actually made this one in forged as well, it would be better.
Thanks. Didn't know that the F-Sport Package is a different wheel. Forged vs Alloy is a weight difference only, right?
Old 04-14-12, 04:56 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yoegster
Thanks. Didn't know that the F-Sport Package is a different wheel. Forged vs Alloy is a weight difference only, right?
It's more than weight, also strength as well. Forged alloy are pressed and their molecules are oriented in one direction compared to regular alloy which makes them stronger. It's more technical than that but just simplying it.

In very simple terms, would you have a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?

Last edited by Sango; 04-16-12 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-16-12, 06:29 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hnb
Just to clarify my statements....

You are correct that the springs are sport package items. Also, Lexus calls the shock both a shock and strut in their parts catalog and are also sport package items. I used strut.
then Lexus is using the term incorrectly.

A strut is a locating part of a cars suspension. The ISx50 does not have struts.

Originally Posted by hnb
Lexus also uses sway bar or torsion bar to identify the stabilizer bar in their parts catalog. I used sway bar. Front and rear sway bars are upgraded from the standard IS250.
Really? What are the part #s for the "f-sport package" bar versus the standard one? Because that'd be news.

Everything I've read states it doesn't have different from stock bars.

In fact if you go here:
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

and click on the "sport suspension" link under the F-sport package, it states:

Originally Posted by Lexus.com
Sport-Tuned Suspension
With the use of springs and shocks with stiffer rates, sport-tuned suspension gives the driver greater feedback from the road and decreases body sway.
No mention of a sway bar upgrade. Just the springs and shocks re-used from the old sport package.

Originally Posted by hnb
My post was just to clarify that the F-Sport package is more than just badges as some would believe.

It's some badges and interior trim pieces, special wheels, and the suspension from the old sport package. (oh, and they upgraded the steering ECU)

It's sadly missing all the other functional items the old sport package had (HIDs, memory seats, rain-sensing wipers, power tilt/tele steering, etc...)
Old 04-16-12, 06:37 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Thats news to me ^^^^ I thought all F-Sports had the memory seats. Bummer! I hope the new model gets the heated steering wheel like on the new BMWs. I love ingenuity! Lexus is certainly on the right track!
Old 04-16-12, 07:24 AM
yoegster
Driver

It's more than weight, also strength as well. Forged alloy are pressed and their molecules are oriented in one direction compared to regular allow which makes them stronger. It's more technical than that but just simplying it.

In very simple terms, would you have a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?
Thanks. Glad I have them. Another reason to upgrade F-Sport on a IS.
Old 04-16-12, 08:35 AM
hnb
Rookie

For the fun of it ,,

Originally Posted by Kurtz

A strut is a locating part of a cars suspension. The ISx50 does not have struts.

I'm quoting Lexus only for a 2011 IS250:

48510 4851080539
ABSORBER ASSEMBLY, SHOCK (STRUT), FRONT (RIGHT / PASSENGER SIDE) MARK 48510-53260, (SPORT-PACKAGE) (RWD - REAR WHEEL DRIVE) 01

48510 4851080463
ABSORBER ASSEMBLY, SHOCK (STRUT), FRONT (RIGHT / PASSENGER SIDE) MARK 48510-53230 (RWD - REAR WHEEL DRIVE) 01
Really? What are the part #s for the "f-sport package" bar versus the standard one? Because that'd be news.

In fact if you go here:
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

and click on the "sport suspension" link under the F-sport package, it states:

No mention of a sway bar upgrade. Just the springs and shocks re-used from the old sport package.

Again, quoting Lexus for a 2011 IS250:

48811 4881130661
BAR, STABILIZER (SWAY BAR OR TORSION BAR) FRONT (SPORT-PACKAGE) (RWD - REAR WHEEL DRIVE) 01

48811 4881153080
BAR, STABILIZER (SWAY BAR OR TORSION BAR) FRONT (RWD - REAR WHEEL DRIVE) 01
It's some badges and interior trim pieces, special wheels, and the suspension from the old sport package. (oh, and they upgraded the steering ECU)

My post was only to list the differences between a standard IS250 and a IS250 with the F-Sport package. It wasn't to compare a previous model IS with the old sport packages. Apples and oranges. I also love my F-Sport seats.
It's sadly missing all the other functional items the old sport package had (HIDs, memory seats, rain-sensing wipers, power tilt/tele steering, etc...)
I totally agree here. Not having the memory seats and power tilt/tele steering is a total bummer. It would have been nice for Lexus to offer this as a package for the new F-Sport. I was able to add the HIDs as an option.
Old 04-16-12, 08:41 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Lexus never calls them struts, they are always referred to as shock absorbers. Even on cars with struts, the parts catalog still refers to them as shock absorbers. Not sure where hnb got his information. Lexus never calls them struts in the catalog.

Lexus never calls them sway bars or torsion bars in their parts catalog, they are always called stabilizer bars. Not sure where hnb got that information either. Still, they are different bars from the non F-Sport cars:

Non F-Sport front bar: 48811-53080
F-Sport Pkg front bar: 48811-30661

Non F-Sport rear bar: 48812-53080
F-Sport Pkg rear bar: 48812-53030

The F-Sport definitely has different bars, and all of the updated rear suspension geometry from the 2011 IS F Upgrade (different control arms and rear knuckle). The F-Sport IS250 also gets the larger rear brake rotors from the IS350.

While the suspension does feel similar to the old sport package, there is probably some tuning changes. None of the part numbers for the springs or shocks are the same between them.

NOTE: All that being said, the 09-10 Sport Package cars also had the same upgraded sway bars and a different steering ECU (yet still different than the 2011+), these things weren't new for the F-Sport Package.

It isn't missing the HID's, all F-Sport packages come with HID. It did lose AFS, but all 2011+ models with the LED/HID lights lost AFS. In Canada the F-Sport package retained memory seats, rain-sensing wipers, power tile/telescopic steering, etc. The USA lost them, but I'm sure that was done after market research suggested they weren't features that mattered to a large enough part of the buying public.

You'll find that in general, as a model ages, low-selling features are typically slowly removed as options, as the manufacturer gets more and more information on what the customers are actually buying, and has to use less and less speculative guesswork to offer options that they might want. Then when a new model comes out there are a ton of features again that slowly dwindle down as changes are made. It's just the way it goes. Like I said, the USA lost those features on the F-Sport package, other countries like Canada didn't, and yet other countries still have the AFS/HID non-LED headlights available on 11-12's, and PCS is still offered in Europe. Lexus USA chose to drop these features because people would rather pay a bit less and get the cosmetic upgrades.

The old sport package in the USA was a $3,805 package in 2008 (a bit cheaper on the 09-10 models, the new F-Sport package in 2011 is $2,440. You're going to lose some options when you drop the price like that.

What does the F-Sport package cost in Canada? $11,300. Now it does include more options (like the rain-sensing wipers, memory seats, power tilt/telescopic steering wheel, navigation system, etc.) in Canada, including options that our base model doesn't have (base model IS in Canada doesn't have leather or powered seats, no sunroof, etc.), but they don't sell too many F-Sports, just sayin'.

Jeff
Old 04-16-12, 08:41 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TooFly4Ya
Thats news to me ^^^^ I thought all F-Sports had the memory seats. Bummer! I hope the new model gets the heated steering wheel like on the new BMWs. I love ingenuity! Lexus is certainly on the right track!
Lexus Canada's F-Sport cars have memory seats.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...2012-pics.html

Originally Posted by yoegster
Thanks. Glad I have them. Another reason to upgrade F-Sport on a IS.
Yep, that is why they are able to cut the weight because it is stronger. Comes in handly against a pot hole where on a cast alloy wheel would bend while the forged alloy can withstand it. Of course don't take it for granted and find pot holes for fun lol! The forged would bend if you hit it hard enough of course.
Old 04-16-12, 08:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Lexus never calls them struts, they are always referred to as shock absorbers. Even on cars with struts, the parts catalog still refers to them as shock absorbers. Not sure where hnb got his information. Lexus never calls them struts in the catalog.
ok, so we're good there...

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange

It isn't missing the HID's, all F-Sport packages come with HID. It did lose AFS, but all 2011+ models with the LED/HID lights lost AFS. In Canada the F-Sport package retained memory seats, rain-sensing wipers, power tile/telescopic steering, etc. The USA lost them, but I'm sure that was done after market research suggested they weren't features that mattered to a large enough part of the buying public.
Maybe the lights are another canada thing then, as the US models do not get HIDs with the F-sport package

F-sport in the US is this:

Originally Posted by Lexus.com
Split-five-spoke alloy wheels with Dark Superchrome finish
Front:
18 x 8.0-in wheels with 225/40YR18 summer or all-season tires
Rear:
18 x 8.5-in wheels with 255/40YR18 summer or all-season tires

Sport-tuned suspension and EPS tuning

F SPORT front seats, steering wheel, shift **** and front fender badge

Microfiber inserts for front and rear seats

Heated front seats

Aluminum door-sill scuff plates

Upper and lower grille inserts

Front lip spoiler

Aluminum sport pedals

Rear spoiler

Silver metallic interior trim
No HIDs... (though as of 2011 all 350s get HIDs regardless of package, so only a relevant loss to 250 owners I guess... as you note you lose AFS either way though)

The list reminds me you lose the vented seats comparing the sport to F-sport too... (though you get better side bolstering in exchange)

Are those sway bar part #s you gave universal for US and Canada BTW? I know 06-08 in the US at least there was no difference in the sway bars for the Sport package vs regular vehicle.
Old 04-16-12, 09:09 AM
hnb
Rookie

Good info Jeff. Of course removing previous options from a package will decrease the price but I wish Lexus would have at least made some of them available a la cart. I would love to have had the option to go for the memory seats and steering wheel tilt/tele.

For part numbers and descriptions, I was using Sewell for 2011 IS250 Replacement Parts, http://is.sewellparts.com/parts-catalog/IS250-2011.html.
Old 04-16-12, 09:10 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info jeff.
Old 04-16-12, 09:18 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Kurtz, Jeff,

In Lexus USA you mean HID is not included in the F-Sport pacakge for the 250. In most cases, they way the regions are selling it is that the HID option is added to it correct unless you mean special build.

As for the lights for Canada, yes it is a packaging thing.

For one thing is that they used to allow special ordering but no longer do it anymore. They did give me a response on one of the reasons why they cannot special order however.

Originally Posted by Lexus Canada
Lexus Canada is required to register option packages with the Canadian government in advance of the models being distributed here. As such, we are unable to add and subtract options on an individual basis.
Old 04-16-12, 09:45 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

The list reminds me you lose the vented seats comparing the sport to F-sport too... (though you get better side bolstering in exchange)
Was just going to mention this.

Fsport = no ball coolers = no-go

Keep the bolsters, but cool my nuts!!

EDIT - Also, is it possible they are packaging the Fsport cars differently for separate markets? I remember when I bought my car here in CA, they had two options for the 2011 CA cars... stripped with the comfort/convenience package, or the X-Package with Navi/HID/18" rims. These were the only two configurations available in CA, without placing a special order. I have yet to see an Fsport 250 out here in SoCal without HID/LED lights...

Last edited by Crispy; 04-16-12 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-16-12, 10:00 AM
Sango
Pole Position

^
LOL!! Don't need a cooler for that ha hah. More like butt cooler but I never personally used the cooling feature when I had my 07. Did use the heat part thou!

X-Package is gone as of 2011.
Old 04-16-12, 10:18 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

X-Package is gone as of 2011.
I keep hearing this... but my dealer sold me the car as an X-Package car. This is what I was trying to get at...

Looking at the window sticker for this car, it does not specifically list "X-Package", but I was told by the dealer (Longo) that California cars come two ways, either stripped with Premium Package Value Edition added, or pre-configured with 18" rims, HID, and NAVI. The dealers are calling this the X-Package still, although Lexus may not. I was told this is the only way California cars come packaged from Lexus, any other options would be special order, and would not be a lot vehicle.

I'm wondering if perhaps all Fsport cars for California have the HID lights added at the factory, as I live next to Santa Monica Lexus, and every one of their Fsport cars has HID with LEDs.

Quick Reply: IS x50's VS x50 F-Sports?