IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

needing tires soon

Old 04-12-12, 05:57 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have made a successful warranty tread claim with Goodyear on my RX330. Its truly a pain in the ***; they want all the tire rotations, alignment receipts, then an employee will examine the tires to deem them useless. Then they will drag their heels quite a bit about paying for new tires hoping that the annoyed consumer will go away. But buzz words like "Safety concerns, all calls are recorded in which you have used "safety concerns' and so on really speed up the process.
My claim took 6 weeks, but got new tires balanced and installed.
Old 04-12-12, 11:07 PM
altrego350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might end up running the continentals. We'll see.
Old 04-12-12, 11:12 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 for the Continentals!
Old 04-13-12, 12:23 AM
sulfur
Rookie

Ya don't cheap out for safety reasons. DWS is prob the best value all seasons you can get.

Honestly the savings you make by going to cheaper brands equals what, 2 tanks of gas these days? And unless you drive alot of hwys, that set of tires will last your 4+ years right?

Another way to look at it is crappy tires = slip in rain/snow = insurance claim.
Old 04-13-12, 12:50 AM
altrego350
Driver School Candidate

Ya I was driving 80 miles a day round trip to work. And now its more like 30 round trip. Plus we drive to see family a ways away and what not so we do drive the car. I think I'm going to go with the continentals. Just wish we lived in a warmer place so I could get some cool looking tires lol. Closest thing I've had to cool was the bf goodrich kdw and the toyo proxy 4's on my camaros.
Old 04-13-12, 01:07 AM
sulfur
Rookie

Oh I had Proxes 4 on my Civic. I liked them quite a bit but they seemed very soft for all seasons & managed to pickup every nail on the road. And one tore at the sidewall after hitting some small metal debris.

I just got the Continental DW (summers) today, so I can't comment on these. But I did research and read alot of reviews on the DWS for the longest time before deciding to go 18" summers & 17" winters instead.

If you're looking for sprited driving tires then all seasons are probably not for you, otherwise these should do just fine for PNW climate.
Old 04-13-12, 05:52 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

the DWS arent cool?? look at the thread pattern, thats pretty funky stuff, and the side wall is ok too. You see alot of higher end BMWs with them all the time!!
Old 04-13-12, 06:31 AM
altrego350
Driver School Candidate

I've just always been a fan of the bf kdw's. They look really cool. The continentals aren't to bad looking either though. And sulfur, I get on it a couple times going to and from work but no autocrossing or anything. I have a zx10r for the fun stuff.
Old 04-13-12, 06:32 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I run the MPSS on my rears and love them. I have about 10,000 miles on them and it looks like I can safely get another 10,000 miles out of them. I am pretty rough on them so I am happy with 20,000 miles out of them. I think they have a 30,000 warranty. I will purchase them again on all 4's once these are done.
Old 04-13-12, 06:38 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by altrego350
Just wish we lived in a warmer place so I could get some cool looking tires lol. Closest thing I've had to cool was the bf goodrich kdw and the toyo proxy 4's on my camaros.
I am the opposite I guess, I hate directional tires with a passion!!!
Old 04-13-12, 08:29 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by altrego350
I've just always been a fan of the bf kdw's. They look really cool. The continentals aren't to bad looking either though. And sulfur, I get on it a couple times going to and from work but no autocrossing or anything. I have a zx10r for the fun stuff.
Sticky tires aren't just important for drag racing.

They're important for actually stopping the car.

Better tires are the only thing you can do to impact the stopping distance of the car in an emergency stop.

As I noted, when folks have tested same-brand all seasons vs. dedicated summer or winter tires in snow, rain, etc they've found as much as 30-40% longer stopping distances with all seasons.

The all-season Michelin MXM4, for example, an all-season, took almost 60 feet longer to stop from 60mph in snow than Michelin snow tires in comparison testing.

Those same all-seasons took, again, almost 60 feet more distance to stop compared to summer tires in wet road conditions.

That's why I say don't buy all seasons if safety is your concern.... not because they also suck for racing... but because they suck for everything
Old 04-13-12, 08:41 AM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Not to go off tangent but I'm sort of underwhelmed by the stopping performance of my IS350, could this be the Dunlops they put on from the factory? Also noticed there is hardly any brake dust (actually all the Japanese cars I've owned) every time I wash my car...could it be pads that they use? What's a good set of summer tires that won't break my bank?
Old 04-13-12, 09:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymniac
Not to go off tangent but I'm sort of underwhelmed by the stopping performance of my IS350, could this be the Dunlops they put on from the factory? Also noticed there is hardly any brake dust (actually all the Japanese cars I've owned) every time I wash my car...could it be pads that they use? What's a good set of summer tires that won't break my bank?
Different pads (and it sounds like you have the factory low dust ones) won't change your stopping distance. Only thing the pads can change is the feel of the brakes, not how short the car can actually stop.

tires sure will though.

For example here's the stopping distance in wet testing done comparing the Michelin PS2 and 9 other lower-cost tires-
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...brakingwet.pdf

(the dunlops on the chart are not the factory ones from Lexus) mainly I show the chart so you see that, even ignoring the one really awful tire in there, you still get a gap of anywhere from several feet to 10-13 feet longer braking distances with some tires compared to others even among the same "class" of tire... (the gaps get much bigger as I said comparing say an all-season to a summer performance tire)

full article is here: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

The Hankook ventus V12 has been the bang/buck leader for a while in summer performance tires, though supposedly the price has gone up a bit to the point the Continental DW (no S, just DW, which is the summer performance version) is similarly priced now so might be a worthwhile alternative.
Old 04-13-12, 10:30 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be that air got into your brake system. Bleed them and report back to us.
Old 04-13-12, 12:41 PM
ydnandy
Pole Position

I'll also need new tires soon... where do most people get them? Any CL vendors that offer prices better than what i can find on the web?

thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: needing tires soon